Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still no raise for Social Security 2012

If we're unhappy with COLAs for SSDI, it's up to us to find a way to live more of the lives we want. Relying upon the government for subsistence will always lead to frustration.

If you want to exist, relying exclusively upon the government will work. If you want more autonomy and opportunity in life, create it for yourself. Return to work, return to school, find a way to market whatever it is you do. There may be some of us incapable of returning to any work for pay, but there are many more of us who can.

Yes, I get that most of us are not doing the work we did pre-injury. I'm also aware we can and should find ways to be as financially self-sufficient as possible.

Am I content with SSDI and LTD? Hell to the no. I may crash and burn in my own financial life, but it will not be for lack of trying to improve it.

The government cannot support us to the extent we would like. No government can do that.

When we want more, it's up to us as individuals to make that happen.

Hey get off the government support shit. I paid into Medicare and SS for nearly 40 years. I am only trying to get my $ back, maybe with a little interest. I maintain that I was given a contract when the gov started deducting the cost from my pay.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I would like political leaders that would object to and try to change the dumbass way inflation is determined. Obviously, food and gasoline are key ingredients of inflation for the average American and these jerks (economists) are looking at the cost of dishwashers. Where is my political champion? We lob 100 missiles into Libya at one million each but the 99ers cannot get an unemployment extension because we are broke, we also cannot afford heating oil subsidies to help the poor get through the winter. It just doesn't matter who you vote for, you always get a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Hey get off the government support shit. I paid into Medicare and SS for nearly 40 years. I am only trying to get my $ back, maybe with a little interest. I maintain that I was given a contract when the gov started deducting the cost from my pay.
    Exactly. I worked for decades, paid into the system, ruined my shouders in the process. What I get now is what is due me, a contract now paying out after years of me paying in!

I paid into S.S. for 31 years and now they say my money isn't there. It isn't fair. I think they need to quit paying the presidents after they leave office. They need to stop paying for all of their extragavant vacations including their families and all those big fancy parties they have all the time. It looks to me like the president and the people who run this country are the ones who are spending all of our money. I can't help that I'm on disability, I need every dime that I am due!!!

Blog Entries
    The reason that consumer prices are "down" is because they use the housing market as a large part of the CPI, rather than the things we actually have to buy every month. Groceries and gas are definitely up!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

yep, my 83 year old mom is on SS, her bills keep going up but the SS hasn't kept up
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

they cut 6 bucks off mine.

I spent my whole life working. First half at home raising three kids and had to give it up when one paycheck would'n do it anymore. Two paychecks and we still could'nt afford a savings account.....we figured, ok, when they're grown and gone, we can save then. What a joke! Seems like one kid or another always needed a hand with something. Finally, we get this place in Tennessee for retirement and figure, now we can save too! Then, SCI decided to rear it's ugly head. Lost everything but the place in Tennessee....no retirement, no savings, no job and can't get one.......what do I do now? Jim is just barely holding onto a job that gets harder everyday with his arthritis, and on the other hand worries that the business will completely fold from lack of work before he gets his last year in. We barely make it, and it will be the same, or worse, when he starts collecting SS. He'll get medicare this year and I have to figure out how to pay an additional 151 out of our crappy budget to pay for the advantage plan. It's a joke! I'm getting the best policies available, and it's gotten so bad the last two years, you can't afford to get any testing done.

That they have figured out a way to take back the tiny raise we'll get does not surprise me at all. The only way they would care is if they had to live on the same kind of money. Ever heard of a poor congressman? I've got no use for any of them.

no one else got money taken out? I have been getting 666 for ten years, but recently it went to 660=S