Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neighbors bought a trampoline

Neighbors bought a trampoline

Geessh. This sucks. My neighbors bought a trampoline. I cant tell you how deathly afraid I am of my kids getting hurt on these death traps. I dont have a SCI from one but I hear the horror stories of them all of the time. Now I have to explain to my kids that I dont like them jumping on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    Geessh. This sucks. My neighbors bought a trampoline. I cant tell you how deathly afraid I am of my kids getting hurt on these death traps. I dont have a SCI from one but I hear the horror stories of them all of the time. Now I have to explain to my kids that I dont like them jumping on it.
    I got my sci on one in high school gym class. Click on the link at the bottom of my signature. It will take you to my CC webpage. Show you kids the photos of me and what they can do. I have known a half dozen trampoline quads over the past 5+ decades. Many other serious injuries happen too.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I don't blame you. They are a very attractive nuisance.
    Make sure your neighbors know that you don't want your kids on their trampoline, and tell them why. If they understand that they are liable if any injury occurs, they are more likely to keep an eye on things.
    - Richard

p.s. Just saw SCIfor55's post. Excellent example.

I feel what you say,
    my kids cousin got one. its pretty unused now. two broken armsover the years as far as I know, but not my kids. I had visions of brokenness when I saw the thing though.

Before the wonderful world of SCI it was hard to imagine that many ways of actually breaking your neck. We all heard that famous term "you will break your neck!"
    I see young people ripping around on motorcycles, barelegged girls hanging on the back,kids on monkeybars, the neighbor at the lake trampoline etc.
    I know you can't live in a bubble and not enjoy sports, but how do you draw a safe line? I've never been such a worrier.
    TMAZ, I would show your kids 55s story.

I felt the same way, our neighbours have an ancient trampoline - no padding, no net, bigish hole in the fabric - and they let their kids jump off the deck onto it or JUMP INTO THE POOL FROM IT! After very careful consideration we bought a mini (6 foot) trampoline with net and padding. This way our daughters can jump under our supervision and control, in as safe a manner as possible. We can ensure they don't jump with more than one person, don't do flip, etc.
    It is good exercise so we tried to minimize the risk.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Nets and padding probably help but I got my SCI dead in the middle of the thing, just over rotated a flip...

I hate hearing this. I understand what you mean. I still let my son play football though.....
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I would draw the line at trampolines. It doesn't hurt kids to have limits.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

One day shortly after my injury, my then 12 year old son came out of his bedroom carrying his helmet & chest protector. When he saw the look on my face he came over & hugged me and said, "Nothing's changed, Mom."

It's hard not to see danger in everything nowadays. Millions of people do these activities every day without incident. It's hard to keep that in perspective.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama