Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping CC spammers

Stopping CC spammers

I know preventing spammers from infiltrating CC is not simple matter, but if new registrants were required to complete a more detailed profile, something beyond merely identifying their gender, would that not serve to stem the tide?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I know preventing spammers from infiltrating CC is not simple matter, but if new registrants were required to complete a more detailed profile, something beyond merely identifying their gender, would that not serve to stem the tide?
    I suggest using captcha as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I suggest using captcha as well.
    Last I checked captcha was being used.

Most of the spammers we have caught have completely filled in their profiles, but with nonesuch information (such as "when were you injured?" and filling in 123456). That is not stopping anyone from posting many, many spam messages.

Dr. Young and Steven have been working hard at trying to make the site more secure from spammers without making it difficult for legitimate members to register and join our community.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon View Post
    Last I checked captcha was being used.
    No kidding! I didn't know. It's been six years since I registered.

I run a small forum and was inundated with spammers a few months ago.

One simple change has gotten rid of 99% of the problem. I went from a captcha to having the users answer a simple question during registration. So simple that I give the answer in the question.

In fact, it is not even a question, I just ask the users to type a word into the answer field.

Here is what I supplied as my "question":

Type the word "Pacific".

I guess there is software that knows how to read the captcha but cannot figure out a simple instruction to do something.

This will not stop humans from registering. So the problems I was having must have been from bots or some automated registration process.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

interesting my395

the spammers are very annoying. I hate them and wish they would all get the runs.
    they all need tiger balm in their shorts.

I've asked before, but haven't gotten a reply... would it be helpful to have a filter and message count that prevents ANYONE from posting clickable URL's before they have reached a minimum post count (5? 10?)? There is obviously already a post counter that changes member status - so this wouldn't require reinventing the wheel. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too hard to work out the code for the "if", "less than", "then" scenario.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    they all need tiger balm in their shorts.
    That would be a great deterrent
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Dear Foolish Old / LTF SCINurse and all my friends
    Upon me reading this particular thread I find all of your ideas interesting .

What do you think about something like these suggestions ii'll throw out . ?
    For now I think a minimum post upon registering would possibly help cut back the spammers Dr Wise / Steven are fabulous and working very hard & are very compassionate at their approaches to registering but maybe some sort of more intricate way to register woulld be a good start . a possible more intense registration full fill out form idea ? make it harder for the spammers to get into cc

Theres all sorts of ideas in my head but it is up to Dr Wise Young / Steven to finalize these ideas were all throwing out here ... the Captcha is a good thing but it is not fool proof
    I still would hope a newbie has to fully fill out a good legit profile like 100% withouth the typical MALE FeMale 123456 junk and then Dr Wise young / Steven would be able to do their magic ...

Just a few ideas Gang

Sincerely
    GL Judy