Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

kulea, you mentioned height - not sure if ive got the right topic (sorry). i was fooling around with the search function and i noticed that someone said last year sometime that if you ask, quickie can build a p222se with a seat height of 16", and i think that may even include tilt, for which the lowest you can get on the order form is 19.75, i think... also, i recall somewhere in the recesses of my brain that november bought a quickie pulse which is also low - i think 15.5", and thats even off the order form. if you ask quickie, they may be able to get even lower...

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    kulea, you mentioned height - not sure if ive got the right topic (sorry). i was fooling around with the search function and i noticed that someone said last year sometime that if you ask, quickie can build a p222se with a seat height of 16", and i think that may even include tilt, for which the lowest you can get on the order form is 19.75, i think... also, i recall somewhere in the recesses of my brain that november bought a quickie pulse which is also low - i think 15.5", and thats even off the order form. if you ask quickie, they may be able to get even lower...
    Do you remember where you read that? I can't seem to find it. My DME said that the engineers at Quickie indicated the lowest they could build the rear height was 18" which meant that if you wanted any dump, the front would have to be unacceptably high. That's why I want to look at one or get some feedback from someone who owns one, to verify this. There are a few MWD chairs that allow a low height, but I just don't think I am going to be pleased with how a MWD performs in my lifestyle.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Kulea, Is Frankie still roaming the Islands? We were there for the Pac Rim games many years ago and everyone knew Frankie.

Sounds like we are both looking for the same setup. I want to continue to be able to transfer into the drivers seat of my van is a big one for me. You've been a big help for me in accepting the new life. Mahalo
    Unfortunately, I am not really connected to anyone in the disabled community here and don't know who Frankie is. I returned here in 2002 after 20+ years in CA. I also have been transferring into my van seat for the past 29 years and will as long as I keep this van (16 yrs old). It just feels a lot more stable and safe. I suspect my next vehicle might be smaller because of the limited parking options in Hawaii.
    C-6/7 incomplete

GIVING UP In This Electrified world!

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Call me brainwashed if you will but as long as I can physically do what I need to do in a manual chair I will use a manual chair. Aside from very steep hills there is nothing I can't do in my manual chair that a power chair would do for me. I can get myself and my zra in my car in 30 seconds, no ramps, vans or any special equipment. I can take normal taxi cabs (well most of them). Plus its one of the only forms of exercise I get on a regular basis. I am not judging other people, but to me it would be a form of giving up.
    YES! I agree with "...but to me it would be a form of giving up."

Manual is the best choice from what you say about how you are making a decision.

I am 73, been riding this chair for 33 years, (not the same chair of course). & Being seventy three in a chair is a rough bitch believe me. With the exception of the very rich who can afford all the making life easier goodies. I'm not going to get into it all here as the main point here is manual VS electric.

I will not get an electric chair until I can no longer propel my manual. It gives you exercise for one thing, takes up a smaller footprint, easier to transport.

Go Manual!
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras.

I was curious to hear what others on here thought and felt about this, I'm still fairly new at this game, just 3 years post injury. Being crippled is bad enough, but I often wondered how much the manual wheelchair added to making my life more crippled than it necessarily should be. It seems there are so many things I just don't do or get frustrated with because I have to negotiate them with a manual wheelchair. I know it's a simple idiotic example, but to just carry a cup of coffee from the kitchen to the lounge is pretty much impossible without some innovative gymnastics. I watch a friend in his powerchair glide into the kitchen grab the cup with one hand and easily without thinking drive with the other hand bring me a cup of coffee!

There is a member buegerman who has a website http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/

On this page of his site he discusses this, and I have to say I am some what in agreement.

I have my own powered wheel chair attachment that I attach to my manual chair for getting around the city streets. I don't mind pushing myself 10 blocks, but when I just want to go to the supermarket pick up some groceries and head home, doing it all manually is more work and stress than I want to deal with. The weight of the groceries completely changes the balance of me and my chair, the extra weight makes pushing home a lot harder. In combination I really don't feel stable. To be honest I just want to get groceries I don't want a work out. If I want a work out then I'll go to the gym and use the appropriate equipment. With my powered attachment, I don't even think about it, but I still don't have a free hand, I need both hands to drive it and I can't use it around the apartment. At this point it feels like it would be totally luxury to be able to move around and have one hand free to actually do something, better still have a power chair that is mind controlled and have both my hands back.

What do other paras think?
    If you insist on a power chair, do your self a favor and keep one manual chair. You will use it more that you think.

If POWER and perceived comfort is your game: Quickie® Salsa® Powerchair. Google Quickie Salsa Powerchair

BTW that site you note above has some great info and some cool funtional chairs, in England though;-(
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

>>> takes up a smaller footprint

A manual chair? Not always true. Choose a powerchair carefully. My kuschall manual chair is the same length, and width exactly as my powerchair. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-M...powerchair.htm

@ 25 Wide x 36 /7 long with a deep footplate. Measure a manual chair with a 18 inch wide cushion, and you will see that percieved "size" isnt what you expect! Plus I dont have big slab sided wheels alongside me, that stop you turning close to a bed/wall either... I use my powerchair in places my manual chairs will not go!

And some Salsa chair info... Its 46 inches long TEN inches longer than mine. And longer than others too.

And it has small casters so harsh outdoors, and skinny hard drive wheels so your spine gets it... And small 50Ah batteries, and weedy 4 mph 2 pole motors, with a small amp controller. Because of this it hasnt the power for sensible speed and is stuck at 4mph.

More would need bigger controller/batteries/4 pole motors etc. So I dont advise. There are better fully equiped chairs out there that are not as long...

Its very hard to have a seat height lower than 17 inches. If you add the group 24 full sized battery to say 4 inches of ground clearance, and an inch or so above the batteries for space/terminals etc then add a seat frame thats the figure you get.

Thats why to go lower you need unacceptable 22nf gel batteries or the superb Odyssey PC1500 batteries as these are smaller/lower and actually give more power and range than group 24s do... My chair is 17 inches and has lots of dump! And 4 inches of ground clearance.

>>> If you insist on a power chair, do your self a favor and keep one manual chair. You will use it more that you think.

I did that. Kept two super clean polished hi end lighteeight chairs. One sports manual chair, one kuschall folding chair. They have sat in the garage under a sheet with flat tyres for 12 years now unused... They dont do anything at all better than a GOOD powerchair. Other than to remind me how much work they were. I now have 4 powerchairs...

T-4 para, 69 years old, 45 years in manual chair. Went for decades saying I would stay in my manual chair until the end. Had an active outdoor life including wheelchair marathons, skiing, hand powered tricycles and tandem bicycles (used to do centuries), and camping all over the western US. Glad I was blessed to be able to do all it. I took in the whole "No pain, no gain", "no giving up" bit hook, line, and sinker. It is BS.

Both shoulders have at least two ligaments completely torn in two. My shoulders sound and feel like rock grinders. The pain is acute. Cannot safely steer the car, and cannot go any distance once I am out of the car. I am confined to the house in my manual chair - which is driving me nuts. My wife's family is crammed with doctors, and I have tried every alternative therapy. Isometric exercise has alleviated a lot of the pain but not improved function.

I have moved to a power chair just to be able to leave the house and go around the neighborhood. Will transition to a power chair full time -- this means a new car, and possible modifications in the house so it is non-trivial.

buegerman has the right idea -- my quality of life would be far better if I had moved to a power chair a long time ago.