Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chair Advice / Review Specs

New Chair Advice / Review Specs

Looking for advice or input on my chair order.

Me: Incomplete para (t10 from Transverse Myelitis 40 years ago). I walk with crutches but need a chair. My walking range is very short and causes pain and spasticity issues.

I live in a rural area, so options for fitting and trying chairs is limited. I am working with bike-on.com on a Tilite ZRA 2 order.

I'm 5'8. Probably have short legs for my height.

Hips: Sitting on a flat surface, measuring with books on the sides... just touching my normal clothing is 16.5".

Leg measurements: Back of my butt to back of my knee is 19". From the floor to the back of my knee, with shoes on is 16.5".

Below are the initial specs I have worked up:
    Seat Width: 16" - I like the idea of a tight chair. Too narrow?
    Seat Taper: None
    Seat Depth: 17" - Maybe 16"?
    Front Seat Height: 18"
    Rear Seat Height: 16"
    Front Angle: 85 or 90?
    Footrest Height: 15" with flip back footrest
    Front End Taper: 1.5" with 12" wide footrest
    Seat Back: Tilite folding adjustable - medium height
    Rear Wheels: No decision yet on size. Need help. I will use the chair in the winter and on dirt paths, so I will have a second set of wheels with knobbies.
    Camber: thinking 2 degrees
    COG: Not really sure but it is adjustable so not a big issue, right?
    Front Casters and Forks: Not sure yet. Thinking 4" or 5". Could really use help on the specifics here.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Hey My, I'm 6'2 and 220; I use a 17" wide seat x 18depth. If you get one that is wider than you need, you'll grow into it, which is not good, so get one that is narrow and use sideguards, I have the aluminum.

With seat depth there should be approx. 2 finger widths from the back of your knee to the seat edge. So with a 90o you would use a shorter seat depth than an 85o. I like the 85o as it puts my legs out just a bit and I can put my feet back more on the footrest without feeling like I'm going to fall over frontwords when leaning forward.

Front and rear seat height are adjustable and a 2" difference with your level of injury is okay. Again that can always be corrected.

Front end taper, do you mean seat taper from the rear to the front or the taper on the front/ For the footrest width, use your widest shoes and add some to it. If the f/r is too "tight" it causes some challenges when transferring as the feet have nowhere to turn. Ti measures from the end of the frame where the footrest joins, not the bottom where the feet go.

If you can afford it, buy a set of Spinergy's or RoundBettys on another site and just go with the wire. You can always sell the wire set later or use them for backup. Ti charges a lot for the upgraded wheels. I suggest getting the Rightrun tire.

Camber is personal preference. I don't use any because of the way I wheel. I find using a camber puts my wrists in an ackward position and it allows me to get thru narrower places.

What kind of brakes are you getting? I don't like theirs at all but if I had to I'd go with their aluminum scissor brake. I usually swap those out for the Quickie scissor.

How is the chair you have now dialed in? Is there a reason for going to an adjustable chair. Have you looked at the Tr or Tra. I've had the Zr and they were okay but am concerned about the Series 2 and the challenges everyone is having with them. I went back to a box grame, a Tr and have absolutley no problems with it. The Zra has wider tubing and IMO looks clunky compared to the narrower sleek tubing of the Tr.
    There is also more flex in the open type frames like the ZR. I live in a rural area also and notice a big difference between the two frame styles when out on my rutted muddy paths. The Tr is lighter and has 0 problems compared to the ZR series 2.

Hope that helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Front and rear seat height are adjustable and a 2" difference with your level of injury is okay. Again that can always be corrected.
    Curios as to how the front height adjusts?

Front end taper, do you mean seat taper from the rear to the front or the taper on the front/ For the footrest width, use your widest shoes and add some to it. If the f/r is too "tight" it causes some challenges when transferring as the feet have nowhere to turn. Ti measures from the end of the frame where the footrest joins, not the bottom where the feet go.
    I am talking about the taper for the footrest, not seat taper. I am getting the flip back foot rest to help with transfers/getting in out of the chair since I can stand and use crutches. Had not thought about the twisting of the feet for normal transfers though. I sometimes wear thick winter boots when I go mono skiing. So I did measure with those on.

If you can afford it, buy a set of Spinergy's or RoundBettys on another site and just go with the wire. You can always sell the wire set later or use them for backup. Ti charges a lot for the upgraded wheels. I suggest getting the Rightrun tire.
    I will look at options other than wheels directly from Tilite. Thanks.

What kind of brakes are you getting? I don't like theirs at all but if I had to I'd go with their aluminum scissor brake. I usually swap those out for the Quickie scissor.
    Had not figured out brakes yet. Was thinking of Ds or Surelock as I thought that might be better with knobby tires? If go with scissor locks, can I get everything I need from Quickie or would I need some of the mounting hardware from Tilite?

How is the chair you have now dialed in? Is there a reason for going to an adjustable chair
    I don't have a chair now. I am walking with crutches. Since this is my first chair since I was a kid, I figured adjustable was the safe bet.

Not having a chair has been very limiting for me and I am getting older and really need one.

