Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric scooter + manual chair...just a thought...

Electric scooter + manual chair...just a thought...

Hi,

Has anybody tried using an electric scooter (see here for some examples http://www.advancedelectricscooters.com/), and attaching it to the underside of a manual chair footrest?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that it could be a relatively easy way to power a manual chair, at a relatively low price...and if it could be easily connected/removed like The FreeWheel, even better...

Cheers,
    Gordon
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I saw someone do this on youtube a while back. Can't find it though.

Cannot think of his name but there is a guy in a chair that designed his on chair and it has a scooter like you are talking about that can be an add on. OK found it Trevair chair...here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5D7DA5bHPc
    Last edited by djrolling; 04-01-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks for the links...looks like it works, so might need to give it a go!
    Cheers,
    Gordon
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

That guys website gave me geocities flashbacks. Besides pattherats ZX1 looks like a much better product.

It's a quick cheap way of adding power to a manual chair but don't expect to go very far, I think they probably run about 30 minutes per charge.

If you want something with decent range, about 5 years I did something similar with a pride gogo scooter and it worked well. It got me around disneyland.

I just removed the seat and mounted a notched out piece of square tubing on the scooters foot plate that my footrest locked into (I could post pictures if you want). Wheelie over the back of the scooter and you're good to go. You can find these new for less than $800.
    Last edited by pattherat; 04-02-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    That guys website gave me geocities flashbacks. Besides pattherats ZX1 looks like a much better product.
    I am with you on that website and I like the ZX1 looks like Pat has a great product and design but I also like the scooter idea and it looks like you might could do some after market adaptations to a scooter that is already mass marketed. Trevair is probably a great guy but at the same time he comes off as a bit much to me...I emailed him about the scooter part one time but he seem to have no interest in making the scooter to work with any other chair but the Trevair

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    It's a quick cheap way of adding power to a manual chair but don't expect to go very far, I think they probably run about 30 minutes per charge.

If you want something with decent range, about 5 years I did something similar with a pride gogo scooter and it worked well. It got me around disneyland.

I just removed the seat and mounted a notched out piece of square tubing on the scooters foot plate that my footrest locked into (I could post pictures if you want). Wheelie over the back of the scooter and your good to go. You can find these new for less than $800.
    yep some pics would be great

I forgot about the frame modification for the front casters, my chair is 15" wide, if yours is wider you may not have to do it.

You can't tell from the pics but the front casters aren't touching the ground.