Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Ultralight Wheelchair

Flight Ultralight Wheelchair

I saw a man sitting in this wheelchair yesterday. I never saw anything like it.

It's a semi-rigid folding chair made of "plastic" [maybe he meant fiberglass?]. It was fully adjustable, had frog legs and an easy to pop-out solid seat insert.

www.algor.com/news_pub/cust_app/AIR_wheelchair/default.asp

Aero Innovative Research, Inc. (AIR) of Valley Center, Kansas, designed and manufactures the Flight Ultralight Wheelchair, which provides greater mobility, ease of use ...

He did not know the cost because his workmen's compensation paid for the wheelchair.

Their original website: http://www.airwheelchair.com/ is offline now. But it's a press-molding system (like plastic coated wood basically) if I remember correctly. My problem is it was ugly (and couldn't take my weight). This one, if it's their new one, looks a lot nicer... But...

Warning don't click on this image. You've been warned!!

I don't see anything different than this one I issued in September of '09...

The folding hinge on the footrests looks like it could be a weak spot and break eventually.

Ooh, the pictures that you posted are so much better. The box-like structural support is what caught my eye. That and the ugly color of the chair something along the lines of a neon crayola lilac purple.

His chair was scraped and I swear it did look like wood with plastic on it. I wonder what the longevity of the wheelchair will be.

FYI: the occupant of the wheelchair wasn't skinny, easily 200 lbs. He is thrilled with his chair and tweaking it (i.e. removed the swing-away apart of the tubular armrests, removed the splashguards, changed the position of his brakes to down low to help with clearing his bottom for transfers.) I suggested that he change his COG and he looked puzzled. I guess he is a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Ooh, the pictures that you posted are so much better. The box-like structural support is what caught my eye. That and the ugly color of the chair something along the lines of a neon crayola lilac purple.
    The photos above are black and white.

You gotta click on them for the true hideous gems that they are.

You know, I saw this thread and thought to myself: "I'm not gonna comment on how ugly that chair is, AGAIN."

And then you 2 had to go and bring these pictures back to the forefront of my mind.

JESUS CHRIST!!! THAT'S ONE UGLY FREAKIN' CHAIR!!!!

WHO did they think would WANT to roll around in that thing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

*deep breath*

OK.

Sorry, Wheelchair_Designer. I really tried to keep it to myself because I really hope you succeed because it's an...uh...neat idea? maybe? OK, that's about as good as I can do.

Suffice it to say, it definitely fits a need that no other chair suits, exactly, and if one were to think they have that need then I'm sure glad the Flight is available for them.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

With a few mods, it would make a decent shower chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    With a few mods, it would make a decent shower chair.
    I wouldn`t seat in that for get a shower, i prefer my toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post

OMG did someone barf on it during the injection molding proccess? That is hideous.