Thread: Newbie-what wheels to put on this?

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder

Newbie-what wheels to put on this?

I want to make this wheelchair more all terrain friendly:

I have CMT, a neurological disorder. My hands and arms are also pretty weak. What hand rims do quads like the best? The ones on this are metal, and they are hard to get a grip on, esp if I am using it in a backcountry setting over rocks and lumps. What about casters? Or those big wheels you put on the front that make the wheelchair a 3 wheeler for all terrain use?

Thanks for any advice,

Sarah

I don't have an SCI (I have motor neuro and pain) but I can tell you what has worked for me so far. I have an acrylic coated handrim that I use the most- I wear gloves because they can get hot while breaking. The gloves also give me more grip for less effort on any wheel I've used- dry or wet. I've used a Natural Fit handrim and it was fine for around town, but didn't hold up well (for me) when I went over a non-smooth surface.

When I noticed the biggest difference is when I started looking at wheel weight. Lighter the wheel- less effort it takes for me to push it. I chucked my mag wheels two seconds after I tried my Spinergy's.

I'm no expert; just sharing what's worked for me so far.

Hey Sara glad to see u pushing out doors My hand rims are coated with Blax grip.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=92200 these really help. Any handrim with grip or coated is better for quads. I stay away from steel handrims lol.

Also i was looking at this website for off road tires check it out!
    http://www.sportaid.com/wheelchair-r...ls/index2.html
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!