Thread: "CURE CONSORTIUMS"

"CURE CONSORTIUMS"

Dr. Young,
    I think it would be interesting to describe what actually takes place when the top researchers gather to exchange information and how the information is exchaged to reach a cure goal. Is there a committee that gathers the information together and has a "game plan" to see what the best options are and how to achieve goals? For people outside of the scientific community it is a little mind boggling to try to understand how all of this research is being directed. What do you think? Is there an easy way for you to describe in your own words how it all works?

I don't know if you ever saw that ad associated with the superbowl a couple of years ago. I forget the company that the ad was trying to impress upon the audience but the ad starts out with a bunch of tough looking cowboys on their horses, whistling and clucking. The camera swoops down to the ground and we see cats, and cats, and cats, as far as the horizon. Hundreds of cats. They were darting this way and that.

Trying to "direct" science is not unlike trying to move a herd of cats from Kansas City to St. Louis. They have minds of their own and there ain't no way that you can keep them from bolting if they want to. When they want to, they will come and cuddle. Sometimes, you can't get rid of them because they will come and sit on your keyboard, purring like a motor. Sometimes, they disappear for hours. They may go away for days or weeks and you don't hear from them until they come back and lay down a couple of trophies that they have caught for you.

But, if you take a ball of string and dangle it in front of them, they can't help themselves... They will take a swipe at it. You can attract them to food. When they are hungry, they will wait impatiently by their dish in the kitchen. If you have valued furniture, they will go and scratch it. They are very territorial. If you put a crowd of them together, there will be fights. One cannot direct a symphony of cats. But, if one starts to yeow, a bunch will join. Finally, they will come out of curiosity.

Wise.

dr young, only a cat owner would know that kind of information. btw, i have 2 cats and 5 dogs. shhhhhhh, don't tell the city.

LOL, Wise! BTW, Did you know that the ancient Egyptians used to worship cats as gods? Cats have never forgotten this!

Originally posted by Wise Young:

I don't know if you ever saw that ad associated with the superbowl a couple of years ago. I forget the company that the ad was trying to impress upon the audience but the ad starts out with a bunch of tough looking cowboys on their horses, whistling and clucking. The camera swoops down to the ground and we see cats, and cats, and cats, as far as the horizon. Hundreds of cats. They were darting this way and that.

Trying to "direct" science is not unlike trying to move a herd of cats from Kansas City to St. Louis. They have minds of their own and there ain't no way that you can keep them from bolting if they want to. When they want to, they will come and cuddle. Sometimes, you can't get rid of them because they will come and sit on your keyboard, purring like a motor. Sometimes, they disappear for hours. They may go away for days or weeks and you don't hear from them until they come back and lay down a couple of trophies that they have caught for you.

But, if you take a ball of string and dangle it in front of them, they can't help themselves... They will take a swipe at it. You can attract them to food. When they are hungry, they will wait impatiently by their dish in the kitchen. If you have valued furniture, they will go and scratch it. They are very territorial. If you put a crowd of them together, there will be fights. One cannot direct a symphony of cats. But, if one starts to yeow, a bunch will join. Finally, they will come out of curiosity.

Wise.
    You certainly have a way with words doc!! Now that's what I call a good explaination. About as confusing as stem cell and cloning debates with congressional leaders!! LJW