Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Donate a New Wheelchair?

How Do I Donate a New Wheelchair?

I’ve decided that the new chair I’m getting, since the seat size is 14” inches wide (easily a child’s size) should go to someone in need of a chair, and who can’t afford one. I will continue using my old Quickie.

The new chair will be a Tilite ZR2 or an Aero Z, and will be ordered this week. (It will have high quality aftermarket wheels, tires, and castors).

I would like someone between the ages of about 8-16 years old to get it, if it fits them, and paraplegic. And I want to know that they can’t get a chair by Medicare/caid, and can’t afford one.

This is where I’m a little lost as to how to go about “screening” those who truly need this help.

Any suggestions, even the smallest thoughts, would be appreciated.

Love to you all.
    Last edited by Daraby; 03-23-2011 at 01:21 AM.

what kind of quickie are you using? I have a quickie2 with little wear. it needs the posts for the foot thingy and I dont have the armrest tubes. the seat is 17", and it has a Jback. I would be happy to send it to you if you want to pay for shipping. its red, and it has the pop off wheels.

Thanks, my old Quickie is about 9 years old, a GPV if I remember correctly and works fine. That's why I decided to give away the new chair I'm getting. I would like to get new quick release Quickie wheels, since mine are so heavy, mags with 6 spokes, but the chair itself is sturdy. Thanks, if you have some good lightweight wheels, I'd be glad to pay for them besides postage.

Love to you, and all.

PS: Thanks for the new post, Mr. Wise

pm cheesecake. she might know of someone who meets your criteria.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks chasmengr.

What size wheels do you need Daraby. I have a set of 25"(559) with treaded high pressure and a set of Spinergy wire wheels 24" (540) withSolid black 1" tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    What size wheels do you need Daraby. I have a set of 25"(559) with treaded high pressure and a set of Spinergy wire wheels 24" (540) withSolid black 1" tires.

~

Mine are solid black one inch tires on 24 inch mag wheels. Thanks for asking. If I don't answer anyone tonight/ next few minutes, I will check back tomorrow, it's about 1 am here.

Thank you Patrick,

I would call 211 (United Way's number) and ask them if any programs in your area need a wheelchair for a child/small adult.

Also, perhaps your local center for ind. living might have someone they know of who needs a new chair.

Daraby, I really applaud your generosity. Have you considered donating your old chair and ordering a more efficient chair for yourself. Not sure if you use a chair fulltime, but they do wear out; frame cracks, back breaks etc.. There is a reason that insurance buys chairs every so often; they wear out.

Nothing wrong with the GPV by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just concerned about the fatigue factor of your chair. ''You are one very considerate, caring woman. Thankyou for being you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraby View Post
    I’ve decided that the new chair I’m getting, since the seat size is 14” inches wide (easily a child’s size) should go to someone in need of a chair, and who can’t afford one. I will continue using my old Quickie.

The new chair will be a Tilite ZR2 or an Aero Z, and will be ordered this week. (It will have high quality aftermarket wheels, tires, and castors).

So you donate the new chair and keep with the old quickie
    why you don`t donate the quickie and keep the new?