Thread: Are Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy separate from CURE?

Are Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy separate from CURE?

I would like your feedback.

I've often thought about what I'm going to write today, but there always seems to be something more pressing and it gets put in the back of my brain, but something happened today to remind me.

This morning I received an email telling me that there was an urgent action that was being advertised on the Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy forum (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=150788) which deals quite specifically with a cure. Please visit this thread and if you are so inclined, send those emails off. I don't need to write about it here, because it's already been said.

What I'm wondering, is why the Cure and the Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy forums are separate? It's almost as if these two things have nothing to do with each other. Almost as if we can sit back and wait to be cured when we all know deep in our hearts that it is our activity coupled with the world of science that will get these cures to us.

I don't think it's a just a simple housekeeping question, I think the way these two forums are separated on CareCure, also keep them separated in our minds. New people especially need to know from the beginning that if they want a Cure for SCI, they need to be involved as part of a community. Clever people with SCI and clever researchers are not enough, united activity and knowledge is what is needed. (Sorry, now I've added a bunch of other stuff).

Most people already know that the two issues are one and inseparable, and that's why the thread "1,000,000 signatures for spinal cord injury" and "Governor of VA to ban stem cell research" to name just two, appear on the Cure forum.

Anyhow, I wanted to write to the moderators about this, but then I thought that it would be much better to write and ask all of your opinion on this matter.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Thanks for letting us know about the issue in the other thread. I don't usually read that thread and I wouldn't have known about the request if you hadn't mentioned it. I sent emails and I hope everyone else checks it out and sends emails too.

The Cure forum is for discussions of cure and research. The funding, legislation, and advocacy forum is for discussion of how to obtain funding and laws needed for various purposes, including cure. One of the reasons that we separated the two was because of people fighting in the cure forum over how advocacy should be done.

A lot of people think that CareCure should be or is an advocacy site. It is not. CareCure is first and foremost an information site. Advocates for all issues relating to spinal cord injury get their information from the discussions on the site and they can discuss strategies or activities related to their advocacy but they should not be using CareCure as the platform for their advocacy or for fundraising.

More important, members should not be saying things like, "You don't belong to CareCure because you don't advocate for cure research." This was unfortunately what some people were beginning to say before we split FLA from Cure. Please, I believe in and advocate for the cure but CareCure is primarily a source of information and discussion about care and cure and not an advocacy or fundraising site.

Thanks.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    I would like your feedback.

I've often thought about what I'm going to write today, but there always seems to be something more pressing and it gets put in the back of my brain, but something happened today to remind me.

This morning I received an email telling me that there was an urgent action that was being advertised on the Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy forum (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=150788) which deals quite specifically with a cure. Please visit this thread and if you are so inclined, send those emails off. I don't need to write about it here, because it's already been said.

What I'm wondering, is why the Cure and the Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy forums are separate? It's almost as if these two things have nothing to do with each other. Almost as if we can sit back and wait to be cured when we all know deep in our hearts that it is our activity coupled with the world of science that will get these cures to us.

I don't think it's a just a simple housekeeping question, I think the way these two forums are separated on CareCure, also keep them separated in our minds. New people especially need to know from the beginning that if they want a Cure for SCI, they need to be involved as part of a community. Clever people with SCI and clever researchers are not enough, united activity and knowledge is what is needed. (Sorry, now I've added a bunch of other stuff).

Most people already know that the two issues are one and inseparable, and that's why the thread "1,000,000 signatures for spinal cord injury" and "Governor of VA to ban stem cell research" to name just two, appear on the Cure forum.

Anyhow, I wanted to write to the moderators about this, but then I thought that it would be much better to write and ask all of your opinion on this matter.

Thank you.
    I didn't know that it used to be all together until the fighting. I can imagine.
    Now I understand why it's separate, but I wish more people looked at 'Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy'.
    Anyhow, I get the point.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King