Thread: t12 shattered

t12 shattered

Our dear friends son broke his back this past saturday. It was his t12 and after 9 hrs of surgery he is plated with rods from the T9 to L1. He has feeling to his knees but then on down is sharp pains only. He hasn't moved but I'm not sure if thats normal immediantely after surgery, I'm not sure if they have even asked him to. We are at a loss for what to do or say, it has been a very long weekend,,He is 17yrs old.

So sorry that you had to find our forum, but glad you did.

This young man's movement in his legs, feeling in his genitals, and reflexes should have been tested in the ER, and on a regular basis since then. Is he awake and alert? Any signs of traumatic brain injury as well? He should be able to tell if someone has asked him to move his toes, ankles or legs for them.

He and his family need to ask about his current ASIA score and AIS level (you can get more information on this here). Is he at a major trauma center, or just a community hospital? Is he insured? Are they making arrangements to move him to a speciality SCI acute rehabilitation center ASAP? This will be critical. At 17 he is still eligible for care at a Shriner's Children's Hospital SCI Center if there is any issue about insurance at all. Where is he now (area of the country).

It will be critical that all efforts are made to prevent pressure ulcers. He is at very high risk for this, and the nursing care he gets to prevent these, and his cooperation in eating right and turning when asked to turn are critical as well.

Please take the time to review the "Sticky Topics" at the top of this forum. They can help a lot.

Please see about gettin his family on-line here, and him as well, as soon as he has access to a computer. We can help.

(KLD)

So sorry to hear about someone so young. Although the fact he is young, healthy and strong might work to his benefit.

This a wonderful forum with so much information and good people that will encourage you.

Praying for this young man.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

My son was 14 when he was injured and is 18 now. He is L1. Feel free to ask any questions.

The best thing you can do now is be a good friend.

Some things you can do that are helpful:

Bring lunch by the hospital -- hospital food is horrible for parents and patients.

Bring magazines.

Send cards.

Little gift packs such as lip balm, magazines, candy, etc. are always appreciated.

Praying for the family is great. Telling them this is all "part of God's plan" is not.

Be there to listen, but don't offer your opinion. Spinal cord injuries are complex and different from person to person.

Offer to pick up books to read. Video games for the son would be appreciated too.

I know they will appreciate your efforts! They are lucky to have good friends. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Take care.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Best wishes to all of you. It's good that you've found this forum, there is a lot of help and wisdom here. Your friends and their son are very fortunate to have such strong support from you.

Cholladay... So sorry to hear about your friends son's accident. I am so glad you found this forum so early in the process. Welcome! There is a wealth of information here. Don't be ashamed to ask any question.

I will be praying for a good return and recovery for your friend. Although there is some knowledge about what to expect according to injury level and severity each case is unique. Some questions will only be answered with time.

Get your friends family on here as soon as you can.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!