Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xfers board how do you use yours Or How you do xfer without it...

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    It worked i put the xfer brd under my leg and aim it slanted to my bed, lift butt and slid across ez

xfer brd won't work under my cushion b\c of hand break in the way...

So hopefully i can xfer w/brd into my chair ez tomorrow , i'm so happpy i was killin myself, thanks again...
    good deal Chris. I wish I could transfer without a board but I cannot get my fat ass up to do it. I put the board under my thigh and slide.

Great!

My brakes are level with the frame, so they're not in the way with my board under the cushion.

By the way, I put one foot on the floor (the one closest to the bed). I get my butt forward to the edge of the cushion (lo-profile Roho) by doing a lift with my hands on the push-rims and locking my elbows (I don't have triceps).

Cookbreeze, keep trying different methods. What works well for one, does not for another. You may find that you use the board in a different manner going to bed than going to your chair. I would suggest using someone to spot you until you get comfortable using the board. Downhill is always easier than up, gravity helps. With practice, you will find what works best for you. Remember, you are an individual and your methods will be as unique as you are. The suggestions you have gotten here are great but you may find that something off the wall is what works best for you and that is great. The objective is a safe and effective transfer with a little effort as possible so that you can do it a the end of the day, after therapy, when sick, etc.--eak

Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    Cookbreeze, keep trying different methods. What works well for one, does not for another. You may find that you use the board in a different manner going to bed than going to your chair. I would suggest using someone to spot you until you get comfortable using the board. Downhill is always easier than up, gravity helps. With practice, you will find what works best for you. Remember, you are an individual and your methods will be as unique as you are. The suggestions you have gotten here are great but you may find that something off the wall is what works best for you and that is great. The objective is a safe and effective transfer with a little effort as possible so that you can do it a the end of the day, after therapy, when sick, etc.--eak
    Excellent advice, all of what you posted. I just bolded what I thought were the key points, worth repeating.

as sjean pointed out be careful when u 1st pledge, but man it makes it alot easier on your shoulders. if theres anyway u can adjust your brakes out of the way, do so. as russ and i both said putting the board under the cushion is way safer. it doesnt move at all.

i dont use a board getting in bed but i do getting out. remember coming out try getting the board under your thigh not your butt, makes everything more stable.
    great job.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

The brakes being in the way is why I got scissor brakes - they are well out of the way of my board.

In my experience, I find it easier to keep my feet on my footplate, never on the floor (the weight of my legs would tend to hold me back). In my old folding chair with removable legrests that stuck right out front, it was dangerous to keep my feet on the footrests during transfers, as it would cause the chair to start tipping forward.

To move my bum forward on my cushion in preparation for transferring, I lean right forward (I mean, like bending double almost) in my chair. I hold each side of the front frame of my chair, then I haul myself forward, whilst moving from side to side.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    1.)
    Thanks Guys, But as for as feet being on the floor? is this important ? why?
    2.)
    very important to always keep one hand on slide board. by putting feet on the floor you can use your legs as a "pillar" to help support while pivoting during transfers, plus you wouldn't want to get feet tangled while transferring. for me, i struggled with the slide board and quickly ditched it, it takes practice and eveyone has their own technique, hang in there, you'll figure it out.

oh, for me i have got to put my feet on the floor.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

LOL, I put one on the footrest and the other on the floor.

My board is from ADI. The bottom of the board has a rubbery grip coating on it. I put that end on my cushion, in front of the tire and slide across. The grip side always goes under me at the starting side of the transfer. They also make boards with a small notch in them. The notch hooks the tire to prevent the board from moving.

Pledge does work well.

There's also a member on here who has a board with a stud on it. The stud slides into a pipe on his chair. His board can't move when he uses it.