Thread: Basketball wheelchair and a few other questions

Basketball wheelchair and a few other questions

Hello everyone
    I'm sorry for my low level of English, I hope you'll understand me well.
    First, congrats for your active and nice community. I have a few questions to ask you :

1) I play basketball and I really need new wheels because it belongs to my club, not to me and I'll quit my club at the end of the season. Now I have Spinergy spox so I hesitate buying SPOX again (really good wheels)

-what about Spinergy SLX ? Is the price difference really justified ? (in term of wheight and "reactivity")

-I saw wheels for everyday chars from Topolino, 20% lightest than spox, so tempting... So is there an equivalent (Topolino or others) for balketball wheelchair or is Spinergy definitly the best ? so which wheels with which tires

2) I play now with an "old frame" of one of teammates of mine, it fit me more or less well but no as well as one adjusted especially for me. So I'm thinking about ordering one. First I've been totally amazed by prices that you have in the US : in order of comparaison : The lowest price I found in France for a Top End Pro Basketball is 2400$ (without options) sportaid sell it for 1916$ !)
    But the most interesting is the Colours Zephyr Sport Wheelchair is very less expensive and looks good. But to be honnest I've never heard about Colours before today ! is it a good manufacturer ? is it really resistant and light -> very important for me ?
    Does anyone could give me any feedback of Zephyr Sport Wheelchair for basketball practising in competition ?

To finish when you order a BB wheelchair you have a cushion as an option and you have the choise between soft/ medium/hard . I need a hard cushion (2") but I can't find where to buy it separatly (neither in france, neither on sportaid). I mean There is a lot of cushions "of comfort" for everiday chairs, that's not what I'm looking for...

Thanks for All

Top End Shulte is a great chair. I've owned Colours tennis chair, their eclipse which could be used for both. Also had a Top End Transformer and Quickie ALl Sport.

If you are playing and want to contniue, I'd go with an adjustable to get dialed in then go for a more custom like a Schulte. Perhaps Top End Pro or the All Court. Both are really deceent chairs. I think the All Court is more popular here.

I had both the Spox and LX on my sports chairs, really didin't notice too much difference. I think the big difference is the wheel size and type of tire. There is a slight weight difference. Good wheels do make a difference and can go on any chair.

I used hard foam also. I went to foam or mattress shops. Re-upholstery shop also. I could get a 4x8' sheet of hard memory foam for under 100.00. That made up around 8 cushions. THe covers I ordered with the chaor or had 'em made.

Glad to hear you're taking the next step in basketball. It's well worth it.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 03-19-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thibault View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'm sorry for my low level of English, I hope you'll understand me well.
    First, congrats for your active and nice community. I have a few questions to ask you :

1) I play basketball and I really need new wheels because it belongs to my club, not to me and I'll quit my club at the end of the season. Now I have Spinergy spox so I hesitate buying SPOX again (really good wheels)

-what about Spinergy SLX ? Is the price difference really justified ? (in term of wheight and "reactivity")

-I saw wheels for everyday chars from Topolino, 20% lightest than spox, so tempting... So is there an equivalent (Topolino or others) for balketball wheelchair or is Spinergy definitly the best ? so which wheels with which tires

2) I play now with an "old frame" of one of teammates of mine, it fit me more or less well but no as well as one adjusted especially for me. So I'm thinking about ordering one. First I've been totally amazed by prices that you have in the US : in order of comparaison : The lowest price I found in France for a Top End Pro Basketball is 2400$ (without options) sportaid sell it for 1916$ !)
    But the most interesting is the Colours Zephyr Sport Wheelchair is very less expensive and looks good. But to be honnest I've never heard about Colours before today ! is it a good manufacturer ? is it really resistant and light -> very important for me ?
    Does anyone could give me any feedback of Zephyr Sport Wheelchair for basketball practising in competition ?

To finish when you order a BB wheelchair you have a cushion as an option and you have the choise between soft/ medium/hard . I need a hard cushion (2") but I can't find where to buy it separatly (neither in france, neither on sportaid). I mean There is a lot of cushions "of comfort" for everiday chairs, that's not what I'm looking for...

Thanks for All
    If you live in France probably your best option for play basket is the Oracing G2 oversized with the cushion you want, first because is a better chair, comes from Spain and you only will have to pay 70 euros for ship and without taxes because the two countries are from UE.
    A good wheel could be Bor wheels.

From US around $400 ship and taxes.

Have a look to Oracing facebook you could see there a few different basket chairs, they do the chair exactly that you would like.

Thanks for usefull answers. So I think I'll choose Spinergy Spox. For cushion I will explore all this ideas.

Oracing G2 looks really great but I can't find the specs (mesures, adjustable options and their price...) even in spanish, doesn't matter

http://www.ortoracing.com/detalle_pr...Dsubfamilia=79

It looks really great but I need more info...

Thanks

Thanks for usefull answers. So I think I'll choose Spinergy Spox. For cushion I will explore all this ideas.

Oracing G2 looks really great but I can't find the specs (mesures, adjustable options and their price...) even in spanish, doesn't matter

http://www.ortoracing.com/detalle_pr...Dsubfamilia=79

It looks really great but I need more info...

Thanks
    mesures? the chair is done to your body with your measures, like a tailor do a suit.
    If you want an adjustable chair for play basket it will be better to look for other brand.
    price

No no I've understood that will be done for my body , that's what I want , but mesurement methode could be defferent from a manufacturer to an other ... (for exemple, seat weidth could be the space between tubes ou tubes included , do you see what I mean ? And there is some options like belts , wheels or other....
    On their website I can see only "añadir al carito" -> "datos de envio" a form to give my personal information (name adress) and payment methode...

Where can I specify the mesures and perhaps check for any options ? Is it possible thrue the website ? Do I need to go to Spain to take mesurement ?!??

Sorry for that perhaps I missed something or perhaps I'm silly I don't know...

On their website I can see only "añadir al carito" -> "datos de envio" a form to give my personal information (name adress) and payment methode...

Do I need to go to Spain to take mesurement ?!??

Well, if you want to come to Spain no problem, Valencia is not far from south of France, but is not necessary.
    seat is with tubes incluide, options is all you want.
    email me morcillo1974@gmail.com once we`ve got all your measurements i`ll pass you with Oracing for give them your personal information.
    Payment methode is 500 euros when you order it and the rest once the chair is made, will take around a month.

Or contact them info@oracing.es

I would encourage you to go for the SLX Spinergy wheels. The reason is the connection to the rim for the spokes is much stronger and therefore, you are not replacing so many spokes. I went from spox to SLX. Before I did...I was replacing 2-3 spokes a week...now...I have not had to replace any.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Ok wheeliecoach I take note . Toto thank you very much for your disponibility I'll contact you in a few days.