Thread: Pain & fustration

Pain & fustration

I'm having a rough night. Needed to find someone that understands. I love my family but when they say they understand when I'm complaining about the pain in my legs. I try to explain it's not a pain that more people feel (thank god). They don't get it, and I know they are trying to be helpfull, but people telling me how they could do it if they were in my position, well makes me pretty upset. Everyone's different.

But my night tonight. Trying to fall asleep, shooting and burning pains in my legs. Lower back and shoulders hurt. Hands ache from using them so much. I'm on neurontin, and it did help with some of the burning I have every day in my legs and feet. But it's wearing off and I'm at the highest level you can take. Not sure where to go from there.
    Spams are the worst too. Mostly they are only bad when I wave a UTI, but latelty when I try to get myself into bed, my right leg will stick straight and be so stiff and it takes forever to relax. It's making it diffucult to be independent. (I just moved into my own house, we're working on transfering onto everything) The legs being so stiff makes it hard to get dressed. All I've gotten from doctors is I need to do physical therapy. Well I have to be able to work and have a life. I feel like my whole life would just be therapy.

Sorry for complaining. I rarely do, but it's been getting to me lately. I'm 22 and my body feels like it's 80.

Anyone else take Neurontin or take something that works better than that?

Sorry you are having a rough night.

Do you have a SCI doctor or a physiatrist who can help you? If not, it may be worth the effort to travel to a major center to be evaluated. Maybe you need Baclofen for spasms. Good sleep is very important. Maybe a Baclofen pump could help.

How much Neurontin are you on? Could you increase the dose? Some people take up to 3200 mg. Could you add Elavil 25mg or 50mg at night. That helps with the leg pains and helps with sleep. You could consider switching to Lyrica which works better for me than Neurontin did. A lot better. Then there is breakthrough meds like oxycodone that help my neuropathic pain greatly. There are some people on this site that finding opiates helpful like me and others who do not find it helpful.
    I wish you the best. There will be better days ahead. It takes a long time to figure out a way to endure the burden placed on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AKspacey View Post
    I'm having a rough night. Needed to find someone that understands. I love my family but when they say they understand when I'm complaining about the pain in my legs. I try to explain it's not a pain that more people feel (thank god). They don't get it, and I know they are trying to be helpfull, but people telling me how they could do it if they were in my position, well makes me pretty upset. Everyone's different.

But my night tonight. Trying to fall asleep, shooting and burning pains in my legs. Lower back and shoulders hurt. Hands ache from using them so much. I'm on neurontin, and it did help with some of the burning I have every day in my legs and feet. But it's wearing off and I'm at the highest level you can take. Not sure where to go from there.
    Spams are the worst too. Mostly they are only bad when I wave a UTI, but latelty when I try to get myself into bed, my right leg will stick straight and be so stiff and it takes forever to relax. It's making it diffucult to be independent. (I just moved into my own house, we're working on transfering onto everything) The legs being so stiff makes it hard to get dressed. All I've gotten from doctors is I need to do physical therapy. Well I have to be able to work and have a life. I feel like my whole life would just be therapy.

Sorry for complaining. I rarely do, but it's been getting to me lately. I'm 22 and my body feels like it's 80.

Anyone else take Neurontin or take something that works better than that?
    I am very fortunate in that I don't have pain with my injury but I can sympathize with you about spasms and physical therapy. Even 43 years post, I still occasionally have to go for about a month of physical therapy for different reasons. No one on this forum minds anyone complaining about pain and spasms...more of us share your feelings.

You may have already looked at this thread but here it is anyway: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=150072

Good luck and I hope you can work out these problems.

Kindest regards.

Last edited by Millard; 03-25-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne