Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medigap plans?

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    There are 29 states with laws that require insurance companies to offer the same coverage for the disabled that they do for people over 65. So it depends on what state you live in as to whether you can get a Medigap policy. I believe Tennessee's just went into effect in January of this year.

It was attempted at the federal level but did not make it.
    good to know, thanks daisy. I am in NY and I believe they do.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    I was also told by Medicare that only certain Medigap plans will take people under 65, which is something that I had read on this website.
    Fortunately for me Massachusetts insists that medigap policies be extended to anyone of any age if they are getting Medicare, so everyone on Medicare because of a disability has the opportunity to buy a medigap policy.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    LES , I would read what the Medigap policy is going to provide carefully. The A plan is probably useless IMHO as it doesn't provide much. The F is going to cover your part B deductible and excess charges which is where your major expenses is going to come in if you have to have lots of outpatient testing or braces etc like I do occasionally. The F plans are going to be a bit more expensive though....
    oh youre right, Medicare's web site had different benefits listed in 2 sections. F it is, tho in Cal the cheapest yearly cost is about $2500. and goes up to $7000. I wouldnt mind paying the deductible but if many providers charge in excess to Medicare rates that could add up.

I just found out my 20% for my biopsy is going to be about $1,000.

Mary I havent called ship yet but will.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 06-27-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: i was wrong
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    oh your right, Medicare's web site had different benefits listed in 2 sections. F it is, tho in Cal the cheapest yearly cost is about $2500. and goes up to $7000. I wouldnt mind paying the deductible but if many providers charge in excess to Medicare rates that could add up.

I just found out my 20% for my biopsy is going to be about $4,000. wish i would've chosen a medigap policy sooner

Mary I havent called ship yet but will.
    Please check USAA Life Insurance Corporation for their plan F quote. Their quote was the cheapest years ago when I was looking around. I am paying about $160 per month for plan F after starting at about $145 per month in 2005. Plan premiums can be age rated or community rated resulting in different initial premium cost and future escalation. Also, once you buy a Medigap plan you cannot switch to a plan with higher benefits, from plan F to J, for example. Some people I know started with plan J for that reason. Now I see there are plans numbered higher than J. Sorry to hear about your biopsy co-pay. Hope you're doing well and recover and recuperate quickly. All the best with your selection and purchase.

When I got medicare in Dec 2008, Tennessee did'nt have the medigap policies for anyone under 65. I did read where it finally passed Federal law January 1 of this year. Too late to change it for this year.

I have a BCBS advantage plan. Best one I could get, it paid almost everything. Glad I had it in 2009 with all the surgeries I had. But, they changed it in 2010. Raised the cost and lowered some of the benefits. Did the same thing when 2011 rolled around. I now pay the 96.40 plus 151 for the bcbs. When I took the policy, it was only 98 and paid for all testing, etc. I had a co pay for ambulance and er. Now, I have to pay twenty percent for dme, testing, fees for hospital, co pays have gone up.......

I'll be glad to check out the prices for the medigap when November rolls around!

Quote Originally Posted by Quad62 View Post
    Please check USAA Life Insurance Corporation for their plan F quote. Their quote was the cheapest years ago when I was looking around. I am paying about $160 per month for plan F after starting at about $145 per month in 2005. Plan premiums can be age rated or community rated resulting in different initial premium cost and future escalation. Also, once you buy a Medigap plan you cannot switch to a plan with higher benefits, from plan F to J, for example. Some people I know started with plan J for that reason. Now I see there are plans numbered higher than J. Sorry to hear about your biopsy co-pay. Hope you're doing well and recover and recuperate quickly. All the best with your selection and purchase.
    Thank you my lymph nodes were negative for cancer so I'm doing great. The prices I quoted were apparently a 'sample' so hopefully I'll get a better rate. I'll check yours out. The prices for those over 65 were so much cheaper, that's just not right!

