Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medihoney for non-serious wounds

Medihoney for non-serious wounds

My right ankle is healing dramatically. My heel opens/closes weekly but is not serious (dry skin surrounded by a moist centre - absolutely no fat or muscle protecting skin from bone - still dumbfounded about what to do about it). I have been using the honey on the right foot only as the left foot is through muscle, tendon and into the bone.

I tried Medihoney on my right metatarsel and I'm impressed!!! I would reccommend trying this on non-seriously infected wounds.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks lynnifer! So happy your right ankle is healing good.
    I hope you find the answer on what to use on your heel.
    I'll try the medihoney in the future if needed.

Mona

I've been using Medihoney on a uninfected stage 4 ischia wound for 12 weeks with impressive results compared to Aqua-Cell Ag. My attending Nurse see's healing progress from visit to visit. Read the link below. Note that it MRSA non-resistant. http://www.medihoney.com/ProductWoundCare.htm
    Good Luck

What about regular honey?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I would definitely not recommend regular honey. It can be contaminated with bacteria, which is why honey should never be used in hummingbird feeders or to fee small infants.

(KLD)

I agree with the SCI Nurse regarding regular honey use. Research the Medihoney; ask questions, knowledge is very important. A bandage variation is just now FDA approved, but its use is for more superficial wounds and burns. What I am using is pharmaceutically prepared and Ph balanced for optimal deep wound healing, and it is working for me. I've used practically everything to heal my wound. I would try something new see progress for a couple weeks and then stagnation. My nurse just took pictures today. After 12 weeks of using Medihoney, no wound healing stagnation, my nurse see's healing progress from visit to visit 3 xs weekly. If you can get the bandage changed daily it will help even more. I live alone so the bandage is changed every other day. If anyone wants I can post pictures pre and post Medihoney and you can judge for yourself. It does come with warnings so carefully read all material prior to usage. I made sure to get permission from my plastic surgeon prior to using it.
    Good Luck

I'll stick to plain sugar for small spots, if I don't have anything else. I've never used honey - I was just curious about the honey.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would definitely not recommend regular honey. It can be contaminated with bacteria, which is why honey should never be used in hummingbird feeders or to fee small infants.

(KLD)
    But can I still feed hummingbirds to small infants?

Hi All,
    David had a flap surgery done on his sacrum in December. That was due to the poor nursing care in June when they opened up an old sacral wound and he got osteomyelitis in the bone. thankfully it was just a small spot. During the December visit after having the flap done, more poor care. First, one of the doctors, not Dave's doctor, ordered penicillin for him knowing he was allergic to it. That night he had a bad reaction to it and they pumped him up with mega doses of benadryl and medrol for days after. Then, because of the flap, they put him on his right side and never moved him until I started yelling. They turned him over and I found tissue injury on his hip, where they had him leaning on the bed rail and some on his ankles. I yelled at the nurse because if I had not been there and seen what happened when they turned him, who knows what would have happened. I told her put an allevyn on it immediately and turn him. That never did open into a wound thankfully. Then, his skin started sloughing off due to the penicillin reaction and they managed to open a spot on the top part of his butt. The home care nurse had a fit because she knew before he went there were no open wounds at all. I am always having to clean up the mess they make by their poor nursing care. So, after having flap surgery, we wind up with the one on his upper butt. I tried several things on it, and a nurse recommended the medihoney. It is clearing it up slowly but surely. It is great stuff and worth buying. The ankles I am getting cleared up pretty fast and they are about closed. Sorry this is so long but another lesson to be learned is to move the blankets and check to see if the body is leaning against rails and don't let them shear skin by the pulling. Always something but I went to wound care and the nurses on the floor were mad because I told them about what happened and they had to come measure each wound they opened. I was not popular but like I said, this is my son and I try to keep him healthy and every time he comes here he gets something else. They don't like it, too bad.
    DavesMom, Diane

Medihoney is one of the products I tried for a chronic wound. We found it helped at first, for maybe 3 weeks, but then for whatever reason just didn't push the healing any further. A local wound care nurse that I visit also reported good results with it.