Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aftermarket fendered sideguards

aftermarket fendered sideguards

does anyone know of a source?

the only reference ive found is an old one - a pre-marvel jeff adams selling composite fenders. i dont really care about material, weight or even colour - im just sick of decorating my clothing with whatever my tyres decide to fling at me.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    does anyone know of a source?

the only reference ive found is an old one - a pre-marvel jeff adams selling composite fenders. i dont really care about material, weight or even colour - im just sick of decorating my clothing with whatever my tyres decide to fling at me.
    Tell to some profesional to do them in fiber glass, it will be cheap.

Not always true about being cheap or easily obtainable. I talked to a guy here in my town that makes carbon fiber components and he quoted me a couple hundred bucks, and they would need to make at least 50 of them!

I'm having them made from aluminum from a local machine shop instead. I'll post pictures when done.
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

actually, i do know a fibreglass guy - and that would probably be a way to do it, but i would need a fender to use to make a mold. even if i had a cad or exact measurements, i would need an actual physical object.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    actually, i do know a fibreglass guy - and that would probably be a way to do it, but i would need a fender to use to make a mold. even if i had a cad or exact measurements, i would need an actual physical object.
    You`ve got your wheels, if you know a fiber glass guy tell it to him, make that wouldn`t be any problem for him.

For example, draw the circunference of your wheels in a panel of playwood, after where you`ve got the line of the circunference make on the line the fender with plaster for example and give the fender shape with a hose for example, once is dry cut the fendered where you want and sand it, paint the plaster and playwood for cover all pores and you will have the mold for do sideguards for you and all your friends.

If you only want two sideguards, do only the half of the circunference.
    Probably the draw would help you to see it.

once is dry and you take out the hose and cut the plaster, sand and painted you will do the fender there.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I had some aluminum ones made.. they are heavy 948g (2lbs 1 3/8oz) a piece, I don't care about the weight. The edges do get sharp, I ended up gluing rubber tubing to the edges so I didn't continually scrap my butt on them.

I took some cardboard and cut out the pattern of exactly what I wanted, holding it to my chair, marking and cutting etc. At the front I wanted it to match the wheel/tire, but at the top I wanted the guard to be higher than the wheel/tire, I was tired of clothing getting soaked and stuck in the wheel etc.

Once I had the pattern, scanned it, friend put it into autocad and laser cut it out of aluminum.

If you need to make a mold take the pattern and duplicate it onto some cheap plywood. Make sure the cheap plywood mold is exactly what you want and you have your mold for making fibreglass guards. Again I'd be wary about the edges, if it was me I'd want to add a bulbous ridge to the edge to cut down on making it sharp and cutting into my butt when I transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Again I'd be wary about the edges, if it was me I'd want to add a bulbous ridge to the edge to cut down on making it sharp and cutting into my butt when I transfer.
    the edges of the fibber glass you only need to sand them

Here is a old motorcycle fab trick

What size tires / rims are you using ? Being it is a wheel chair this is very easy for me Same tire outer radius , curves as any bicycles

I would use for example a old schwin bicycle rear metal fender for my pattern then a
    1 piece of 1inch thick x 28 plywood piece as my sides then cut the plywood in half at 14.5 now you can make 2 fenders Fast ....

Now glue my fender"s outer edges to the plywood Psst - cut your fender to your desired length . and round shape your outer radiuses

You glue fenders halves to each piece of plywood

once dried
    Shape your inner fenders to be nice with a little bondo on the inside

once that dries
    you spread mold release on the insides of your fenders you want to make

Fiberglass my fenders release whallah

I cut my own motorcycle custom fenders and do all sorts of these ideas

Ok I use 1 inch thick plywood for sturdiness on my molds but thats my thing

Right now I am custom making a rear fender for a chopped / stretched motorcycle

I do this alot and fabricate odd ball stuff but it costs time and my time is $85 a hr to do motorcycle work .

I am a professional so make sure you Please wear Safety goggles and a dust mask

After your fenders glass has cured / Dried shape by hand the edges to your desire
    Sand / shape to your desired heart pleases

Good luck

GL
    Last edited by GL; 03-28-2011 at 06:57 AM.

I'm thinking that fibreglass may be too brittle - I don't want the part covering my tyres to break when I lift. Cf or formed plastic would flex, and thin aluminium would work too