Have you looked at the Tr or Tra. I've had the Zr and they were okay but am concerned about the Series 2 and the challenges everyone is having with them. I went back to a box grame, a Tr and have absolutley no problems with it. The Zra has wider tubing and IMO looks clunky compared to the narrower sleek tubing of the Tr.
    I have considered the options and I do have some concern after reading threads about the series 2 here.

There is also more flex in the open type frames like the ZR. I live in a rural area also and notice a big difference between the two frame styles when out on my rutted muddy paths. The Tr is lighter and has 0 problems compared to the ZR series 2.
    I will go back and look at the TR again. Not sure if there is an adjustable model. I drive a Honda fit or Jeep and often have a handcycle or mono ski in the back. Sometimes a dog as well. I thought the open frame would be a little more compact for storage.

Hope that helps a little.
    It helps a lot! Thanks!

My392, I am 5'8", 200#, and my measurements are similar to yours. I have had a TuLite AeroZ S1 for 6 months now, and love it. Here's a link to a review I posted here awhile back.

What would I do differently? Very little.

I would go with FrogLeg softroll Epic aluminum instead of TiLite softroll aluminum. TiLite's aluminum casters are relatively heavy, which causes shimmy at coasting-down-a-ramp speed (stopping the chair abruptly). I have tightened down the caster swivel, which helps a lot. This is minor though.

I'm still struggling to find a good backpack. TiLite's backpack is a limp rag - hard to access and use. I took mine off, and am looking for a good aftermarket backpack. (Their under-seat pouch is good.)

The frame protectors wear out quickly - not worth the money.

I switched to Marathon Evolution Plus tires. I like them much more than the solids. I bought a good tire pump, and check them weekly.

I am still loving the flipback footrest (fabulous design), the D's Locks, the Natural Fit rims, the hard seat pan, the fold-down sideguards, the 4deg camber. It's a very well built chair.

I'm glad I changed out the stock fasteners and caster bearings (I would change out Frog Leg's casters, too.)

I have requested a trial of Magic Wheels because we moved to a very hilly neighborhood.

I love my chair and its features. The added wight of the aluminum frame is fine with me; I stand to load my chair. If weight is an issue for you, beware adding accessories; their weights add up real fast.

ps- my hip width is 16-1/4. my seat width is 17. I stand often (reaching for stuff on store shelves, etc.), and I want the chair to stay behind when I do. It's working out real well.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-29-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added ps
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Curios as to how the front height adjusts?
    It adjusts by either moving axle height within fork, or replacing fork stem with a longer one. I have 6" casters, which use only the fork's lowest axle hole, so my only option is a different fork stem. IMHO fsh adjustment is the least friendly adjustment on my AeroZ.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Good advice from Chas. The F/L softrolls are way better. Since you're rural you might consider the 5x1.5. 4x1.5" 's seemed to drag in the gravel more and more likely to stop you dead in your tracks if you snag a small rock.

Not sure about saving the room as the rear wheel section hangs from the frame. It was a little better for pulling over the chest getting in the car. Are they still making the Series 1?

I agree chas, adjusting the front caster housings are the most frustrating to adjust I've enountered.

OK, making some progress. Attached is what I have filled out so far on the order form. I have not picked out wheels yet. I think I am thinking 24".

It would be great if people could take a look and let me know if they see any issues with the order at this point. Your input is very helpful to me.

I do plan on getting 5 x 1/5 FL soft rolls. I plan on using a Stimulite Sport cushion.

I measured for width again. With books at the sides of my hips, it is right at 17" (just touching my pants). I usually have junk in my front pockets. I am thinking of going with 17" instead of squezing into 16".

Looks good My, witht he ZRA, the adjustments are not that important as they can be changed. 85o front angle is really good angle. THe 5x1.5 plastic casters can be switched out with the f/l softrolls later. Same with the 24" wire wheels with a Spinergy or Round Betty later. Do you like the push pull brake. I usually change out my ti brakes with the Quickie scissor brake. The Ti qlluminum scissor isn't to bad; their compsite brake stiks.

Any reason for the 13" footrest. Do you have wide boots that oyu use or? I think mine is 11 with the v front end. Looks like it'll be a great chair. Realize you will have to do some adjustments when you get it. more than likely the cog

I agree with Patrick with these additions:

One user here got TiLite's G10 solid pan, and it cracked after only a few months use. I have TiLite's aluminum seat pan and love it. You may want to consider an aftermarket carbon-fiber pan (e.g., ADI). Numerous posts exist here if you want to research.

I have hub locks and love them. Numerous posts about D's and SureLocks exist here if you want to research.

Remember to request CAD sign off if you want it. If you don't ask, you won't get the opportunity. Also, TiLite doesn't put adjustment ranges (i.e., rsh & footrest length) on their CAD unless you specifically request them to.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Updates.

As of now, I have switched to going with the ruggedized edition which comes with two sets of wheels. Spinery Spox for everyday and Tilite wire for the knobbies.

Still considering what to do on the seat pan.

Going with scissor locks for the order but may likely go with hub locks later. Will consider switching to the Quickie scissors but just going with Tilite on this order.

I will ask for the CAD for sign off and review.

Switching to the Tilite 5x1 softrolls for now.

My realistic options for the footrest are 11" and 13". I am going to measure this again and see. I do very occasionally wear large boots when I go sit skiing.