Thread: Nerve Grafting for Spinal Cord Injury in Cats: Are We Close to Translational Research

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nerve Grafting for Spinal Cord Injury in Cats: Are We Close to Translational Research

Nerve Grafting for Spinal Cord Injury in Cats: Are We Close to Translational Research?
    Hanna, Amgad S; Côté, Marie-Pascale; Houlé, John; Dempsey, Robert

http://journals.lww.com/neurosurgery...ts__Are.1.aspx

Neurosurgery:
    April 2011 - Volume 68 - Issue 4 - pp N14-N15
    doi: 10.1227/01.neu.0000395789.12519.fc
    Science Times

As you can see... There is little to no information given, but the title is really irking my patience. I hope they publish it soon, I am giving a presentation on SCI's in class and I was hoping I could discuss other treatments.

From the little summary I got from Columbia University's site, it seems like a very treacherous treatment, however perhaps it could work. What are your thoughts on nerve grafting?

-Hannah

Here is a link to a related article (2010).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20599980
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Basically they performed a nerve graft from C7 to T1 using ChABC to suppress CSPG. There was evidence of axon growth into and out of the graft into the spinal cord but...
    The severity of injury was not sufficient to study clinical improvement.
    The efficacy of treatments in large animal models will best provide preclinical evidence that is necessary before moving forward with human SCI trials
    FYI The article sites the following
    Cote MP, Hanna A, Lemay MA, et al. Peripheral nerve grafts after cervical spinal cord injury in adult cats. Exp Neurol. 2010;225(1):173-182.