Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The 4-AP List

Ok, I am about to start ramping process with Ampyra.
    I was thinking to cut 10mg pill to half for the first day or two but read somewhere
    that pill should not be cut.
    Does anyone know is cutting Ampyra pill so unsafe ?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

I would advise against cutting this time release caplet.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    This is really interesting, and a great finding. I hope others who have orthostatic hypotension with their SCI read your post. Thanks for sharing it.

Do you also feel less "dizzy", with fewer falls?

Great news, if so.
    I haven't fallen since I've started 4-ap, I didn't even realize I had it till my doctor tested me for it, usually I'm so preoccupied with initially walking I wasn't aware I was dizzy, till I just stood standing, I noticed the lighting would darken a little bit. I had a very bad fall several months before I started 4-ap, it was very strange, I didn't remember anything from the fall, I thought it might be from the impact of the landing, but now I'm thinking I passed out.
    Last edited by trekker6; 03-21-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Very interesting.

I agree with your doctor - this is so important that he should write a paper about you!

Comad, cutting capsules is never recommended and esp. not if you need a certain dose. Hope Ampyra helps you. So far I'm still at 25 mg a day that's immediate release and that one 10 mg capsule gets me slightly weirded out. I've read that ramping up to 30 mg a day should take up to 3 months. Yikes! I'm so frustrated with the slow process and my birthday is coming up too. Still using old scooter. Grrr...I wonder if the filler makes much difference. Lactose as filler is much cheaper, but lactose could be more cancer-triggering, I think, than avicell. Maybe not since I'm a vegan...

hmmm they are not capsules but long oval white caplets
    and I don't see reason why they can not be slit in half for first few days
    to take 5 mg for few days than 2 x 5 mg and than start with 1 x 10 mg + 1 x 5mg
    and than to come to 2 x 10 mg - to make my body used to it...
    ??
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

No - you are not supposed to split them. If you are not convinced by our recommendations, call a nearby pharmacy and ask to speak to the pharmacist and ask them. Extended release medicines should not be split/crushed/chewed etc...

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    hmmm they are not capsules but long oval white caplets
    and I don't see reason why they can not be slit in half for first few days
    to take 5 mg for few days than 2 x 5 mg and than start with 1 x 10 mg + 1 x 5mg
    and than to come to 2 x 10 mg - to make my body used to it...
    ??
    Since the capsules are time released, it would seem that you won't have the immediate spike of 4-ap in your bloodstream, it'll be gradually released, I would think a 10 mg slow release would have lower levels of 4ap than a 5mg immediate release tablet.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I tried Ampya 2 Falls ago and it didn't help me much, nor did I feel unstable, and I had to pay $1500 for a month of it! Maybe when it's offered generically in 2017 I'll use more of it. I've been ramping up immed release 4-ap by 5 mg caps since March 2 and been on 25 mg a day for 5 days, but still not feeling stable walking with walker without supervision (what a cool term like they have super powers). I'm going to start using comfrey ointment or extract to help with muscle aches/soreness/stiffness? Emailed a compound pharmacist in Omaha about ramping up 4-ap. Wonder if it could be used topically instead. Anyone hear of that being done??

How about starting a round of PT while you are on the 4-AP? It's not a miracle pill, but if it is helping the nerves that you do have function - now you need to work on strengthening those nerve/muscle connections that you do have.