Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 212

Thread: Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

  1. #181
    >>> I think if a operson could transfer to a car from that chair, they wouldn't need a pc.lol

    Its not about need though. Its about what a powerchair frees up your hands to do, and the extra abilities and freedoms it allows.

    Need sounds like my OT / the system again...

    I dont "need" beer, or hobbies, or a powered lawnmower. Or many things. I dont "need" a little fit blonde!

    But we all have at least some of these!

  2. #182
    I used this post lot when researching my own p222se purchase: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=87236&page=2

    Direct quote from sci-otr:
    "You can actually get manual wheelchair type positioning with the 80 degree fixed front frame shown below. It is my favorite powerchair for para's who develop shoulder problems."

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    T-4 para, 69 years old, 45 years in manual chair. Went for decades saying I would stay in my manual chair until the end. Had an active outdoor life including wheelchair marathons, skiing, hand powered tricycles and tandem bicycles (used to do centuries), and camping all over the western US. Glad I was blessed to be able to do all it. I took in the whole "No pain, no gain", "no giving up" bit hook, line, and sinker. It is BS.

    Both shoulders have at least two ligaments completely torn in two. My shoulders sound and feel like rock grinders. The pain is acute. Cannot safely steer the car, and cannot go any distance once I am out of the car. I am confined to the house in my manual chair - which is driving me nuts. My wife's family is crammed with doctors, and I have tried every alternative therapy. Isometric exercise has alleviated a lot of the pain but not improved function.

    I have moved to a power chair just to be able to leave the house and go around the neighborhood. Will transition to a power chair full time -- this means a new car, and possible modifications in the house so it is non-trivial.

    buegerman has the right idea -- my quality of life would be far better if I had moved to a power chair a long time ago.
    I didn't use a manual chair. For 37 years, I insisted on "walking" on crutches and refused to even own a wheelchair. Once I started breaking bones and had to go to a chair, I went straight to a power chair...I was tired of shoulders and tendonitis (in shoulders) hurting all the time. After going to a power chair, I found out I can go many places I never could before. Restaurants, theatres and malls anytime I want. It's a brand new, much less stressful life now.

    Note: Walking is not what it seems to be!
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne


  4. #184
    it isn't about transferring for me. i need to conserve my energy and have max independence outside. got pics on my new smart phone but it's smarter than me...can't upload and tired of trying

    anyway, that's one reason i insisted on flip up armrest on pc: transfers.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    it isn't about transferring for me. i need to conserve my energy and have max independence outside. got pics on my new smart phone but it's smarter than me...can't upload and tired of trying

    anyway, that's one reason i insisted on flip up armrest on pc: transfers.
    If you can email them as an attachment I will post them here for you.
    On my phone I open the pic, push menu button, share, choose email program, send.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    I didn't use a manual chair. For 37 years, I insisted on "walking" on crutches and refused to even own a wheelchair. Once I started breaking bones and had to go to a chair, I went straight to a power chair...I was tired of shoulders and tendonitis (in shoulders) hurting all the time. After going to a power chair, I found out I can go many places I never could before. Restaurants, theatres and malls anytime I want. It's a brand new, much less stressful life now.

    Note: Walking is not what it seems to be!
    I agree with you. I did walk for so many years, but I walked without equipment so I didn't hurt my arms and I use a manuelle, but the same thing happened to me, I could do a lot more things that I had not done for all those walking years. I wish I had asked for the chair before.

    And I want another powerchair, the Permobil Trax I have is impossible in the town because I can't use it inside in the shops and I need it in the winter on the snow.
    TH 12, 43 years post

  7. #187
    Here is a P222SE that just came in today. It has the 80 degree tapered fixed front frame, a Ride Designs Corbac, and an exceptionally well done Mossy Oak Camouflage finish.


  8. #188
    What is the measurement front to back on that p222se?
    that is a good looking chair........
    Is that camo finish dipped or painted on?

    thanx, lance

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Here is a P222SE that just came in today. It has the 80 degree tapered fixed front frame, a Ride Designs Corbac, and an exceptionally well done Mossy Oak Camouflage finish.
    and my armrests are custom. look nothing like that. i need to get my pics up. i HATE HATE power chr armrests.

  10. #190
    kid sent some pics of my p222se w/customized armrests. attempting 1 upload. ok, more to come. this pic is showing chr next to bed from opposite side i transfer.


Similar Threads

  1. Do Quads drive from power or manual chairs?
    By forestranger52 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 03:29 AM
  2. 2 British manual chairs
    By Raccoon in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
  3. Manual chairs for dummies.
    By feisty in forum Equipment
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
  4. Tip bars on manual chairs?
    By Sci Mom in forum Life
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 09:19 AM
  5. What's new in rigid manual chairs?
    By chipper in forum Life
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2002, 04:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •