Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xfers board how do you use yours Or How you do xfer without it...

Xfers board how do you use yours Or How you do xfer without it...

I just recently started using a xfer brd and i'm not good at it, I need help.

Any Tips will be appreciate. I think this can help alot us

1.)
    Do you when xfering place the xbrd to go over the (M)wheelchair rear wheel? B\C This way make the xbrd unstable and hard to move across it.

2.)
    Do you wedge your xfer brd under the seat of the wheelchair cushion or under your butt and the cushion? when xferig.

3.)
    Do you move your butt to the edge of your cushion then xfer?

4.)How high can you or should your lift your butt to xfer ?
    I can go up about 2 1/2 inches?
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

put it under your cushion, thgat way it never kicks out. pledge 1x week for super glide. i dont go over my wheel, i go out the corner, kind of twist and slide.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    put it under your cushion, thgat way it never kicks out. pledge 1x week for super glide. i dont go over my wheel, i go out the corner, kind of twist and slide.
    Thx Fuentejps i'll try the pledge.
    coolbreeze c6/7

I am moving to equipdment forum for more responses.
    AAD

i dont use a xfer board. they tried when i was younger but i find them annoying. i get to the edge of my cushion, put my fist on the surface i was to xfer onto, another fist on my cushion and i press up and pivot with my arms over. if i'm getting into a vehicle then i use the oh shit handle and make a fist on my cushion and pivot. the hand grabbing the handle is just there for stabilization
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Yes, if you can place it under your cushion for getting out of your chair, that will help immensely in keeping it from moving away. I'd also suggest having it above the cushion when getting back in your chair. I also put "grip tape" on the bottom of the board on one end, the end that's not on the sushion (it can mess up your cushion cover). You can get the tape at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's made by 3M and made to go on stairs to made them non-skid. It's black and looks like sandpaper.

I also have the board in front of the wheel at an angle. As for lifting, sliding and/or twisting, you'll need to experiment to see what works best for you. Ind a technique that is efficient and doesn't require all your brute strength. This will help save your shoulders and will allow you to transfer even when you're weak from being sick, exhausted, etc.

Are you able to sit w/o a backrest, leaning forward with hands on the seat to either side about mid thigh and close to your leg? If so, how high can you lift and how long can you hold the lift? Can you do the same with one of your arms several inches away from your leg, but a little further forward? Try the other arm instead (sometimes one arm is better than the other). Practicing your balance while your chest and head are over your thighs (leaning forward rather than upright) really helps a lot with many things, especially pushing hard up hills and and all. If you can do depressions while leaning forward like this, I can help you with technique to ditch the board. Also, how high are your foortrests off the ground?
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    Thx Fuentejps i'll try the pledge.
    Be careful when you try the Pledge, coolbreeze.
    I tried it after seeing fuente mention it in another thread. It works, but you may be surprised at how much quicker you whizz across the board!

I use a board for all transfers. I have three different boards for different uses.
    I would never put my board on my wheel, as it makes it much too unstable.
    I also would have trouble putting my board under my cushion, as I can't get a lift. I tend to roll to the opposite side of my board, so I can pull my bum up, then shove the board under.

1.)
    Thanks Guys, But as for as feet being on the floor? is this important ? why?
    2.)
    Are should the question be how may inches from footrest to floor be?
    3.)
    How do you u guys move your butt to the edge of the cushion(ROHO) I find this extremely hard.

Hope i'm not asking to many questions, but i need to verify what i'm doing and u guys tips - u guys really save the day, plus i share my learnings with 1st time rookies...
    coolbreeze c6/7

It worked i put the xfer brd under my leg and aim it slanted to my bed, lift butt and slid across ez

xfer brd won't work under my cushion b\c of hand break in the way...

So hopefully i can xfer w/brd into my chair ez tomorrow , i'm so happpy i was killin myself, thanks again...
    coolbreeze c6/7