Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Topper on a Foam Mattress?

Foam Topper on a Foam Mattress?

Has anyone here ever added a 2-3 inch memory foam topper to a memory foam mattress?

I have had a Tempur-Pedic mattress for three years - never got used to the texture, but it has served me well for pain/pressure relief. Lately, though, it has begun to feel too firm and my shoulders and hips hurt when I sleep on it. The mattress cost a fortune and I can't afford to replace it, but I need something softer.

Has anyone here added a memory foam topper to a Tempur-pedic mattress? A Tempur customer service rep told me that since the material is "activated" by body heat, adding a topper would actually make the bed feel firmer because the majority of the mattress would be cold/room temperature. But when I called back to ask another question, a different rep told me to use a foam topper!

So...has anyone actually done this, and what were the results? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 03-24-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: wording

I use memory foam topper on a high-density foam matress. I couldn't see paying that price for the Tempur-Pedic matresses. But I have three beds all with HD foam matress and Mem foam toppers for years with no problems.

Thanks SirGCal, I'm glad to hear this.

I have a Serta foam,4 inch, king mattress topper. Works great!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I have a Serta foam,4 inch, king mattress topper.
    Is it a high density memory foam king mattress? I have gotten conflicting advice from Tempur-Pedic about using a foam mattress topper on my Tempur-Pedic mattress. I'm glad you like your Serta pad, they have gotten good reviews at Amazon.

I think I'll just go ahead and try a memory foam topper, they don't cost much compared to what I paid for this mattress and I can always return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for your input, SirGCal and offroaderswife.

Ohh, forgot to add; I have 2 and 3 inch toppers on mine... Honestly the 3" is too much, the 2" is perfect, but that's also with the combination of the matress we're using...

Quote Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
    Ohh, forgot to add; I have 2 and 3 inch toppers on mine... Honestly the 3" is too much, the 2" is perfect, but that's also with the combination of the matress we're using...
    Thank you so much, that was exactly the question I was going to ask! Much appreciated.

We put a 3 " topper on top of our memory foam mattress - love, love, love it!!! We got ours from QVC it came with a little pillow-type topper cover for it as well. We put a 1" memory foam topper on my son's memory foam mattress. Any thicker and it would interfere with his even transfer. Love those toppers!!

I know its not what you are asking but we have a sleep number bed (air) and we then use a 2 inch memory foam topper on top of that, love love love it.

I have a memory foam mattress with a memory foam topper and love it.