Thread: Me and vetericyn

Me and vetericyn

Ok before I start I want to say I know Vetericyn works for a lot of people and is great for me when I cut myself or have a ingrowen toenail that is infected. It is amazing how fast it works, I know it works so don't bash me. And I drink 2-1/2 to 3-1/2L of water with a indwelling cath

I had a bad infection a month ago, my bladder was so coloinized it spasemed and I bypassed my foley cath everytime I tried to use Vetericyn. I went thru a few ABX and found a 5 day dose of macrobid with the regular Vetericyn 40ml 2 times daily for 30min each time did the trick for 3 weeks.

As we all know Vetericyn isn't free so I went from 40ml 2x daily to 1x daily to every 2end day and didn't go beyond that. A little over a week ago I noticed some settelment in my night bag and started back 1x daily(I would have been 2x daily but didn't have enough Vet to do it). Few days later my urine was starting to smell AAARRRRRGGGHHHH.

Since getting VVF in Canada winter not frozen is impossible I went down to the good ol USA and picked up enough regular Vetericyn at a store so I'm good till summer when I can get my hands on VVF.

Since then (about 4 days ago)I went to 50ml 2x daily to try to kill it. No dice, there is no settelment but it smells just as strong. I was even drinking 4L plus those days to try and flush it.

How many more days should I try to attack it with the 50ml 2x daily? Seems like it's keeping the infection at bay and thats it.

Thanks
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Dewie--In your predicament, I would recommend keeping the regular Vetericyn in the bladder for an hour at a time. I know several people who have done this successfully. You're up to 30 minutes, right? You can try jumping to an hour or increase a little each day--whatever you sense is best for you.

It's a difficult enough task without being up in there Canada where these products are far less available. I approached Oculus several times about this and they say they are working on it, but everything goes at a snail's pace.

I know many who have tried to cut back too much and ended up relapsing--and then having a hell of a time getting on top of it again. It's a familiar pattern--primarily because people want to save money. But you only end up spending more when you get reinfected.

Hang in there Dewie--you can beat this thing. Stay positive.

Susanne

What about just getting a proper lab test and the proper antibiotic? I wouldn't fool around with this.

I don't understand how you guys can keep the stuff in your bladder for an hour! I can do a 20ml flush and oftentimes it stays in for maybe one or two minutes before my bladder feels too full and it all comes out my urethra. Are there any tips or tricks to keeping something in for longer times? (I'm female if that makes a difference)

Quote Originally Posted by retto76 View Post
    I don't understand how you guys can keep the stuff in your bladder for an hour! I can do a 20ml flush and oftentimes it stays in for maybe one or two minutes before my bladder feels too full and it all comes out my urethra. Are there any tips or tricks to keeping something in for longer times? (I'm female if that makes a difference)
    I can't say for myself, as my husband is stable and only keeps it in for ten minutes, but I know Shamrock88 was using it for hour long instillations. He said he just got used to it. I think loreo also went for an hour at a time, and she said she built up to that slowly to avoid any bowel issues. She didn't report any problems. Some said they could keep it in longer when they used ditropan--but, again, I can't vouch for that. I guess some bladders are more touchy than others.

Maybe try some muscle relaxation techniques before treating yourself--I don't know what else to suggest, but I do hope you hang in there and win through.

Susanne

Last night I jumped straight to a hour with no issues. As soon as I get the first sign of AD I take it out, but no issues last night and no accidents either. But my bladder doesn't hold much these days so my biggest worry is bypassing.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Hoping for the very best for you Dewie!