Thread: Able To Enjoy-B Free

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live

Able To Enjoy-B Free

so, i figured what the hell, i'll try one out. Toto1(i think it was him) had a pic of one on here a while ago. it's pretty cool, but i hope italians built a Ferrari better than a wheelchair. but after some work here's what i think about it. first there were a lot wondering about stability with only one caster. the chair is probably more stable than my ZR, but it surprisingly very front heavy, i have 4" COG and it is hard to pop a wheelie. my concern was cathing at toilet, i usually just roll up and straddle toilet and sit on front of cushion and the chair somewhat kinda goes around to get close enough. this chair has wheel in front middle and hits toilet before i even get close. i tried a little bit ago and wheeled up at an angle to the toilet and sat on the front corner of chair and cathed, i was able to get much closer and the chair was still stable as could be. it's hard to believe, but it is very stable. it's kinda nice to not be bumping into crap all the time too. the chair moves with very little effort and is very sensitive to body movement. With only one caster it tends to wander though. the chair without wheels is very light as there isn't much to it. it came with 25" xcore and some 3/4" high pressure tires and 4" light up caster, i really miss soft rolls and my cushy knobby. I'm short and never understood why many choose 25" wheels, but my Zr is the lowest they sell with 24" wheels and 25's would have my shoulders too high when pushing. i now understand why taller people prefer 25's as this chair sits higher because caster is under your feet and 24's don't give much of a push.
    The chair is it is a new chair i got 2nd hand, never used, but someone had put it together and that is where some of the problems came i'm sure. it has 3 camber plugs in the wheel mounts, none are marked and when i put the wheels on, they were totally different. I spent some time trying to match the sets. the wheels were way out of alignment were the axle mounts were set when i got it and the set screw that aligns it was all jacked up, lucky i don't use that setting and with some work it seems good now. the front end has a spring loaded knob to allow user to fold it back for loading in car or whatever, but it don't work worth crap and actuaaly folded on me when i was sitting in it. i think the spring i got isn't right at all, at least i hope for the manufacturers sake it's not. it doesn't reaaly make sense why it would be spring loaded anyway, i can just loosen knob and fold it? the chair has a little solid back which i'm diggin, have to get a demo for my ZR. i got the chair cause it looks like it folds very compact, and it does. i'm thinking the chair/wheels will fit in the back of my SUV with the 3rd row seats up, i can fit my zr frame, but not both wheels. i haven't tried yet, but this should easily since it is very compact (the bend in the front frame of the ZR is what was getting in the way of fitting in and still having room for wheels, it causes wasted space)
    I'm not going to throw away my zr and actually and working on order for a new zr2, but this a pretty cool chair and when it warms i'll give it a ggod run. i haven't tried loading it in my vehicle yet either, i'll have to change my method a little because it's a suv and i use the door to push chair against when i put wheels on so i don't fall out. can't do that with this chair?

Thanks for the review- I'm really interested in this design. I'd love to see some pics of it in the car transfer. I wonder how that would work in our little coupe.

and here is the link to the chair:

http://www.abletoenjoy.com/index.php...mid=36&lang=en

it looks good.

and thanks for the review!

Looks good, but I don't think I would try a Toto suicide run down a steep hill with it. THe folding mech. should be interesting. Hope it holds like it suppossed to. Good review hope it holds up. Have you tried it on an uneven surface with the one wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Looks good, but I don't think I would try a Toto suicide run down a steep hill with it. THe folding mech. should be interesting. Hope it holds like it suppossed to. Good review hope it holds up. Have you tried it on an uneven surface with the one wheel.
    i took it outside and around in the yard and about, the little skinny tires and roller blade caster suck, like riding a pizza cutter through the soft ground, but the chair is stable. seems weird it is so stable, even when sitting on front corner of the chair when transfering it's probably more stable than doing that in my ZR. it's got black painted push rims on the xcores, the are slick as can be, not sure who the genius was that came up with that.

here some pics, it's a little bit smaller than the ZR without wheels.

Thanks for the pics! I love how small it folds. Often I wish that there was a folding mechanism or quick release way to remove my Z's footrest/downtube when putting it in the car.

The wheelie issue is worrying- as is the spring issue. Is it possible to put a wider caster on the front to help with the pizza cutter feeling? Beyond that- it looks like it would be amazing to fly with, one hell of a travel chair.

i left out the most important part of a review, not worth the high price if bought new(this one specs for around $7500us). i would never considered trying it if had had to pay even anything near half that. my kids wheeled around in it last night and their first comments were how it takes no effort to push and how maneurverable it was. i removed the spring on the front, it was useless with handle, not even sure why it was there. i still had to loosen handle to fold the front back, i put a heavy fender washer in place of spring under handle instead, now it stays in place. if the chair was reasonably priced and easily available in the US, it would be a good chair for the active user and the front ends are easily changed for different options like offroad use. i'm still in disbelief and amazed how stable a 3 wheeled chair is, but like mentioned in the other thread, most of your weight in over the rear wheels. the part that is hard to believe is i can sit in the front corner of chair and it's still very stable, one would think it would fall right over. stinks i don't have the offroad front to try and no way to use the FREEWHEEL.