Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling or flat bottom cushion

Sling or flat bottom cushion

What's the difference?
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

search it here. if youre talking about stimulites, its a thick bulge of exactly the same material as the cushion which is not removable, raises your seat height by about 1.5", is only stable if on a seat sling where the sag matches the bulge completely, and was for me a total waste of money. if you imagine trying to velcro a curved surface onto a flat surface...

some cushions (like roho) have an optional rigid insert which you add into the cushion cover. the stimulite one is different. you have no way of removing it from the cushion.

ill say it again... total waste of money.

Good to know. Thank you much.
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

I disagree that they're a waste of money. I have 4 Classic XS's, one with a sling bottom. It works better on my Crossfire (with upholstery that's gotten loose over the years) than the others.

Are you referring to a sling and solid seat cushion? If so, I reallylike the solid seat pan. Seems to give me a solid base to sit on.

My demo chair's cushion had a rigid, removable insert. At my final fitting, I requested the same or a rigid seat pan. They ordered me the rigid pan, and I'm quite happy with it.

I think a sling-bottom cushion flexes to fit the contour of a seat sling; a flat-bottom cushion doesn't flex, but spans across the seat frame imitating a solid seat pan. A flat-bottom yields a higher rsh (all other factors being even). A qualified tech will be able to tell you which is better for your condition.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Are you referring to a sling and solid seat cushion? If so, I reallylike the solid seat pan. Seems to give me a solid base to sit on.
    If you are talking about the seat - sling vs. solid pan, I have to agree too. I have a solid pan now and I'll never go back to a sling, ever. I feel so much more stable and I have less back pain. I'll take the extra weight no problem, benefit far outweighs it.

If your chair has a fabric seat, unless it is extremely taut, you probably want to buy the sling version of the cushion. In this version the bottom of the cushion is somewhat curved to match the (presumed) contour of the fabric sling seat.

If your chair has a solid seat pan, you want to buy the flat bottom cushion. The sling version would wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    If you are talking about the seat - sling vs. solid pan, I have to agree too. I have a solid pan now and I'll never go back to a sling, ever. I feel so much more stable and I have less back pain. I'll take the extra weight no problem, benefit far outweighs it.
    See, I'm the other way around, I have no back pain with a sling and soft 2" seat instead of a hard pan. Plus it helps hold me in the center of the seat better also; although I do keep my sling tight, which would be it's downside that it does require some maintenance now and again. But the sling also acts a bit more like a suspension seat (not suspension as springs/shocks, but suspension as in being suspended from; think off-road support seats).

However, I can still feel my lower bits, at least partially. I can't walk very far but... Perhaps a numb-lower individual might have different benefits to the solid seat pan. But if you don't know how to do tweak the sling properly, then a solid-pan is also probably for you. A sloppy sling can actually cause injury if you're not careful (though so can a poor solid setup; still).

the bulge on the bottom of a sling bottom cushion is far too extreme - the velcro on the bottom does not match up with the seat sling unless the seat sling sags to exactly the same degree - the bolt-on sling on my 5 year old rgk was not stretched out enough, and so the velcro did not sit properly and the entire cushion rocked from side to side and front to back. it also made me sit about 1.5" higher and i overbalanced and fell out of the chair. if you think about putting a tennis ball onto a table, the only part of the ball that touches the table is a single spot on one plane.

a 'flat' cushion is just a normal cushion, with a squared base. the cushion (well, stimulites anyway) flex to the contours of the seat (whether sling or solid).

my current chair is a tr with a tension-adj by straps seat. i have 3 stimulite cushions - s 'sling' contour, a 'flat' contour, and a sport, which is only available in flat. the straps are pulled tight, so the seat surface is more or less completely flat. the sport sits fine, as expected and as described in the stimulite literature. the 'flat' contour also sits correctly. however the 'sling' contour does not sit properly. when i put the cushion in place, i have to rock it to the left to get the velcro on that side to touch the seat surface. then the right side is sticking about 2" in the air, above the surface (and velcro) on that side. if i press the right side down, the left pops up and breaks free of the velcro. it also rocks back and forth in the same way.

i suppose it might be possible to use the 'sling' version if i were to loosen the seat straps so that the curve of the seat exactly matched the bulge in the cushion - it might also lower the height enough to equate that of the 'flat' version - but then i might have trouble using my sport and my zoid on that chair unless i was prepared to reset my seat straps everytime i switch cushions (im not).

when i call the 'sling' version a dangerous waste of money, i have reason to do so. it is also unfortunately not described very well by stimulite.