Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It finally happened..... :( airline lost my chair

It finally happened..... :( airline lost my chair

ok guys, well I was traveling via airline from Long Beach, CA to Spokane, WA. The airport in Long Beach does not have jetways. So you get on aisle chair outside and get pushed up ramp. When they were loading me, my wheelchair blew away. Yep evidently across ramp and into a ditch..... Lost. So...... I get to Seattle to change planes and no chair. I get the big honking chair treatment with all of my bags loaded on my lap push through airport. No wheelchair, Long Beach airport closed... So I might as well go to Spokane. My GF thank goodness, was picking me up. So there is a loaner wheelchair in Seattle. But imagine what a airport loaner chair looks like... I get to Spokane and its late. Its also three hour drive to my house. Horizon did put me up in a hotel at the airport. Because this big huge silver chair is impossible for me to use. Old school, solid tires, mag wheels, not removeable, I cant believe people used to use these type of chair. It was too wide for bathroom door even. So 24 hours in the hotel sitting on the bed. They did find my chair eventually. And got it to Spokane. This was one of the very few times i did not make entire trip by myself. I keep a car at the Spokane airport and usually fly in and drive by myself. I travel airlines over 1 mil miles in past twenty years. I travel for my job. I used to be so worried about this happening. I dont know what I woud have done if I had been by myself? Literally I could not even push the chair.

Moral of story, watch your chair. It does happen.

I can't even imagine...that must have been horrible. I get twitchy when my chair is just downstairs. Sorry that happened to you and glad they found it! Was it okay? Any damage to it?

Cripes!

Thank goodness you got it back!

That happened to me with JetBlue about 7 years ago. I had my receipt for the chair and they simply forgot it at boarding gate.I was sent home in a loaner, a real clunker and my chair was delivered 12 hours later. All they would offer was $25.00 off my next round trip ticket.I never flew them again.............It was a nightmare !!!

Oh, man, that really sucks. It's a fear of mine, too.

I thought the company you own has a couple/few planes though?

The big nightmare
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Oh, man, that really sucks. It's a fear of mine, too.

I thought the company you own has a couple/few planes though?
    Yes we manage 14 planes but do not own any. They are too expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq View Post
    Yes we manage 14 planes but do not own any. They are too expensive for me.
    Gotcha. Sounds similar to my uncle's former company. He wouldn't be able to take one of his planes for himself either, even for business. Too expensive.

What airline were you on, by the way? Horizon? Would you avoid them in the future, or do you think this is just an isolated incident?

I was on Horizon. Alaska/Horizon are the best. They always go out of their way to accomodate me. Good seats, block seats next to me, etc. It was an isolated incident for sure.