Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Fringe" & Disability (TV Show)

"Fringe" & Disability (TV Show)

Anybody watch "Fringe"? I love this show!

*SPOILER ALERT*

Last night's episode dealt with a scientist trying to help people with Muscular Dystrophy by injecting them with a new molecule that was "lighter than air" and allowed them to float in the air or walk while wearing weighted boots. There was also a scene of a wheelchair rugby scrimmage with the scientist's son's rugby team.

It was an interesting premise, even if they sort of glossed over some of the disability stuff. His son's hands seemed to be fine, but then I've met rubgy players who's hand seem normal but do have enough deficit to qualify as a rugby player. And I'm not very knowledgeable on M.D., so I'm not sure how accurately it was portrayed.

Great episode though, at least for how the major storyline of "Fringe" moved along, and it was cool to see some wc ppl on it, some of the extras at least looked like real quads. Can't wait for next week. Did I mention love this show?

Scorp, I think we're tv twins. Fringe lost me a few eps into the first season, it seemed a little too "freak show of the week" for me, but I got totally sucked back in once they established the wider two universe arc. Unlike the X-Files, where the mythology became so inconsistent and absurd that even the actors looked bored and/ or embarrassed, the Fringe story lines and character conflicts have been vastly improved by the introduction of a consistent sci-fi backdrop. Now it's one of my favourite shows.

The latest ep threw me off because the "bad guy" was the best friend from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I agree that they should have given a little more weight (haha) to the dilemmas of disability, but points for even trying to be inclusive. They did highlight leg atrophy.

It lost me in the 2nd season I think. If I try to watch it now will I be totally confused?
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Les, I think you'll need to catch up to follow the core storyline, but some episodes can stand alone - this eps is kinda like that, but they do inject the central story throughout in bits a pieces, and you need to have followed to "get" the end. Actually, I was a bit confused with the ending, but I can have a short attention span when watching tv or stuff on the computer (I often watch these eps on hulu), so I might watch it again.

It's too bad, that they used to have all the seasons on Hulu, but now there are only a few of the latest ones. I don't know if they're making the rest available on Hulu Plus. I hate Hulu Plus, things that were once available are no longer avail for many of the stuff on Hulu. I think they'll eventually make Hulu by subscription only, or only leave the crappy stuff for free.

Scraper, I love the "freak show" eps best, just like I did in the x-files (I got tired and annoyed with the ufo and abduction stuff pretty quick).

I didn't buy the reality of the disability as portrayed here, but that wasn't too significant to the story anyway (wth is dad helping that kid into bed and w/shoes??! lol).

This past week must have been disability week on FOX. Check out "The Hand that Rocks the Wheelchair"

sidenote: I love Walter. THIS Walter, not faux Walter. Would that be "Fauxalter"?
    Last edited by chick; 03-13-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    sidenote: I love Walter. THIS Walter, not faux Walter. Would that be "Fauxalter"?
    The show calls the other walter, "Walternate."
    Daniel

oooooooh yea, duh. How did I forget that!

The Television Without Pity recaps call alt-Olivia Fauxlivia.

Les, try jumping back in toward the end of season 2. That's where it gets really good. The website tv.com does basic recaps if you want to read up instead of watching the ones you missed.

I don't mind the more episodic stories, as gross as they can be sometimes. I just enjoy the ones about the characters and their cross-universe connections more.

Unlike chick, I actually liked the alien abduction thread woven through The X-Files, even though I was disappointed in how the dragged it out and never really resolved much of it. I did however almost always enjoy the "freak of the week" episodes.

And I think that's part of why I really like Fringe; they have a nice balance between the "freak of the week" and the mythology of the series. And unlike X-Files (or worse, Lost), they are actually moving the story along and answering questions.

Scaper, did you notice Walter referred to the alternate Olivia as Fauxlivia a few episodes ago? It was a nice nod to the fans who were using the moniker online. At the recent Emerald City Comic-Con someone (in the cast, I think) said the alternate Astrid could be called KickAsstrid. Btw, a buddy/former co-worker of mine writes for Television Without Pity, but I rarely check out that site.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Unlike chick, I actually liked the alien abduction thread woven through The X-Files, even though I was disappointed in how the dragged it out and never really resolved much of it. I did however almost always enjoy the "freak of the week" episodes.
    "Starlight," anyone? Yeah, not their finest hour. Some of those scary stand-alones, however, were fantastic and still give me the creeps just thinking about them. Too bad the last movie was such a flop, I would have liked to keep revisiting the franchise.

And I think that's part of why I really like Fringe; they have a nice balance between the "freak of the week" and the mythology of the series. And unlike X-Files (or worse, Lost), they are actually moving the story along and answering questions.
    Absolutely. They're building toward a very juicy confrontation. Unless Fox cancels it of course.

Scaper, did you notice Walter referred to the alternate Olivia as Fauxlivia a few episodes ago? It was a nice nod to the fans who were using the moniker online. At the recent Emerald City Comic-Con someone (in the cast, I think) said the alternate Astrid could be called KickAsstrid. Btw, a buddy/former co-worker of mine writes for Television Without Pity, but I rarely check out that site.
    I did notice, made me laugh. I spend way too much time at TWoP.

I read that they're planning a third X-Files movie.

Fringe should be safe from cancellation; when DVR stats are taken into consideration, their ratings are strong.