Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    What do other paras think?
    If you think your quality of life is going to be better in a power chair go on.

When i will get older i will put an E-fix in my ultralight wheelchair, you`ve got the advantages of a power chair but in the space of a manual chair.

E- fix
    Last edited by totoL1; 03-31-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Disclamer: I'm not a para
    No matter how strong a para you are if you live long enough you're shoulders are going say "fuck you I quit!".

@totoL1...I saw your video, you're the most able-bodied disabled person I've ever seen(no offense). You won't need a powerchair untill you're in your late 90's! By then we'll all be in hoverchairs.

E-fix? Really? I'm hurt.

honestly, the bottom line if you dont use the shoulders they will fail you faster. im a quad func at c6 no tri's 23yrs post, always a manual. if i had got a pc like the idiot experts told me to, i'd be dead. pushing myself to run a manual early on is why im totally ind. how anyone thinks that sitting in a pc not working your upper body is healthy is beyond me, its just silly, and freaking lazy..
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm a high complete para and have both. I find the powerchair indoors to be rather difficult. The only plus (indoors) is being able to carry a drink in it (as someone else mentioned). I can't bend to pick stuff up properly, or have the control I have in my manual. Plus, I wreck the walls/my feet indoors in the pc too.

I also once got stranded in my pc when it died on me. It was a connection problem and I was stranded and called a neighbour. I was home. I had decided to use my pc indoors as my good manual chair was being repaired, and my back up ancient tank manual was making me really angry. I ended up back in the tank and decided not to rely on the pc unless I had to.

I use my pc to go out locally, where the distance and slopes would be too much for me in my manual (my shoulders have been painful ever since my laminectomy). Anywhere else, it's the manual, and I do like to get the exercise. I can push for ages on flat surfaces, but slopes kill me.

In an ideal world, everyone should have both. Unfortunately, our current system discourages development of the types of mobility equipment that would represent "the right tools for the job".

I sincerely hope one of the major manufacturers takes a serious look at patherat's ZX1.

A purpose-specific para powerchair would be an intriguing concept. Something like a lightweight P222SE. Quickie is content to simply continue offering the P222 in its current form until there is no longer any demand for it.

Take the basic P222SE concept, reduce the footprint with a different front frame/hanger design, design it for a weight capacity to 265 lbs., eliminate the need to make it compatible with power seating, power it with Lithium ion batteries, and include a detachable joystick that would allow it do be driven remotely onto a lift or ramp...

...Needless speculation. It will never happen.

It depends on your lifestyle and how much you are limited. As others have mentioned both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have been using an iGlide power assist since 2003 because my shoulders were gone and it was something that would help spare my shoulders and fit in with my lifestyle and other circumstances. I wish it had been available 10 years earlier when I was starting to feel the pain. I am certain that I would not be hurting as badly as I am now. Pattherat is in the process of getting a great add-on power assist to market that will be a great alternative to my iGlide, which is no longer sold.

On the other hand, if I was back living on the farm, as I was in my early post injury years, a power chair would have been great. A manual chair really limited me because of the rough terrain. Similarly, if I was into hunting or something like that, a power chair, even a 4 wheel drive would be great.

Some guys give you the “use it or lose it” bit about the shoulders, but that is without foundation. If you are not using your hands and arms for wheeling, you are still going to be using them for their intended purpose. They did not evolve.to endure use as legs, do transfer activities, etc.

The downsides to conventional power chairs are size, weight, and reliability. Power assists get away from some of those issues. However, unless you have a joystick operated system like pattherat’s, they do not give you a free hand to use when moving around.

The other downside to relying on power assist or full power is the increased tendency to gain weight. Less effort = less calories burned. In my active, manual chair days, I ate about 3500 calories a day to maintain my weight. Since I have started using a power assist and am retired, I have to average about 2000 calories to keep from gaining weight.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

What are some good chairs for a functioning para. I'm at the stage where I have to look at some. My insurance will pay for everything and my wife says the way the economy is, I should take their offer before it gets even worse.

Looking at the M300 Permobile but it is huge and looks unwielding. I was prepared to pay for the Pat's ZX-1 til flooding in my house changed it. So will go with the pc til I save enough for his innovation.

Like SCI-OTR says, it not a matter of if,it's a matter of when. I did all the right things in keeping them strong and still do but time does take it's toll.

So any suggestions for a good part-time pc for a strong yet damaged para. Money is not the prime motivator here, effriciency is.

SCI55 thanks hugs buddy

Gang
    I bought 2nd hand chairrs because I was on my own 7 months after my injury date I was back at home on my own and have been independent for many many years

2ndly I am totally independent too being I am a girl and the extent of my upper body damage I try to save my shoulders as I rely on my arms for everything .

Have a good day GL

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    What are some good chairs for a functioning para. I'm at the stage where I have to look at some. My insurance will pay for everything and my wife says the way the economy is, I should take their offer before it gets even worse.

Looking at the M300 Permobile but it is huge and looks unwielding. I was prepared to pay for the Pat's ZX-1 til flooding in my house changed it. So will go with the pc til I save enough for his innovation.

Like SCI-OTR says, it not a matter of if,it's a matter of when. I did all the right things in keeping them strong and still do but time does take it's toll.

So any suggestions for a good part-time pc for a strong yet damaged para. Money is not the prime motivator here, effriciency is.
    pat, you would have been done long ago if you had not pushed yourself. you know this. you and other old jocks like scott pellet are gimp rockstars in my eyes. do what you need to do, you have earned a break. you arent one of the lazy slack asses,mucho respect my friend.

if i had "saved my shoulders" for the last 23yrs i'd have been dead 10 yrs ago at least.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have both. I hardly never use the powerchair except when it is too much snow in the winter and I get crazy to stay inside. But I can't make any shopping with it. Noone can lift a power chair with me inside up the steps to the shops and the cafes and pubs and restaurants. So I use my manuell, but I like to wheel and I can wheel a lot in the summer. I go to town and wheel around just for the exercise. But I am a low, incomplete para and I don't have any troubles with the shoulders.

I wonder how the power wheels are working in the snow, anybody have any experience?
    TH 12, 43 years post