Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sask. joins spinal cord research initiative

Sask. joins spinal cord research initiative

CBC News
    Posted: Mar 15, 2011 8:45 PM CST
    Last Updated: Mar 15, 2011 8:45 PM CST

Rick Hansen, who has championed research into spinal cord injuries, praised Saskatchewan on Tuesday for spending $4.3 million on a five-year initiative in partnership with the foundation that bears his name

"If I am going to complete the original dream of a cure for spinal cord injury, we need to have every province ensuring that their best researchers are thinking and applying their energy and knowledge to discovery," Hansen said in Regina on Tuesday.

read....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...5.html?ref=rss

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    CBC News
    Posted: Mar 15, 2011 8:45 PM CST
    Last Updated: Mar 15, 2011 8:45 PM CST

Rick Hansen, who has championed research into spinal cord injuries, praised Saskatchewan on Tuesday for spending $4.3 million on a five-year initiative in partnership with the foundation that bears his name

"If I am going to complete the original dream of a cure for spinal cord injury, we need to have every province ensuring that their best researchers are thinking and applying their energy and knowledge to discovery," Hansen said in Regina on Tuesday.

read....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...5.html?ref=rss

This article is very misleading, infact no money will go for research to cure SCI.

Saskatchewan's Rick Hansen Institute Initiative is supported by several provincial ministries and agencies and consists of the following five-year commitments for Saskatchewan-based projects that will assist people with disabilities:

• $1 million from the Ministry of Health for spinal cord injury related research;
    • $500,000 from the Ministry of Social Services in new funding for the Canadian Paraplegic Association of Saskatchewan;
    • $500,000 from the Office of the Provincial Secretary to fund the Clayton Gerein Legacy Fund; and
    • in December, the Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport and Sask Sport Inc. announced $2.3 million to help fund disability sports organizations, high-performance athletes with a disability, and accessible playgrounds.

http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=b62...5-684ef772053f

It's time that all of us start investgate on how the money related to SCI are spent.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    this article is very misleading, infact no money will go for research to cure sci.

In december, the ministry of tourism, parks, culture and sport and sask sport inc. Announced $2.3 million to help fund disability sports organizations, high-performance athletes with a disability, and accessible playgrounds.

Paolo
    are you kidding meeeeeeeeee.

Not bad for a province with a population of just over 1 million. Shame that it is ALL being spent on Care only. But hey, maybe that is what Canadian SCIs want to do with their funds.

http://site.rickhansen.com/interdepe...ceProgram.aspx

Advancing Spinal Cord Injury Research Toward a Cure

Incredible progress has been made over the past 25 years in the field of spinal cord injury (SCI) research, and improvement to the quality of life for those living with SCI. Interdependence 2012 will provide a rich environment for innovation leaders, SCI researchers, surgeons, government leaders, hospital administrators and healthcare professionals to reflect on the successes of the past quarter century through the sharing of international best practices and cutting-edge research.

Captivating plenary-style sessions designed to bring together all areas of the field in an improved, collaborative global partnership toward the cure for SCI will be the legacy of this conference program.

Program Themes:
    • Acute SCI Intervention
    • Chronic SCI Intervention
    • Neuroregeneration
    • Registry, Data Management and Clinical Trials
    • Rehabilitation
    I would like to be able to attend this conference. I'll be interested to see who will be speaking and presenting exhibits as the page is updated. I'm happy to see this being planned!
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 03-17-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Not bad for a province with a population of just over 1 million. Shame that it is ALL being spent on Care only. But hey, maybe that is what Canadian SCIs want to do with their funds.
    Not sure that this is so. The basic message on what is said at the outset does not indicate a care only application. Mr Hansen's original mission placed high emphasis on cure.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    Not sure that this is so. The basic message on what is said at the outset does not indicate a care only application. Mr Hansen's original mission placed high emphasis on cure.
    Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

If "cure" is not specified there will be nothing toward a cure.

And even if the cure would have been mentioned, then you want to find out what definition of "cure" they refer at.
    Last you want to look what research projects they give money at & possibly visit the labs where the money went to see what they are doing there...
    I am sorry but I have learned we should not have blind faith in anybody.

If all the money spent for SCI research were spent.... let's say... just with "common sense"... we would be much closer to a cure, if not cured already.

Common sense it's not so common.
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 03-18-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    http://site.rickhansen.com/interdepe...ceProgram.aspx

Advancing Spinal Cord Injury Research Toward a Cure

Incredible progress has been made over the past 25 years in the field of spinal cord injury (SCI) research, and improvement to the quality of life for those living with SCI. Interdependence 2012 will provide a rich environment for innovation leaders, SCI researchers, surgeons, government leaders, hospital administrators and healthcare professionals to reflect on the successes of the past quarter century through the sharing of international best practices and cutting-edge research.

Captivating plenary-style sessions designed to bring together all areas of the field in an improved, collaborative global partnership toward the cure for SCI will be the legacy of this conference program.

Program Themes:
    • Acute SCI Intervention
    • Chronic SCI Intervention
    • Neuroregeneration
    • Registry, Data Management and Clinical Trials
    • Rehabilitation

I would like to be able to attend this conference. I'll be interested to see who will be speaking and presenting exhibits as the page is updated. I'm happy to see this being planned!

The title is not very promising when it comes to a cure.

"Creating Accessible Communities"

Please if you can, gooooo!!!!!!! & put pressure in the cure direcrion.

Don't let press release screw you up, look for facts.

What have they been spending money for.. so far??

If someone can go along to this meet it would be great.

There is the mention of "international"? I would be very interested to know which non-Canadian scientists and clinicians will attend this meet.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

If "cure" is not specified there will be nothing toward a cure.

And even if the cure would have been mentioned, then you want to find out what definition of "cure" they refer at.
    Last you want to look what research projects they give money at & possibly visit the labs where the money went to see what they are doing there...
    I am sorry but I have learned we should not have blind faith in anybody.

If all the money spent for SCI research were spent.... let's say... just with "common sense"... we would be much closer to a cure, if not cured already.

Common sense it's not so common.
    You're demanding people too many things... Giving opinions from the peace of the sofa is much much better...
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)