Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    "In all that surrounds him the egotist sees only the frame of his own portrait."
    ~J. Petit-Senn
    I like that!

WFE, Eileen, GinoL - Let's not make this a thread about fuentejps.

He has used a power chair on the beach (which makes perfect sense), so there are exceptions to his rules.

What some don't realize or admit is that pushing a manual chair for some people is just as impractical for them as pushing a manual chair on the beach is impractical. Using a power chair often has nothing at all to do with being lazy. We know this, and deep down so does fuentejps. But it's futile to try to get him to admit it, so let's not turn this into a fuente-bashing thread.

scorp, im not disagreeing w/ u- we actually agree on many points here. but, as u and i both know, many are weak and in a pc because of being grouped in a c5-6 category and the "experts" tell them the should do so. i was told just that. , i bet u were too.

how can anyone say its ok for a young para to use a pc. cmon, i know u love to be politically correct, but thats just not right. we are talking everyday use.

let the "V" brigade make this a fuente bashing party. bring it......dumbasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    WFE, Eileen, GinoL - Let's not make this a thread about fuentejps.

He has used a power chair on the beach (which makes perfect sense), so there are exceptions to his rules.

What some don't realize or admit is that pushing a manual chair for some people is just as impractical for them as pushing a manual chair on the beach is impractical. Using a power chair often has nothing at all to do with being lazy. We know this, and deep down so does fuentejps. But it's futile to try to get him to admit it, so let's not turn this into a fuente-bashing thread.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

OK, I am sorry
    TH 12, 43 years post

[QUOTE=buegerman;1348884]>>> i disagree. show me an athlete in a pc, that plays rugby or handcycles

Most people have absolutely no interest in being an "athlete" or "hand cycling" etc in any case.

QUOTE]

maybe this is the problem then.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buegerman View Post
    >>> i disagree. show me an athlete in a pc, that plays rugby or handcycles

Most people have absolutely no interest in being an "athlete" or "hand cycling" etc in any case.
    maybe this is the problem then.
    You bet! Our population is no different than the AB population. I didn't play sports before my injury. Why would I want to now?

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

You're right, John, you and I do agree on a lot. I think everyone should push themselves, and I've always promoted that. I'm still learning more and finding more I can do almost 21 years out. I just think the lazy gimps are outnumbered by the gimps who push themselves while you think the opposite is true.

scorp, im not disagreeing w/ u- we actually agree on many points here. but, as u and i both know, many are weak and in a pc because of being grouped in a c5-6 category and the "experts" tell them the should do so. i was told just that. , i bet u were too.
    I know a lot of quads were told to go with a power chair, particularly back when you and I were injured (I was injure a couple years after you, 1990 for me). But it was never suggested for me at Tampa General in 1990/'91, not once. In fact, all the therapists there pushed quads to get into manual chairs if they could, and they also encouraged us to be as independent as possible. Maybe Tampa General was just more progressive at the time than other rehab centers.

how can anyone say its ok for a young para to use a pc. cmon, i know u love to be politically correct, but thats just not right. we are talking everyday use.
    Ha! I don't love or even try to be politically correct. I just see a lot of greys with regards to SCI and quads and I don't just see lots of black and white based on my own experiences.

There's no doubt that some people are lazy, but we can't assume that the majority of quads who use a power chair do so because of laziness. Now, if a young para with no physical issues (shoulder problems, weight, living in a very hilly area, etc) is using a power chair full-time, they're probably lazy. I've never suggested otherwise. But there are a lot of examples given by very non-lazy paras on CareCure of ways a power chair can be very useful (off-road, working outside on the lawn or on a car, going to work a couple miles away w/no car, etc etc).

Patrick's explained very well why using a power chair is going to be good as his main chair for him at this point in his life, and now he gets his exercise in other ways (see his new handcycling thread). My point was that if someone needs a power chair as their main chair, they still can (and should) get exercise in other ways.

Years ago, when many of us went to rehab, we were there for months and came out strong and ready for life. We had commraderie with fellow patients and mentors who showed us ways to get by. Shoulder wear out was really not a factor because we weren't expected to live that long to experience it.

In recent years, quality rehab depends on the insurance you have or don't have. Rather than months of intensive rehab at a good center, new injuries get weeks of so-so rehab at the local hosp. If they are lucky, they may get to go to Craig or some other sci center. Most don't. It's cheaper for hosp. and insurance to put a person in a power chair and send them on their way before they have a clue on power vs. man. They are weak and dis-oriented and follow what is told to them. If they are lucky, they may have support from others who can show them by example. I've dealt with more than one person who had three weeks in- house rehab at our local hosp and was sent home unprepared. One was a T/12, 16 yrs old, and was told that she gets one chair every 5 yrs and a power chair would be the best bang for the buck. Thankfully, one of the Pt's was trained at Craig and changed that quickly. DME's push them due to the greed of getting a better kick-back.

I applaud those who decide that a p/c is better for them. It is not for me to judge, but to encourage and ensure they make that concious decision on how they wish to continue their life. It seems when I do judge or say"I rather be dead than...". That situation crops up for me lol.

For me, it is a matter of life quality and putting less worry and strain on my wife. This last episode of rips and tears was scary. It showed me that things keep coming around a little more forcefull until we finally heed what is shown to us.

I don't plan on using one full-time and will eventually buy a ZX-1 power assist. In the meantime, I'll use the p/c as needed.

My main goal is to maximize my potential with what I have left and to continue riding my bike. We were taught in the military to adapt and conquer. That's all we can do really.

Now let's get back to looking a some pc's and ways we can adapt them suckers to do the above.

Excellent post, Patrick. And the short rehab stays insurance companies are forcing on patients really hurts them. It's infuriating to know how bad it's gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Now let's get back to looking a some pc's and ways we can adapt them suckers to do the above.
    Fwiw, I have a good friend with a P222SE, and if I were to get a PC that would be the one. It's designed well, small footprint and stylish with lots of power.

>>>It's designed well, small footprint and stylish with lots of power

???

If that was true I would have bought one!

Actually its not that bad, but very ugly from the rear with its batteries hanging out, and rear wheels anti tip wheels in the way, and a little limited in power. (controller amps/speeed means torque limited)

Tyres better than most powerchairs, but still too skinny and hard for real soft stuff, front casters are solid and a bit small for the real world. Make sure you get group 24 battries and not 22nf... And preferably a set of odyssey PC 1500 instead...

And a OEM level programmer is essential for any powerchair if you want some proper control. See programming aand read carefully! Dont buy any chair where YOU cant get your hands on an OEM level programmer. See my forum... (not dealer or end user)

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powe...rogramming.htm
    Last edited by buegerman; 04-04-2011 at 03:50 PM.