Has anyone heard anything about Globe Life & Accident Ins.? They had the lowest cost on the sample list at about $2000. I cant believe the non-profit Blue shield was some $7000. for the same F policy. crazy.

good luck smoky.

I wrote about this in January 2011:
    Medicare....now there is quite a topic. Bales and bales of material have been written about it, but it remains a mystery to most everyone who comes face to face with making decisions about it. I'm sure if you do some internet searches you will find material from AARP, Money Magazine, Smart Money, etc. that will discuss some of the questions you have. That said, there is nothing like going to the source and using the tools at http://www.medicare.gov to help you make some very important decisions. Working your way through the site is not for the faint of heart. It takes some doing to get to the information and even more doing to do the analysis necessary to make your choices. But, if you are eligible for Medicare in a couple of months, you must start wading through the information to make the most of your benefits.

Here is a mini tutorial to get you started:
    1. Go to: http://www.medicare.gov You will arrive at the Home Page
    2. Far left side there are 3 blue bullets, select Health and Drug Plans
    3. Under "Finding Plans" select "Compare Drug and Health Plans."
    4. Now enter your zip code.
    5. From here you will be asked to list the a few more questions until you get to a screen asking you to enter your medications. This is optional, but if you complete this part you will get a better picture of your options and costs.
    Ultimately, you will be presented with you basic medicare coverage, Advantage Plans with drug coverage, Advantage Plans without drug coverage, and Part D, drug plan costs. Here is where you analysis starts.

To find out about the supplemental plans (Medigap), follow the above steps, until you get to step 3. At step 3, select Medigap Policies. Go through the steps on the following screens to get the list of supplemental plans in your area. Again, here is the material that you will need to study to make decisions.

I have a couple of caveats to keep in mind as you dissect your options:
    If you decide to go with an Advantage plan and you will be doing any traveling or staying for weeks or months in another city, another region of your state or another state, look for a plan that is not limited to your region or state. There are some plans that will only cover you in your region (northern California or southern California for instance). Some plans won't cover you outside of your state. Look for nationwide coverage if you will be traveling or living out of your home city for extended periods of time while you are on Medicare.

Most likely, you have a group of doctors with whom you have built a relationship. Make sure the Advantage plan you decide upon includes those doctors and their affiliated hospitals, surgery centers, laboratories, etc., unless you are willing to change physician relationships.

Some Advantage plans offer very limited drug formularies. They may not cover the drugs you need at all or may have them classified in a tier that is very expensive.

You will find that plan premiums are either age rated or community rated. Age rated premiums can go up every year. These plans are rated upon the age of everyone in your state in that policy. Community rated premiums are based on the cost experience of every one in your state in that policy. Bottom line here, you don't want a plan that if filled with older, usually high cost people. Look for a plan that attracts younger medicare participants and
    healthy people who keep cost averages lower. The AARP plans are good examples of community rated policies.

While you are at the Medicare website, enter "Medicare and You" in the search box. There you will find a PDF download of the Medicare and You primer to help you understand terminology, benefits, etc.

Another very helpful site is http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
    Medicare Interactive is question/answer/search based and easy to use.

Good luck,

All the best,
    GJ

thanks gj, the medicare site was helpfu when i chose my medicare and drug plans but it's a little less so with medigap plans. I'm gonna call hicap on monday.

quad62 i called usaa for plan f at my age it is $227 a month, I never thought i'd be envious of my elders

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    thanks gj, the medicare site was helpfu when i chose my medicare and drug plans but it's a little less so with medigap plans. I'm gonna call hicap on monday.

quad62 i called usaa for plan f at my age it is $227 a month, I never thought i'd be envious of my elders
    WOW, then on top of that there is the Part B payment right? and then with a medigap program you have to get a drug plan also and pay for that separately.

right. original medicare is $115. a month and my part d plan is $52 mo - but my 3 rx's are free apparently through an online pharmacy at least.