Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flight Ultralight Wheelchair

I don't understand why you guys are ragging on the style and color (digital pink camo). It would look right at home as an end table on someones patio down in Florida

There is a lady that comes out to the RISE events here that has one of these chairs, it's painted in the stars and stripes theme and she loves it and swears by it. Of course she's an older lady and not really active in it, so her swearing by it isn't enough to get me to get one...
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I don't understand why you guys are ragging on the style and color (digital pink camo). It would look right at home as an end table on someones patio down in Florida
    Are the pink flamingos standard?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Are the pink flamingos standard?
    No. Once they get a look at it, they decide it is time for them to migrate elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post

Ugly or not...

I'm aware this post I'm leaving is a little late, but I myself use one of these chairs. I actually have two of them and have been using them for around the last 5-6 years or so. It's really made with aircraft composites not wood. Although under the paint it does resemble wood. Valley Center being on the outskirts of Wichita, and Wichita being the aircraft capital of the world, three, of the four men that founded the company, and built these chairs actually worked at Cessna, Beechcraft, Spirit etc. The body of the chair is made with solid, tightly compressed foam between aluminum (what they called sandwiched aluminum). The appearance of this chair is of (nearly) no importance to me. What is the most important aspect of a chair to me though, is comfort, ease to be able to fold, and put it in my car with zero assistance. WITH all the parts like wheels, brakes, the back of the chair and whatever else, this chair weighs just 24 pounds. I've been much happier with this chair than any others. It is a fully adjustable, folding chair. So to put it in my car, I don't have to take the wheels, or backrest off. (I drive a Mazda RX-8, so there are back doors like suicide doors with the hinges on the opposite side, and they're only about a foot and a half wide) When folded it's got a width of only 9 inches, and folding it in half is not a chore, it's definitely VERY simple. There is a handle on the seat of the chair and all that has to be done is pull up on the handle. I've had another brand of adjustable folding chair, but it was without a doubt heavier, and folding it wasn't nearly as easy, it put up much more of a fight! Lol. What I also LOVE about this chair, that others don't have is, the seat is rigid/solid, not a fabric sling seat. That causes me to sit much more comfortably. The sling seat always made me to sink down and made my hips uncomfortably turn in. I don't think this company is in business anymore, which sucks for me because I'll be wanting/needing a new chair soon! I know what I want, but can't find it! I want a folding chair, with a solid seat instead of a sling, it needs to be super light, adjustable, and I need a fixed footplate instead of ones that are separate and come off. So if anyone knows of something exactly like that, let me know! Cost isn't important!

Thanks BOW, I was about to ask what the chair weighed when I finally got to your post. Using aircraft honeycomb and other type materials in this fashion makes sense to me. Being able to fold away a chair as you do is what we all want. Yours isn't pink is it?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

http://www.kimobility.com/product.php?SCID=20&CID=1

Comes with optional aluminum seat pan.

Quote Originally Posted by bitchonwheels View Post
    I'm aware this post I'm leaving is a little late, but I myself use one of these chairs. I actually have two of them and have been using them for around the last 5-6 years or so. It's really made with aircraft composites not wood. Although under the paint it does resemble wood. Valley Center being on the outskirts of Wichita, and Wichita being the aircraft capital of the world, three, of the four men that founded the company, and built these chairs actually worked at Cessna, Beechcraft, Spirit etc. The body of the chair is made with solid, tightly compressed foam between aluminum (what they called sandwiched aluminum). The appearance of this chair is of (nearly) no importance to me. What is the most important aspect of a chair to me though, is comfort, ease to be able to fold, and put it in my car with zero assistance. WITH all the parts like wheels, brakes, the back of the chair and whatever else, this chair weighs just 24 pounds. I've been much happier with this chair than any others. It is a fully adjustable, folding chair. So to put it in my car, I don't have to take the wheels, or backrest off. (I drive a Mazda RX-8, so there are back doors like suicide doors with the hinges on the opposite side, and they're only about a foot and a half wide) When folded it's got a width of only 9 inches, and folding it in half is not a chore, it's definitely VERY simple. There is a handle on the seat of the chair and all that has to be done is pull up on the handle. I've had another brand of adjustable folding chair, but it was without a doubt heavier, and folding it wasn't nearly as easy, it put up much more of a fight! Lol. What I also LOVE about this chair, that others don't have is, the seat is rigid/solid, not a fabric sling seat. That causes me to sit much more comfortably. The sling seat always made me to sink down and made my hips uncomfortably turn in. I don't think this company is in business anymore, which sucks for me because I'll be wanting/needing a new chair soon! I know what I want, but can't find it! I want a folding chair, with a solid seat instead of a sling, it needs to be super light, adjustable, and I need a fixed footplate instead of ones that are separate and come off. So if anyone knows of something exactly like that, let me know! Cost isn't important!

color can be changed, the anti tippers would be a challenge to remove while being in the chair and foot rest could be better positioned, just thinking of terms of loading and unloading from the car.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by bitchonwheels View Post
    What you're saying is the whole point - if something works for you then it works. I am very glad it's helping you so much. That said, I still think that for me, it's too ugly. I can't get past the appearance. We get used to all sorts of things including using a chair in the first place and I certainly wasn't born with metal tubes and wheels underneath me but I find many of the chairs out there quite attractive. This thing looks like a folding milk crate but mostly it makes me think that the designers made it without an understanding of wheelchair users. I think I'd be thinking about that everyday I used it.

Then again, if it made me hurt less while getting it in and out of the car I might be able to forgive a lot.