Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got an SP tube placed ... And...

Just got an SP tube placed ... And...

Yesterday morning, I finally got my SP tube place. My doc said that I could take a shower today, which I'm planning on doing this evening.

Do I need to keep the site covered in some way?

Also I have only been wearing big baggy pajamas pants sine the procedure. But it seems that the spot where the tube is placed is EXACTLY where my pants will be.

Do I have to start wearing a different kind of clothing?

I ask because I ware slacks, with a dress shirt and tie just about everyday (5 to 6 days a week) but since my accident I have put on a bit of weight and have the quad belly! So do any of you have any problems dressing...

Quote Originally Posted by Westley View Post
    Yesterday morning, I finally got my SP tube place. My doc said that I could take a shower today, which I'm planning on doing this evening.

Do I need to keep the site covered in some way?

Also I have only been wearing big baggy pajamas pants sine the procedure. But it seems that the spot where the tube is placed is EXACTLY where my pants will be.

Do I have to start wearing a different kind of clothing?

I ask because I ware slacks, with a dress shirt and tie just about everyday (5 to 6 days a week) but since my accident I have put on a bit of weight and have the quad belly! So do any of you have any problems dressing...
    Where mine was placed and I believe they are all in about the same place (just above the pelvic bone) I could no longer wear a lap seat belt in my chair. I wore sweat pants for the first few weeks then went back to wearing jeans with no problem. I would think you could do the same and dress slacks should be even lighter than jeans. I don't have a huge quad belly just a small normal belly for a guy 6'2" and 200 lbs and it's not really a factor. You'll have to wait and see how things work out for you but you should be O.K.
    ^^(A)^^

At the time of my accident, I was just under 6 feet and about 195 pounds. Due to some atrophy after about a year I had dropped to 175 pounds, but then about three years later ballooned up to over 220 pounds. I definitely recommend getting an abdominal binder or corset as this helps the distention of your abdomen, and was told out at Craig Hospital that anatomically keeps everything in place.

The reason I mention this is because I have known some quads that after putting on the pounds were no longer able to use the super pubic catheter because the weight from their abdomen would push down on the catheter and block it. Try finding out what your ideal BMI weight should be, recognizing that most of us are probably going to be at the higher end and try to stay away from the junk food. There is no doubt that your metabolism is going to change but so will your caloric needs.

As far as pants go, I would definitely wear loose fitting waistbands for at least a week or so until the stoma site has completely healed and you are able to move around the tube without too much discomfort. I wear a suit and tie almost every single day so I can tell you that you can definitely wear slacks/pants/khakis or anything that you like but remember that when you sit you're going to get a few more inches around your belly then when you're lying down. Have somebody measure your waist at the largest diameter, and add about 2 inches when you're looking for pants. This will give you plenty of room to tuck in your shirt, without putting a lot of stress on the catheter site. Do you notice any waistband marks around your abdomen after you take them off at night?

After having the procedure just don't rush anything that doesn't feel right to your body. Biofeedback is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for the input.
    I have gained some weight, however it is not so much that I have gone up in waist size significantly. I wore about a 32 when I was injured now I ware about a 34, which seems like a lot, but after almost three years post, I think I'm pretty much maintaining the same weight.

I do have a belly, but no red rings after I undress ... That I've noticed.

I'm gonna go up another size or two with my slacks just to be safe. (that's a really good tip, thanks Lawdog)

But... what about showering? Do I just close the tube? Do I need to protect the site in any way?

I dont do anything, just get in the shower and wash away, the nurse even cleans around the stoma to get it clean

Just got out of the shower, everything seems ok...

Need to get dressed tomorrow ...

I'll try the biggest pair of slacks I have

You may need to put a dressing/gauze on it in the morning for a couple of days or even a week for the site to heal! Beings the site is new and still has the stitches to keep it held in place! Just wrap some gauze around it an tap to your stomach, NO the tap won't give you a wound or skin issues as long as your replacing it every night/morning. The site will probably give you some AD as mine did and still does today when pulled a little or something. Most of the AD will go away after the site is healing/healed. Good Luck!

Hi,
    I agree with above about wearing comfortable slacks and when changing to dress slacks, check periodically through day to assure it is draining.
    It should not be necessary to cover in shower but I would wear a gauze pad over it during day in event it has some drainage, at this early stage in healing.

AAD

i tape a little piece of gauze around mine n the morning and take it off for showers and for every night. i wear regular clothes and jeans and there no problem w/ the tube even though it's right there below the waistline.

fyi, if u eat healthier foods, your "quad belly" will shrink.

I use a split gauze on mine during the day and dont need any tape, no dressing at night.