Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid Backrests

Solid Backrests

Looking for people's opinions and experience on the advantages/disadvantages of a solid backrest.

What do you like/dislike about them?

Which kind do you use?

Ease of transporting, loading into car?

Thanks.

Ps. If there is another thread answering this then I apologize for starting another one, I just didn't see anything.
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

My husband hooked up a bicycle pedometer thing to my chair and it worked pretty good. I was a little too rough with my chair during some camping trips and transfers in and out of the car and it kept falling off. It worked great for a while though.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    My husband hooked up a bicycle pedometer thing to my chair and it worked pretty good. I was a little too rough with my chair during some camping trips and transfers in and out of the car and it kept falling off. It worked great for a while though.
    wrong thread?

I used to have a Matrx PB, it felt great in terms of support but was very heavy and I hated the way it looked. I gave it up when I went to a narrower chair. Now I have my eye on the Jetstream Pro but the narrowest it comes is 14"...I have heard great things though.

I have a jetstream back and i got it because the tension backs (by straps or the standard ones) would sag, causing my back to hurt and for me to have lousy posture. I feel i have better balance with the hard back and I do not get nearly as many stomach spasms due to poor posture as I did.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I have a jetstream back as well. It is light so doesn't affect the transfer weight (for me) and with my injury level I feel a lot more stable than in a fabric style back.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have a jetstream back as well. It is light so doesn't affect the transfer weight (for me) and with my injury level I feel a lot more stable than in a fabric style back.
    What type of injury do you have? I use a tension right now and want a change.
    Never Give Up!

I'm a t12 and greatly prefer the ADI/Jetstream backrests. Word of advice: spec your chair .5-1" deeper than ideal if you plan to add an ADI/Jetstream. They eat up about that much seat depth. If it isn't a new chair, I recommend the adjustable E-clamp mount on the Jetstream. It allows for compensation on the amount of seat depth taken up. Personally, I don't like the new ADI adjustable mounts, and prefer the old style still available on the Jetstream. (i dont see the old adjustable E clamp as an option on the ADI website, bit it may be an option still. I also prefer the shape of the low Jetstream vs the ADI, but the ADI padding is nicer. Fwiw, I make all my own padding, anyway, becUse I'm picky like that!)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

i like the adi carbon back but it screwed my transfers up because i would get my quad club stuck between the bar and back while pushing out of the chair. even w/ 4in rigidizer.. supracor has a new adj tens back coming out, ill have one tuesday. ill report back.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    . . . .Fwiw, I make all my own padding, anyway, becUse I'm picky like that!)
    Go on.