Thread: Ultrasound Kidney and Blood Test

Ultrasound Kidney and Blood Test

Hi. I did a ultrasound kidney and blood test and the reports are out.

Anyone knows how to interpret the results? Thanks.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-26-2011 at 01:01 PM.

From the ultrasound report:
    The right kidney measures 8.7 cm. The left kidney measures 8.9 cm. Both kidneys are normal in size, shape, and echogenicity.
    There is mild dilation of the left pelvi-calyceal system, the left renal pelvis measures 0.9 cm in AP diameter.
    No focal mass or calculis is detected.
    The limited image of the urinary bladder shows trabeculated wall.
    COMMENT: Mild left hydronephrosis.
    From the lab report (very limited):
    Sodium 136
    Potassium 3.9
    Creatinine 83
    It is important to know how you are managing your bladder. The hydronephrosis is mild, but it will be important to determine the cause. There is no comment about how the rest of the ureter looks, so I suspect you do not have a uretheral stricture or tumor causing the hydronephrosis. This then points to high bladder pressures as being the probable cause. This goes along with the report of the bladder trabeculation seen in partial view (the entire bladder should have been imaged...do you know why it was not?). Trabeculation is a thickening of the bladder wall that indicates that the bladder has been contracting against an outlet obstruction (usually a tight urinary sphincter) with high pressures for some time. This is usually seen in those who use reflex voiding, but it can also appear in those who do intermittent cath if they are not on sufficient anticholenergic medications to keep their pressures and bladder spasms under control.

Your labs are also very limited. I would have liked to have seen a BUN level as well as a 24 hour urine creatinine clearance (not just a blood creatinine) level. Your creatinine is still within normal limits, but without knowing your previous reading it is impossible to tell if it is climbing, which would indicate some impending kidney damage. Your sodium and potassium levels are normal.

Are you also having urodynamics done?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    From the ultrasound report:

From the lab report (very limited):

It is important to know how you are managing your bladder. The hydronephrosis is mild, but it will be important to determine the cause. There is no comment about how the rest of the ureter looks, so I suspect you do not have a uretheral stricture or tumor causing the hydronephrosis. This then points to high bladder pressures as being the probable cause. This goes along with the report of the bladder trabeculation seen in partial view (the entire bladder should have been imaged...do you know why it was not?). Trabeculation is a thickening of the bladder wall that indicates that the bladder has been contracting against an outlet obstruction (usually a tight urinary sphincter) with high pressures for some time. This is usually seen in those who use reflex voiding, but it can also appear in those who do intermittent cath if they are not on sufficient anticholenergic medications to keep their pressures and bladder spasms under control.

Your labs are also very limited. I would have liked to have seen a BUN level as well as a 24 hour urine creatinine clearance (not just a blood creatinine) level. Your creatinine is still within normal limits, but without knowing your previous reading it is impossible to tell if it is climbing, which would indicate some impending kidney damage. Your sodium and potassium levels are normal.

Are you also having urodynamics done?

(KLD)
    Hi, thanks for the prompt response. I did not have urodynamics done.