Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friend just diganosed with TM but now they are saying spinal cord stroke

wonderful.
    best wishes to you all in your journey to recovery.

That's great news!

He was given ASIA B rating...any insight on this? I do have Dr. Wise's definition, whifch was helpful, but have to believe given the guy that he is he will beat the odds and walk again.

I do not have personal knowledge about the ASIA scale, as my condition is assessed in a different way - but I do know that every person's situation is unique, and outcomes are ultimately unpredictable as to their particulars. Just let him know that you are in this with him for the long haul, whatever is involved; that will give him the latitude he needs to adjust and go forward according to whatever timetable his specific circumstances entail. Blessings and best wishes.

I had a cervical laminectomy and then a day or two later, I supposedly had a spinal cord stroke. This was diagnosed by my surgeon, although other doctors felt that my spinal cord swelled in reaction to being decompressed.

I never lost the ability to walk, but was very helpless at first. My hands were virtually non-functional, my triceps very weak, and my biceps and deltoids were completely non-functional. I slowly improved and other muscles learned to compensate to a great degree. My biceps and deltoids did not improve, but my hands did.

I have a central cord injury at C-5 and am now rated as Asia D.

I had a spinal cord stroke. C2-T2 infarction. Cause unknown. 28 and healthy. Sounds like I was about the same as your friend… no movement except for right arm. I have my issues, but I recovered a lot. I walk well and need no assistance. I wish your friend all the best.

Back with good news!

I have some good news! He moved his right knee 5 inches last Sat am during PT. He was having a rough morning emotionally and just took all his frustration out during PT but he was given an exam yesterday and was moved to a C! This is wonderful news, great progress given that he's only been in the spinal care unit for a week. So, now since he's a "C" he can use the locomotor and other machines...I read a piece Dr. Wise wrote on ASIA scale and it sounds like because he was given such high doses of steroids so soon after infarct he has good chances of recovery. Today is finally a good day!

Lucky dog...I just read some of your posts. I can't believe you are running 5 miles a day! Any insight on your progress ( although I know everyone is different) would be helpful...and would give us some hope. Were you in a spinal care unit? When did you start to recover...any insight would be SO helpful. My friend is putting 150% into recovery, but is still paralyzed chest down..it's been 2 weeks. As his doctors keep reminding him recovery is measured in years not days or months, but the 'not knowing when' is hard....

That is good progress, Sarahale! It's a long road, but this is a very positive development.