Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

Thank you for answering me

After this long winter with snow since October I have found out I need a new power chair, because the one I have is impossible to use indoors, the minimum turning point are too big so even inside in a shop, I am crashing in everything. So it is not an option anymore, I don't use it. So then I am sitting inside at home because it is impossible to wheel with a manuell chair in salty snow.

Eileen, we have a few curb cuts in the middle of the town but the rest of the places don't have. It is impossible to have a chair that is not taking the curbs especially when it is winter and the curbs are full of snow.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Thank you for answering me

After this long winter with snow since October I have found out I need a new power chair, because the one I have is impossible to use indoors, the minimum turning point are too big so even inside in a shop, I am crashing in everything. So it is not an option anymore, I don't use it. So then I am sitting inside at home because it is impossible to wheel with a manuell chair in salty snow.

You don`t need a power chair, you only need to come to south of Spain and transfer your pension to any Spanish bank
    Last edited by totoL1; 04-03-2011 at 02:08 PM.

I know. The only trouble is my 14 year old who are going to school so I can't. My parents went to Spain all winter the last 14 years they was alive. The bad thing is that they never bought a house and now the houses have been quite expensive.

I have been in Spain in February and the weather was quite different from the weather we have here. I am not sure if I survive another winter like this one so I would really like to emigrate next winter I have been driving down a couple of times both in summer and that winter.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    You don`t need a power chair, you ony need to come to south of Spain and transfer your pension to any Spanish bank

ive always liked the otto bock b600 (http://www.ottobockus.com/cps/rde/xb..._SpecSheet.pdf) but i dont know anything about the performance/reliability. and you might be able to get a p222se into a car independently with a hi lift (http://www.adapt-solutions.net/products/index.php?prd=3), so long as you break it down and remove the batteries first.

Burgerman/SCI-OTR - Wouldn't it be possible to swap one on these Li bateries for the lead acids if they fit? Of course, they would need an appropriate charger too.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Can that footrest be removed for transfers, etc.?
    This one is as fixed as it would be on a rigid frame manual chair
    What did you use to get that combination?
    Bodypoint Extension Tubes for Quickie Qty=2Sunrise (Adjustable angle footplate for a 17"w Quickie GT w/ 2" inset)
    500691 New Platform Footplate 8"w X 5.5d
    550351 Platform Footplate Clamp
    Invacare (A4 Extension tube clamp and set screw)
    1111949 Clamp, Footrest Qty=2
    1026911 Screw, Socket Set Cone Point (1/4-20 x 1/2") Qty=2
    Have you ever tried doing something with the flip-back TiLite footrest? I've been pondering the idea of using it in conjunction with the fold up so I could move the footrest out of the way when needed.
    You'll notice that the distance between extension tubes is still pretty wide and caster clearance is an issue (the TDX SP is 15" wide with 70 degree tapered swingaways). There could be some technical challenges to making it function as intended with this particular application.

Those Bodypoint extension tubes are pretty stout however, and it may be possible modify the footplate clamp so that it is bolted to only one extension tube so the legrests could still swing out of the way for standing. It may be possible to shorten the lower part of the opposite extension tube (see red line in picture) and add some sort of hardware with a little looser tolerances to the underside of the footrest to act as a receiver. That could allow the other extension tube to support the footrest when it is in position.

There may be some clearance issues when swinging them out depending on your particular chair's configuration. For example, the front casters may need to be in the trailing position or the seat may need to be tilted/elevated slightly.

Another view showing caster clearance and where the A4 extension tube clamps are located...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    What drives do most "actives" use; front, mid or rear wheel drives?
    Patrick,

A major discussion I always have with veterans who's shoulders have developed severe enough problems that they have finally agreed to consider a powerchair, is how painful are transfers. If they just need the powerchair to reduce the strain on their shoulders when having to self-propel on grades, side slopes, and outdoor terrain, the lighter rearwheel drive powerbases without power seating are great (e.g. a P222 SE or Invacare Arrow).

If transfers are becoming difficult and indoor use becomes part of the equation, however, then it is hard to beat the midwheel drive chairs equipped with a power elevating seat--provided the person responsible for obtaining the specs takes a minimalist approach and keeps weight and footprint to a minimum.

We have those types of discussions everyday when it comes to ultralights in this forum. As burgerman has stated, that same philosophy is lacking when it comes to powerchairs--even among many end users.

Possible candidates here might be an elevating only version of the TDX SP (with manual center mount legrests or a similar footrest mod to the one I posted here) or the Quantum Q6000Z which is available with a pedestal style seat elevator or a 10" scissor style seat elevator.

These chairs weigh considerably more, but can be configured to be highly manuverable, have a small footprint, and a low STF. The seat elevator not only helps with transfers, many veterans discover they are able to do things much more easily than before. Retrieving items from shelves, cupboards, and cooking at the stovetop become much easier.

With the Q6000Z, I tend to recommend the fold down back canes and the high mount footboard used on the Jazzy 1121. The standard Q6000Z footboard is narrow for caster clearance reasons, and most adult males tend to frog at the hips. The wider 1121 when mount to the seat instead of the base can be angled out far enough to clear the casters, can be transferred off of safely, yet give the Q6000Z a smaller footprint than swingaways. My apologies, but I have no pictures other than the footboard configuration itself. Both chairs do reasonably well outdoors and one of our veterans who uses a Q6000Z with the high speed hammer motors won a silver in one of the PWC racing events at the National Veteran's Wheelchair games a few years back.

I know you are less than enthusiastic about the subject, but you must approach it with the same scrutiny and attention to detail that you would if you were getting a new handcycle or rigid frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    This one is as fixed as it would be on a rigid frame manual chair ...
    Hi SCI_OTR,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Man those BP extension tubes are monsters. They look like they could take a beating.