Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Thanks a lot SCI, Looked at the video and looks interesting. SOmething I might be interested in and use, compact, something I can transfer from into the drivers seat.

Keep 'em coming, really!

Post: Just looked at the reviews from the tech guide site; not too complimentary. What problems are you seeing ?
    That would be very cool to see someone completely unassisted transfer themselves into the car with that power chair. Not that you'd want to do it regularly, but it looks feasible.

I have a VMI van, so would drive up the ramp and transfer to the seat; if possible. I want the option of driving from the drivers seat and not the chair.

I think if a operson could transfer to a car from that chair, they wouldn't need a pc.lol

Thanks a lot SCI, Looked at the video and looks interesting. SOmething I might be interested in and use, compact, something I can transfer from into the drivers seat.

Keep 'em coming, really!

Post: Just looked at the reviews from the tech guide site; not too complimentary. What problems are you seeing ?
    Overall, they have been fairly reliable, but it is an old design. The old P&G Pilot+/Qtronix joystick cables are prone to failure and it isn't the quietest chair in the world. I've heard of some issues with moisture resistance as well.

These components are readily available since they have been used on a number of manufacturer's models for many years.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I have a VMI van, so would drive up the ramp and transfer to the seat; if possible. I want the option of driving from the drivers seat and not the chair.

I think if a operson could transfer to a car from that chair, they wouldn't need a pc.lol
    yeah back to the original point.. it's not about need, it's about improving quality of life.

If I could get it into a regular car and drive out to the hiking trail then spend a day on the mountain trail, carrying a days supplies, I'd be a pretty happy cripple.

Smile American Trying to Clone a Burgerman Chair

Gooserider, my partner, is trying to clone a Burgerman Mark 2 starting with an American equivalent to the F55. Anyone who would like to do the same should either send a message to me or (better) participate in the forums on wheelchairdriver.com.

Question What If One COULD Get a Burgerman chair?

If some insane person wanted to start a company building something like the Burgerman chairs, would there be enough demand? Could we prove that there would be demand to a potential investor?

I understand that some paras have and like their manual chairs. That is just fine for them. People should do what works for them.

However, there appears to be a population in this discussion who would like a Burgerman style chair if they could get one.

Mary-Anne

The most important thing for me would be if the power chair did make it on snow and how big curbs it could take and at the same time be able too use inside in a shop.

The best thing would be if it took a few steps, too
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    The most important thing for me would be if the power chair did make it on snow and how big curbs it could take and at the same time be able too use inside in a shop.

The best thing would be if it took a few steps, too
    I would love it if my powerchair had wheels that big, especially the casters. I get hung up on things now that those big old casters would just roll right over.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    I'll post pics or links of my most-commonly prescribed "para" chairs throughout the weekend. This one isn't actually one of them (It's for a C5 quad who needed a tilt system and a very specific configuration to be independent with dressing, transfers, and driving). However, it does demonstrate what can be done to some models to replicate rigid frame seating. It is a TDX SP which we modified to have a fixed front frame and one piece angle adjustable footplate...
    That footrest looks a lot like what I did by merging my Invacare footrest hangers and the fold up TiLite footrest. I don't really understand your configuration though. Can that footrest be removed for transfers, etc.? What did you use to get that combination? Have you ever tried doing something with the flip-back TiLite footrest? I've been pondering the idea of using it in conjunction with the fold up so I could move the footrest out of the way when needed. I'm incomplete and can still stand and it would be nice to rest my butt every now and then. The fold up is kind of a pain to put on and off, but works much better than the stock footrests that come on the TDX SR/SP.

-- David

>>> The most important thing for me would be if the power chair did make it on snow and how big curbs it could take and at the same time be able too use inside in a shop.

Snow just needs good programming and off road fat tyres with a rearward c of g and big 9.5 x 3 casters which describes my chair perfectly. Works on sand / mud etc too. Those tyres give a very cusioned ride on the rough streets as well.

But the small footprint and overall dimensions + rearward c of g that makes it so manoeverable indoors, makes it wheelie like a mad thing, (useful if you use its abilities as in a manual chair) but makes it terrible on curbs much like a manual sports chair. Unless you wheelie up / down them... Which I do. Or Find a ramp...

Its very short and tippy! So steep slopes are also best tackled just as a manual chair at speed, or just in reverse. It can climb stupidly steep ramps that way. Even with a beer in one hand! Ask me how I know...

Burgerman.

PS I have enough problems medically, that building myself a decent chair is painful and slow, so manufacturing them isnt an option. But continued development is. I now LOVE these lithiums. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-M...powerchair.htm

They allow an easy 45 mile and 15mph range. And thats a conservative figure. Actual calculations and measurements show even more speed/range from the above setup will be the reality.

OR a much smaller lighter powerchair - like a manual chair construction from carbon/titanium etc with the same performance as todays big monster hi end railway engine built powerchairs. So 3x the speed and 3x the range. Or batteries just much smaller and lighter and more portable.

I prefer the former as I use my chairs hard 16 hours a day at times including off road, and at grass airfields etc which murders batteries normally. But HUGE LITHIUM batteries are not cheap. So expect the manufacturers to do the latter and use lithium as a marketing device when they wake up to it and not take advantage of whats possible...

You will see smaller batteries rather than real range/performance. Mine has over 3000 watt hours and 45 volts. Lets see where they go! Let me guess. inefficient 24v and about 1500 watt hours... So no gain other than lighter/smaller/marketing advantage.
    Last edited by buegerman; 04-03-2011 at 05:26 AM.