Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25" Kenda Wide Knobbys? How much taller than, say, Primos or Marathons?

25" Kenda Wide Knobbys? How much taller than, say, Primos or Marathons?

Let's say I mount a set of these on a 25" rim:

http://www.sportaid.com/kenda-wide-k...-2-50-559.html

Are these significantly taller than other everyday tires? Anyone know?

When I used "real" mountain bike tires on my Crossfire, I used 6" casters. When I lowered down to Marathon Plus's, I moved to 5" casters to keep the geometry the same... just wondering if the hight difference of Kenda Knobbys could change a chair's geometry.

I'm just looking for a non-marking knobby option...

my question still stands... though I did just discover some white MTB tires:

I had them on my chair last year (2009-2010)...and I do believe they increased my height some...but not enough to make me need to change what hole my casters went into. Sorry I cannot be of more help...trying to remember back to that winter...just is not working.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Nah, that helps. Thanks!

I have two chairs. Both with 24 inch rims. One with the Kendra and one with marathons. The kendra move the axle about 1/2 inch higher. I use to use the 1 3/8 kendra knobby. 2 inch push easier on flat ground, because they have a smoother center. But they are a lot wider than the 1 3/8.

thanks...

the axle moving 1/2" higher = also the difference between 4" & 5" casters.

so if this is the case, let's say I spec'd a chair for 26" rear wheels w/ Primos... I could theoretically swap 25" wheels w/ Kenda knobbys on w/o any [significant] change in geometry... can anyone else confirm? SCI_OTR?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Let's say I mount a set of these on a 25" rim:

http://www.sportaid.com/kenda-wide-k...-2-50-559.html

Are these significantly taller than other everyday tires? Anyone know?

When I used "real" mountain bike tires on my Crossfire, I used 6" casters. When I lowered down to Marathon Plus's, I moved to 5" casters to keep the geometry the same... just wondering if the hight difference of Kenda Knobbys could change a chair's geometry.

I'm just looking for a non-marking knobby option...

Translates to a bicycle sizing of 26x1.95(50-559), so when fully inflated the outside tire edge diameter should be approximately 26". When compared to a 25x1 (25-559), the 26x1.95(50-559) should raise your axle by at least 1/2".

maybe, but theres also a height diff between marathons and primos... i think sciotr once said it was about 1/4"? so to use bfd's measurements, perhaps 26" w/marathons would swop with 25" w/ the knobbys. but work it out properly, its too late for me to be doing accurate calculations of any kind.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    thanks...

the axle moving 1/2" higher = also the difference between 4" & 5" casters.

so if this is the case, let's say I spec'd a chair for 26" rear wheels w/ Primos... I could theoretically swap 25" wheels w/ Kenda knobbys on w/o any [significant] change in geometry... can anyone else confirm? SCI_OTR?
    That is the theory.

The Kenda's will give you slightly more than 26" because they are designed to fit a wider rim. Your 1" rim allows more tire material to balloon out as it were giving you that slightly more than 26" tire diameter and not the perfect 26" if they were seated on a 26x1.95 rim. So negligible not worth worrying about. Except of course with brakes.
    Last edited by NW-Will; 03-14-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    maybe, but theres also a height diff between marathons and primos... i think sciotr once said it was about 1/4"? so to use bfd's measurements, perhaps 26" w/marathons would swop with 25" w/ the knobbys. but work it out properly, its too late for me to be doing accurate calculations of any kind.
    This is more of the issue re: what I'm looking for. I have Marathons on one set of wheels & they're taller than Primos, yes. I'm just curious about Kenda Knobbys vs. Marathons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    That is the theory.

The Kenda's will give you slightly more than 26" because they are designed to fit a wider rim. Your 1" rim allows more tire material to balloon out as it were giving you that slightly more than 26" tire diameter and not the perfect 26" if they were seated on a 26x1.95 rim. So negligible not worth worrying about. Except of course with brakes.
    Yeah, I get that. Thanks for pointing it out though.