Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

Gang I have been post 32 yrs or so and I too like to work out etc... But I need to save my shoulders etc...
    Plus I dont cuss
    Theree are some of us here who need certain things because of our situations .

It does not make us any less Hip or tougher or even dead to sometimes have the best of both worlds and trust me I can say that a elec chair will not make someone dead

I am somewhat like SCI55 and worked the farms from my manual chairs onse before lightweiht fancy ones existed . And I live on a farm still ok ? I actually got y first lightweight chair after 32 years to ease y life a little so I am a workaholic no matter how bad someone may knock me .

No one is perfect I dont care how much a person can push themselves and cuss or think less of others

I always lived independently and if people tell me that their wrists or shoulders , arms dont fatigue out then they are full of ca ca ...
    At some point joints , bones , muscles get sore , torn , fatigued
    I never knock anyone for trying , Sometimes a electric chair will be benneficial in these health situations .
    This tread is about helping one another .

I appologize for needing a electric chair in my house
    Maybe I should Take steroids and bulk up and get a 12 inch wide manual wheelchair to fit my butt in
    Then maybe i'll fit in the group here
    What is the name of it ?

Bye GL

Maybe I should Take steroids and bulk up and get a 12 inch wide manual wheelchair to fit my butt in
    What is the name of it ?

Bye GL[/QUOTE]

I trust no one is ragging anyone about their need for a P/C GL. Especially me. I have nothing but admiration and respect for you and the years you have in doing what you do.

I'm sure there are many of the old jocks who swore they would rather be dead than use a pc. I may have been one in my early days and now am looking into them. I've learned not to say "I'd rather be dead than to ...". cause it seems to always bite me in the ass and give me another lesson in patience and humilty. The old guys would just smile, nod and tell us to "Just wait" when we laughed about their bad shoulders. Well, it seems I'm the old dude now saying those same words to the younguns locally lol.

Art have you thought of using a velcro strap around your knees to keep your legs away from the bar frames? I use one and has helped immensley from the legs leaning against them, esp. when leaning forward.

Again any models that people are using that I can take a look at would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    What is the name of it ?

Bye GL
    I trust no one is ragging anyone about their need for a P/C GL. Especially me. I have nothing but admiration and respect for you and the years you have in doing what you do.

I'm sure there are many of the old jocks who swore they would rather be dead than use a pc. I may have been one in my early days and now am looking into them. I've learned not to say "I'd rather be dead than to ...". cause it seems to always bite me in the ass and give me another lesson in patience and humilty. The old guys would just smile, nod and tell us to "Just wait" when we laughed about their bad shoulders. Well, it seems I'm the old dude now saying those same words to the younguns locally lol.

Art have you thought of using a velcro strap around your knees to keep your legs away from the bar frames? I use one and has helped immensley from the legs leaning against them, esp. when leaning forward.

Again any models that people are using that I can take a look at would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have done that for years to....u can only do it so tight as you could break r femur.
    I got almost 36 years in am no rookie....lol
    Art
    Art

Power or manual? With the ZX1, it really becomes a moot question. The scope of usage can be as broad or narrow as the needs and desires of the individual user dictate. From occasional use by a para to near full-time use by a quad - and everything (and everybody) in between. If you ask me, the smart money will be thinking about designing wheelchairs around this thing.
    Know Thyself

I can't do my own pressure breaks, if i go and do a forward pressure break then i can't pick myself up. I see that the zx1 has a little tilt, would it help me pick myself up from the pressure break?
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I can't do my own pressure breaks, if i go and do a forward pressure break then i can't pick myself up. I see that the zx1 has a little tilt, would it help me pick myself up from the pressure break?
    Yes! I do it all the time. I just spent 8 hours at Knott's Berry Farm yesterday and tilting back to relieve pressure was crucial.

Power or manual? With the ZX1, it really becomes a moot question. The scope of usage can be as broad or narrow as the needs and desires of the individual user dictate. From occasional use by a para to near full-time use by a quad - and everything (and everybody) in between. If you ask me, the smart money will be thinking about designing wheelchairs around this thing.
    BTW Rick1 was my first customer and is a C5 quad that uses the ZX1 as his full-time powerchair for almost a year now.

Pat,
    Lots of info on the quickie p222se here. Sciotr mentioned it as a chair for 'old' paras who move into it from a manual. V similar positioning available and v llightweight for a pc. I have one & I also have an fs888 which is an indoor only pc and has a lithium ion battery. The whole thing is >60lbs and it's less bulky than the sleekest of manuals. Folds too. Great for shopping malls and supermarkets

Thanks Amy, that helps a lot. Will check them out.
    Sure hated to have to spend most of the money I had for the ZX-1 but I guess flooding has a priority. Trustfully, it shouldn't take that long to save back up.

Will, we both know that if you initialize the process now there's a slight chance insurance might sign off on it by the time you're 60 or so. The PNW is hills, rain and broken sidewalks...I'm feeling the powered option these days too.

I love my Tilite ZRA with e-fix power adaption but am getting a ZRA with emotions to keep me a little more physically active. I'm not sure if I'll be completely independent with the emotions when outside my home so I'm thinking I'll be using both depending on my day.

I hated my bulky power chair. Much prefer manuals look and feel.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~