Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 'Slut-walk' in Toronto

Blog Entries
    i don't know why men rape but i do know there is not one reason, there are many.

sherocks, you do have the right to walk down a dark alley, in the worst part of town, in the wee hours of the morning, wearing a mini skirt and high heels, but why take the risk.

all i know for sure is that at 50 my primal urge to have sex with an attractive woman is still very strong. at 20 it was mind blowing. if you add the triggering of those primal urges(that i believe every man has) with a mentally sick young man you are not creating a safe or stable situation.

all of that aside having a slut parade is a good way of dressing the way you like and having some fun(i wish i could be there to enjoy) but please be careful when the parade breaks up and you go your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    sherocks, you do have the right to walk down a dark alley, in the worst part of town, in the wee hours of the morning, wearing a mini skirt and high heels, but why take the risk.
    No I agree with you and tburst..certainly we should be careful of allowing oursleves to be in a position where the "opportunity" exists for assault..No one is argueing that point..precautions must be taken regardless of how we dress.

The point the woman are trying to make is it is not the dress that made them be raped..it was not the circumstance the woman put themselves..in..it was a woman who happened to be dressed in what today is considered normal club wear who was victimized and then BLAMED..in a way by saying if "ya'll don;t want to get raped then don;t dress like sluts"

I mean how many men have seen a sexy woman and really wanted to rape them? maybe a "rape fantasy" or a ravaging.. but NOT to really want to violently force her..that is not the norm..and we cannot live in a society afraid to dress how we like so that those who may want to harm us will be less inclined ..as like I pointed out..anymore than children should be afraid to play at playgrounds because some sick men are seeing them.

But yes,,no sexy outfits or any outfits in dark alleys..or unsecure places.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I generally don't have a positive opinion of most law enforcement officers to begin with. But when a provincial court judge comes up with something like this, what kind of message does it send throughout the entire justice system, down to police officers?

A convicted rapist will not go to jail because a Manitoba judge says the victim sent signals that "sex was in the air" through her suggestive attire and flirtatious conduct on the night of the attack.

Kenneth Rhodes was given a two-year conditional sentence last week which allows him to remain free in the community, in a decision likely to trigger strong debate. The Crown wanted at least three years behind bars.

Queen's Bench Justice Robert Dewar called Rhodes a "clumsy Don Juan" who may have misunderstood what the victim wanted when he forced intercourse along a darkened highway outside Thompson in 2006.
    Source: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...116801578.html

Bottom line: it shouldn't matter what a woman is wearing. If she says no, then men really need to learn to respect that. And the Canadian justice system needs to hold those who won't criminally responsible.

That police officer should have lost his job. As should have Robert Dewar.

Rape will happen no matter what the person is wearing which is why the officers statement is so off. There is nothing that can justify rape. No excuses.
    Some girls invite themselves to be treated in a manner that they can not handle mentally or physically when they are barely dressed.
    We are having a neighborhood BBQ right now and I brought this subject up with the gentleman sitting in our group, which drew others to the conversation. The concensus is that if you dress like a slut,then you will generally be talked to and treated like a slut (slut being what society has defined it as a provocativly dressed woman). Right or wrong the men said that when they are out and about it they will eye ball the woman that looks the "easiest" in the room and it is rarely the one wearing the turtle neck. That doesn't mean she is a slut by the true definition, but men generally won't treat her like a lady if she is dressed in that manner. A sluty look goes well at the club, parties and a few other entertainment venues. If you are dressed like a slut then you are pretty much looked at like the entertainment in the room. Mix a little alcohol with that scantily dressed woman in the room and see what kind of attention she gets. She doesn't deserve to be raped but she is attracting attention that she may not want.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Blog Entries
    orangejello,

you are right if a woman says no it should be no. and if a man wants to flash a solid gold rolex and a wad of 100's as he stumbles drunk to his car from a strip club he shouldn't be mugged. people with communicable diseases should stop having sex or at least inform their partners beforehand.people shouldn't pollute.

men do respect that when a woman says no thats it, for you to imply that men don't is insulting. who doesn't respect that are evil sick people who can't be prosecuted until after they have already ruined some poor girls life. do you want your daughter or niece being that girl?

get off your soapbox and think before you close your mind. there is the way it should be and there is the way it is. we all live in the way it is, whether we like it or not.

Blog Entries
    orangejello,

if it were my daughter out on the side of the freeway i would be very upset at her choices and i would let her know it.i would not tell her she had a right to act that way. i would also prefer the rapist to be free. it's very hard having a man to rapist conversation when one of you is in jail.

Blog Entries
    sherocks,

this girl dressed like a slut, she acted like a slut, she engaged in the prelude to sexual intercourse then changed her mind. the man should have backed off called her every name in the book and dropped her off at the nearest bus station. but we can't say she was raped because of the way dressed, she walked much further down that path before he became physical.

orangejello,

if it were my daughter out on the side of the freeway i would be very upset at her choices and i would let her know it.i would not tell her she had a right to act that way. i would also prefer the rapist to be free. it's very hard having a man to rapist conversation when one of you is in jail.
    That's all well and good...except you aren't a judge or a police officer in a position of public authority so the comparison with your daughter doesn't make sense.

Blog Entries
    orangejello,

you are right, but what message is better

1) if you dress, act, behave in an unsafe manner it's okay because it's your right and the rapist will be locked in prison after the fact.

2) be aware of your surroundings, save your most sensual attire for those you know well, try to stay with friends, don't get drunk and take ecstasy just prior to getting in a car with men you don't know.

sherocks,

but we can't say she was raped because of the way dressed, she walked much further down that path before he became physical.
    True. the judge stated that she shouldnt dress like a "slut" which is the reason for the march.

and I was addressing that issue specifically.

I wish all rapist could get your kind of justice. Like you said.it hurts all of us in society men and woman to have them around.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda