Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble getting wheels off

Trouble getting wheels off

Having trouble getting my quick release axles out when I'm breaking down my chair. I can't push in the button and pull at the same time, especially from the center of the wheel. I just don't have that kind of dexterity.

I've seen some people who have little metal loops on the end of their axles, where are those from?

Could I fashion something out of velcro to use or would that bend the spokes too much? I was thinking something in the shape of a capitol "I", a hole in the middle of the long part and use the two shorter pieces to connect and make a handle that crosses over the center of the hub.

I suck at transferring, so far, but I want to do it myself if I can.

quad quick release. flip and pull
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRing View Post
    Having trouble getting my quick release axles out when I'm breaking down my chair. I can't push in the button and pull at the same time, .
    You would need and axle like in this Dino wheels.

Thanks- those are the ones. Are they a lot easier to use? Do they make the chair noticeably wider? I don't have to buy new axles right? I just replace the button with them?

Now to find some used ones...

You just need to replace the existing axle nut with the Quad Quick Release. It does not add to the width of the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRing View Post
    Thanks- those are the ones. Are they a lot easier to use? Do they make the chair noticeably wider? I don't have to buy new axles right? I just replace the button with them?

Now to find some used ones...
    I have been using Quad releases for 20 years, and they work great! No need to "push" the button.

Looking at mine, they do not stick out any farther than the push rims, so I would say NO on making it wider.

Typically, all you do is take off the existing nut and screw on the quad release. You have to adjust it to the right spot (and tighten the set screw) so that the buttons not being pushed when in the down position.

Depending on your wheels, you may need a spacer. For example, when I got the new Quickie 2 Lite, the hubs are a little different than the standards, so a spacer is needed.

Hope this helps you!
    C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

Yes, this absolutely does help! Thank you all very very much!

Sorry I keep asking so many questions- I just have nowhere else to turn to.

It might also just help to have a bit of training. My wife had a bunch of trouble until I showed her the simple way to do it. I hold the wheel like a syringe. Pinky and ring finger on one side of the hub, index and middle finger on the other, then push with the thumb. Put it where you want to (take it off, put it on) and let go and it's done. Once she figured that out she no longer has any trouble. However, if you just don't have the strength in your fingers to hold the wheel (doesn't take much but if your fingers are affected by your condition, then it's very possible) then the quad-release axles are what you're looking for. You just flip them out and they unlock. But it's another movement instead of just grabbing the hub so it just depends what you're personal priorities and issues are.

But there ya go; simple instructions to do it with one hand easily without trying anything really dexterous and the answer to the quad axles. Best of luck for whatever you do.

Ohh, also make sure you keep them properly lubed up and clean so they slide in and out easily. (very thin coat of axle grease is what I use, put it on then use a paper towel to almost wipe it all off leaving just a very thin coat. Too much will gunk up and collect dirt. Too little will dry out and make the axle sticky and hard to insert/remove.

If you just need the button to protrude a bit more, a cheap mod would be to lengthen your axles slightly and insert a washer between the button and the hub...