Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's been a long, tough 7 months

Cody was at UPMC Presby ICU in Pittsburgh for 2 months, then Rehab at UPMC Mercy, but the Rehab was ended due to his flap surgery. He needed discharged from the hospital due to insurance, so he was then transported to a nursing home closer to home after his surgery. When we got the Clinitron, he came home...flat out refused to go back to a hospital for rehab. I did find him a good civil law firm, however, we are told that since the act was intentional and not an accident, there can be no compensation from home or car insurance. This mans house has been paid off for twenty years and the family seems well off, but we are also told that we are not entitled to anything that also has the wifes name on it. So the best we can probably hope for is to get a lien against his home. Cody worked on their property, they sell organic foods to restaurants in Pittsburgh. Now he can't do that, and Terra, in the past babysat at home, but she has her hands full with being Cody's caretaker and a toddler. They have no income right now, I hope disability happens for him soon.

So sad. So sorry. BUT do not get discouraged because the most important thing you can do for your brother is just be there. Listen and tell him everyday that you LOVE him. Tears are coming to my eyes as I write this. Dont be afraid...doors open every day...they also close...it is life...just a bit different ( slight laugh, cause humor can and will see you through eventually) I am a T4 level and am very independent...I take care of my elderly parents and give dinner parties! I was hosp. for almost 6 months until my return. It is not easy at first, but it DOES get better...trust me, please.

I admire and automatically LOVE you for being there for him and his family. treasure it. My brother blames me for my injury although it was an accident, but because I was "drinking" he sees fit to pass judgement upon me- I fell out of a 2nd story window while at my parents helping them. The worst thing is, his kids and I were getting very close (Triplets) I had quit my job in Washington DC to come back to OH to care for my parents since I was single and had some savings I could use to help and set them up and return back at some point in time (My Dad has progressive dementia and they said about 3 years he would need long term care. I was able, willing and wanting to help them because they gave me a foundation that I have lived a very full life at not even 40. SO with This being said, I would say two things..well 3, cause they seem to come that way anyways... Be strong...Be There and Be grateful that he is still with you...hope his health improves. Writing has been my salvation, although I have not shared with others as of yet...it is still too real for me...even after almost four years post injury. Please feel free to PM me...I am pretty new to the site, but hae found my salvation, relief and answers here...you will too darlin!!

Wanted to add my Dad still lives at home...even after what the Docs told us...And for My brother, he lives 2.5 hrs away from my parents and still really would rather my Parents drive up to see them cause it is easier ( and, I think he will not see me) We were never close. Sad, but no big deal...but it is for my Parents that I am here. I have faith...surprising, cause everyone that knew me before my accident was SHOCKED that I dealt with this eventually. I was sad about leaving a very good DC job and my own friends who were my family for over ten years (I still see them twice a year on vacations at the beach) I guess I say all of this to say that eventually life...whatever it might be, gets back to normal, whatever that might be. I have a saying that an old boss gave me years ago in my early working career...I have lived by this and it truly does and will help you and your family... And I would consult another lawyer, cause that does not sound right...second opinions are VALUED in our community...same goes for medical. ASK questions and read up on stuff so you can educate your Doctors. I have seen some GREAT Docs at OSU in Columbus and they say that most Docs will not know what is goin on. Rehab is a great experience and you might want to see the Job and family services Dept in your City about benefits. My cobra lapsed two weeks prior to injury, but since I was a temp residency in OH, medicaid and then medicare stepped up. Sad, but COBRA was for me for more time was not on option and I was just "buying time" till I got bact to DC...which BTW was the week AFTER my injury. Guess God wanted me sto stay in Ohio with my folks...

Good Luck. Here is my MANTRA...please share with your brothr and his family...

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. the remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will have for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes" (Swindoll, Charles date unknown).
    Last edited by diddlindoug; 03-21-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Addition...

Brgutherie, Talk him into rehab again. He really needs to go to a model SCi rehab center. There are four in PA. Harass the case manager at the insurance company. What the spend not on his rehab will greatly reduce what they will spend in the future when he has issues. We got lucky when Ryan got hurt in that his case manager at BCBS got this. He actually went to GA for rehab and it was the best thing we could have done. Was it wasy on us, no. he was a minor at the time and was battling bowel obstructions that came close to requiring surgery. It was he and I for months with visits from his dad and a few friends and his brother when my husband could get a long week end to make the 10 hour drive each way. Ryan went from a room full of friends at the trauma hospital to just his mom. We made it though and they not only taught me how to properly take care of him, when and where to make our own way, but most importantly they help Ryan realize what is possible and how to make the most of what he can do. He went from moving his left middle finger and legs at the hips to feeding himself, using his computer, talking (no more trac), and much more while he was there. It also helped his acceptance of his new life to see an increase in what he could do. Granted he is very incomplete but I saw the work they did with complete injuries and how the helped people maximize their abilities and return to a productive life.--eak

the book from the Reeve center helps alot!!

Good point ddoug......the book from the Reeve center is a great resource to have on hand. Read it in small batches......I took in too much of it at one sitting and it is just too much to take in. Like most of us here, prior to the injury, I had no idea how complicated SCI is. I received my book in the ICU after my daughter's injury.
    Link to Christopher Reeve site:
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/site..._Paralyzed.htm