Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: 'Slut-walk' in Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    ashley,

i can tell you that you can dance naked in front of the vast majority of men without the least concern about being raped. i don't think rape is a problem with healthy men,rape is a problem with deviates who enjoy some sick power trip. i don't think you can blame male society for sexist and dominating beliefs that contribute to our rape society. certainly if i thought a man i knew was contemplating rape i would do everything i could to prevent him from accomplishing it. i would also let everyone know that he was sick enough to think about it. i don't tolerate violence in any form against women. i wish women could look and act any way they wished,i also wish i didn't have to worry about being robbed,or having my financial advisor steal from my account, or drunk drivers killing innocent people on the streets, but i do.
    I'm glad to know you would take a stand against other men's violence against women, I wish more men would.

Really? So you're still sticking to the deviant mentally ill reasoning? Well it's not so deviant when you look at the statistics. 20-25% of women in college report experiencing a completed rape or attempted rape (CDC, 2008). 1 out of every 6 women has been raped at some time in her life (NIJ, 2006) In my opinion, even though not all men rape, the culture and socialization many men receive and are surrounded by contribute to negative and demeaning attitudes that serve as a foundation for sexual violence. The sexual objectification of women in the media and cat-calls on the streets further reinforce that women are objects to be used for sexual purposes and are denied their personhood. Even though men are not responsible for another man's actions, men have a unique role to play in eradicating a rape culture by holding other men accountable and taking female victims of sexual violence seriously without judging what she did or didn't do to make herself safe. No matter how many women tell a sexist man he's wrong, he wouldn't listen to her claims as well as another man's. That's why more men need to publically acknowledge sexist attitudes and hold each other accountable.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    The sexual objectification of women in the media and cat-calls on the streets further reinforce that women are objects to be used for sexual purposes and are denied their personhood..
    Well stated Ashley..this came to my fb wall today thought I'd share it..there is a cat call questionnaire too..perfect.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...543539&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...id=15914543539
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Blog Entries
    ashley,

i am shocked at the statistics you posted. i have never met a woman who i knew to be raped. maybe i have lived a very sheltered life or maybe women don't talk about it. either way i didn't know there were that many perverts out there. from your data a woman can look at 6 men and 1 of them is a rapist. if i knew that to be the case and i were a woman i would definitely go out of my way to not put myself in harms way. please be careful and don't attract too much attention to yourselves, avoid unsafe places and above all report any aggressive behavior to the authorities and to any male friends or relatives you may have. hopefully your male friends and relatives can do something the authorities can't.

Women with disabilities are twice as likely to be raped or sexually assaulted than non-dis women (more than 30-40%, can be more than 1 in 3 women w/dis), with more than 80% of those with developmental disabilities being victims of sexual assault*.

Elderly women are at higher risk of being sexually assaulted as well.

Man, who woulda thought crippled women were so hot and that scrawny legs and Buddha bellies were so sexy! Now I get it...imagine if women with developmental disabilities were on the cover of Maxim and SI, and all over Playboy with their hot sexy selves, the world would erupt with crazy uncontrollable hormones and be one big rape fest! BTW, warn your grandma's ladies, because the next time she goes out without her dentures enticing men with her exposed wet gums, they might think she was just asking to be sodomized.

*given the inconsistency in sexual assault definitions, lack of uniform standards/systems and data collection, and under-reporting, data could be much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Elderly women are at higher risk of being sexually assaulted as well.
    Speaking of, I've heard of the prevalence of elderly old men raping the elderly women because their quarters are so close in the facilities and a lack of oversight of patient's mental and physical abilities.