Thread: impacted bowel, miralax?

impacted bowel, miralax?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for any insight that anyone might have. I'd been having a problem at night after a few hours of sleep, lower front and back pain. By morning sometimes I could hardly move, and not help with my transfers because I was so stiff / tense / and the pain would cut me in half.

I finally went to the er Monday. The Dr pressed just above to the left of my bladder / near pelvis bone, lower intestine I think. Anyway, he pinpointed it, the pain was severe. Did an x ray and he said I was full / backed up.

Sadly he didn't go into much detail, but based on everything I'm assuming impacted. He gave me milk of magnesia and told me to take colace with meals.

Monday after I got home I went, not small but not huge. Tuesday I went once, all soft, muddy, mostly water.

At night I have had less pain, much less but not completley gone so I'm thinking I still have to go. I have been taking the colace like the DR Said.

Last night (Wednesday) I used a ducolax suposotory. I had results, not watery, kinda leathery, I don't know. So after that I took some milk of magnesia. About 4 this morning had a good amount of mostly liquid results but some was not.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm empty. I fell that I'm not. I feel like when I am I'll know. What should I do next? I came across a post that mentioned miralax. Should I try that?

Thank you for being here,
    Ian

The following is from a book about people with spinal cord injuries and health issues. I bought the manual at a disabilities expo in Los Angeles some years ago.

Treating a fecal impaction involves removing the impacted stool, and taking measures to prevent constipation and future fecal impactions.

MEDICATIONS:
    Medications may be used to prevent another fecal impaction. Stool softeners such as docusate may be recommended to help pass soft, formed stools. Bulk fiber laxatives such as Metamucil may be used to add fluid and bulk to the stool.

Glycerin, bisacodyl suppositories, or other gentle laxatives may be used along with a bowel retraining program to establish a pattern of regular bowel movements. Food adjustments may be helpful in those with a limited diet.

SURGERY:
    Surgery is rarely needed to treat a fecal impaction. However, if the fecal impaction is not removed, the colon may become overly widened (megacolon) or the bowel can become completely blocked. Both of these conditions require emergency surgery to remove the impaction. Part of the injured bowel might have to be removed as well.

DIET:
    Dietary measures such as increasing fiber intake from whole-wheat grains, bran, and fresh fruits and vegetables may help add bulk to the stool and promote normal bowel movements. Make special efforts to increase daily fluid intake.

EXERCISE:
    Regular exercise helps establish regular bowel movements. People who are confined to a wheelchair or bed should change position often and perform abdominal contraction exercises and leg raises. If possible, do these exercises several times a day. A physical therapist can recommend a program of exercises appropriate for your physical abilities.

OTHER THERAPY:
    The treatment of fecal impaction aims to remove the impaction and start a program to maintain normal bowel function. Often a warm mineral oil enema is used to soften and lubricate the fecal impaction. However, enemas alone are usually not enough to remove a large, hardened impaction.

The mass may have to be manually broken up. A health care provider will need to insert one or two fingers into the rectum and slowly break up the mass into smaller pieces so that it can be expelled.

Manual removal of a fecal impaction is usually performed in small steps to reduce the risk of injuring the rectal tissues. A series of suppositories may be given between manual removal attempts, to help clear the bowel.

All the best,
    GJ

I take a generic version of Miralax every day. I know there are potential kidney problems, but it works for me.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Abacoian,

I would add that Probiotics are really helpful in naturally keeping things going...good bacteria..I take mine every morning

We need all the help we can get

Good luck.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by abacoian View Post
    Last night (Wednesday) I used a ducolax suposotory. I had results, not watery, kinda leathery, I don't know. So after that I took some milk of magnesia. About 4 this morning had a good amount of mostly liquid results but some was not.
    Miralax will work to soften stool that has hardened in your bowels. It won't hurt to give it a try and work out your own routine. I say this only because of your description of 'leathery'. Old stool will look slightly grayish & leathery. Good luck!

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Hello,

Firstly, if you feel like you are still impacted, can take another dose of MOM or try 1 bottle of citrate of magnesia which is OTC. Miralax usually takes 2 days to work so not usually good for a fecal impaction. If the stool is watery, it is possible that a larger piece of stool is blocking it and watery stool is leaking around it, in which case, you may need your caregiver to do a manual extraction of stool by inserting gloved finger into your rectum and try to remove.

The second issue is to prevent it from happening in the future, which requires you get on a good regular bowel program going. You dont mention your regular bowel program but if you have none, try increasing fiber everyday as well as adequate water intake, exercise and colace 2x daily. Your goal should be a good amt of bowel movement every 2 days. If not, add either a magic bullet suppository or enemeez 3x weekly.
    If you search bowel prgrams and SCI, you should get lots of info.
    Please ask other questions.

AAd

I didn't read you'r post completely but I could tell that by reading the first sentence that you are constipated. I will sugest you to talk to a doctor so they could give you a prescription of lactulose , It's a syrup that taste like sweet . I will recommend that you take 30cc at nigth and 30cc in the morning when you are constipated. Also when you are not constipated youst take 30cc of lactulose to make sure it get's thing's running. This laxative will not be as bad as milk of magnesia and will probably work better. I wish you good luck and please keep me posted to see if it worked.