Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Keys vacation rental?

Florida Keys vacation rental?

We're headed over to the Keys late April and deciding on lodging. Thought I'd toss it out there and ask if anyone has or has leads on a house rental, preferably on Islamorada or Marathon. First time down there, any "must-do's"?

Thanks in advance, PM or post here and I'll contact you with more info

I dont have any spesific leads for you but there are certain keys that have better access because the height of the island itself,,
    I have a friend with a house in marathon but it is a 2 floor house without a way for me to get upstairs so I have not been there since my accident accept to visit and we stay down stairs on the water .. There is a hotel in marathon that is on the west side with water access but it is just a 1 room motel but accessible, but when you call down to any of the hotels make sure that someone you know recomends it or it is a national chain type to see if it has been kept up to ADA code, the keys are like a lot of places they sort of get away from having to have accessible places because of the flooding and building codes the houses have to be so far above the water line and all ..
    If you are looking for a house or cabin one place that we used to go was on conch key , its an asland all its own , they have one place that is wheelchair accessible.
    It is called Conch Key Cottages and they have about 5 or 6 cottages their own boat slip and ramp , nice little fishing pier but there is gravel around the area too so it can be a hard push , and I think you have to call for availability and leave a deposit. I will see if I can find the info and post it back on here for you..
    here is a link , I would double check because it looks like they have re-modeled since we where there 5 years ago..
    http://www.conchkeycottages.com/family/2bdrmcott.htm

Gary
    Last edited by garyv; 03-15-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks Gary that's good to know. You're right, a lot of those properties are built pretty high off the ground. I recently got back from an "accessible" property with a 24" bathroom door. Took some creative thinking to come up with using a picnic table bench like a long sliding board to access the toilet and shower. I checked into your link, they're booked but I appreciate the suggestion.

Brand new hotel - as always, give them a call and ask lots of questions.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...mt/hoteldetail

helpful link - http://www.fla-keys.com/
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

That holiday Inn looks like one of the places we have stayed in Marathon and has good access I think it was a rebuild but a tear out rebuild so it is nice IF that is the same one it sure looks like it .. But if you stay in Marathon there is a restaurant there that is half building and half tent right on the Ocean side right on the water , Foolish might know the name, help out if you know it Foolish , But great little place that has a fried lobster sandwich that we always stopped there to get , I only know it when I see it too..
    Gary

Thanks FO. If a house doesn't pan out, that looks worth a look. Of course my backup plan is to pull a Clarke Griswold outside your place but we still have some time.

I just remembered a lobster sandwich being my last meal as an AB. My buddy who CPR'd me still gives me grief for bird feeding it to back him. Still sounds good though, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Well I might see you guys down there , I am planning on getting down that way some time next month after I get a bunch of personal stuff straightened out, then I am headed down for a much needed few days of relaxing and just doing nothing but a little slow partying... I am going to need it after my break up is over .. and I know a few places I want to go with out dragging the ex around too..
    Gary

We stayed at the Cheeca Lodge in Marathon about 20yrs. ago. It is a very nice place with HP rooms and full access to the amenities

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    We stayed at the Cheeca Lodge in Marathon about 20yrs. ago. It is a very nice place with HP rooms and full access to the amenities
    Even nicer since their relatively recent 1.5 mil. ADA improvements done as a result of litigation. But it's actually in Islamorada.

Link
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Brand new hotel - as always, give them a call and ask lots of questions.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...mt/hoteldetail

helpful link - http://www.fla-keys.com/

hey fo is there a lot to do around this hotel that is accessible dont want to drive after getting there thanks
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]