Thread: questions if you use a KAFO

Blog Entries

questions if you use a KAFO

Could I ask tips for KAFO users. I have been on afo for the last 5 years but my physiatrist
    asked me to use KAFO due to hyper extended knees.

With the afo, I can wear it easily, how do you get to manage with the KAFO and does it have to be worn the whole day and removed at night
    or worn only for walking.

I have issues with the KAFO because I will be walking like a robot. Any tips and suggestions will be a big help
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    No good answers.

The Horton knee joint might help you though.

http://www.stancecontrol.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    No good answers.

The Horton knee joint might help you though.

http://www.stancecontrol.com/
    Thanks for the link NWwill
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

dougnewT12

Hey , im a relatively new injury ,T-12 on Sept.14 2012 and am complete para due to SCI. I have just started using leg braces in PT to paragate and my therapists have set up having a pair of KAFOS made for me. I have learned of some new technology that I think will serve you well. Its a knee joint made by OTTO BOCK health and its called Sensor walk , a sort of bionic knee joint that holds tension on the knee and allows for a correct stride.Check it out on Ottobock.com or google it and many types of articulated KAFOS are on there. A company called Hanger orthodics is making mine , they also have an informative web site at hanger.com.

My KAFO is very comfortable for standing and ambulation, but not for continual use or wearing around the house. I put it on when I exercise or go somewhere, as it has a thick strap behind the knee and a stiff cuff around the thigh that make sitting in it awkward. But it is such a relief not to have pain from knee hyperextension when I wear the KAFO! For me, the KAFO works 100% better than the AFO did. There's a bit of a learning curve, and KAFOs are definitely harder to get used to than AFOs, but you probably won't need to wear the KAFO for every activity. Around the house, I wear something called a Swedish knee cage - your orthotist and physiatrist will know if that would work for you, too.

The knee cage does not fit under clothes, but my KAFO can be worn under loose exercise pants. (Not all KAFOs will fit under clothes, though.) Regarding the quality of your gait, there are a lot of people at CareCure who wear KAFOs and they move really well with them. I can actually ambulate better in mine than I did with the AFO, because my knee is prevented from going backward and this gives me more ability to concentrate on better gait.

There are so many types of KAFOs that it's hard to make more than general observations...your orthotist and physiatrist will figure out the best design for your particular situation. The great thing is that you can stop knee hyperextension with KAFOs, and to me that makes them worth the inconvenience (compared to AFOs).

Best wishes with this whole process!

I wear a kafo made by Becker orthopedic. It bends at the knee when you bring your heel off the ground. It has helped with my hyper extension, and gives me way more knee stability. Without having a straight gait. Www.beckerortho.com

Quote Originally Posted by dackerson76 View Post
    Hey , im a relatively new injury ,T-12 on Sept.14 2012 and am complete para due to SCI. I have just started using leg braces in PT to paragate and my therapists have set up having a pair of KAFOS made for me. I have learned of some new technology that I think will serve you well. Its a knee joint made by OTTO BOCK health and its called Sensor walk , a sort of bionic knee joint that holds tension on the knee and allows for a correct stride.Check it out on Ottobock.com or google it and many types of articulated KAFOS are on there. A company called Hanger orthodics is making mine , they also have an informative web site at hanger.com.
    I too have heard some good things about the OTTO BOCK orthotics, not sure how much they cost though.

Quote Originally Posted by iskumbro View Post
    use KAFO due to hyper extended knees.

worn only for walking.
    ^^^ yep ^^^
    That's what I do, made by hanger. Same deal - left leg goes rigid & stays there - it helps ALLOT.
    Get a new one whenever your insurace will cover it - your leg will change due to being used & likely less atrophy.
    My v. 3.0 fits really well and works great!
    - Steve.

Hello,
    I do wear KAFOs daily for the past 10 years. I am T12 para and the only way for me to walk is by using through-gait. You can get "uber" KAFOs with electronically controlled knee joints. I am not sure how expensive they are, though.