Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I consider assisted living facility?

should I consider assisted living facility?

Well, it's late at night here in PA and tomorrow I'm flying to Fort Lauderdale Florida for a vacation/househunting.

I'm only going to be there for a week, but I have made it a personal goal of mine to move to Florida before another Northeast winter. So, that would be by the end of this year. Ever since my injury, every time fall and winter come around, I feel like I'm doing a prison sentence, because I don't leave my house much because of how cold I am all the time.

I'm a C5, C6 complete. I've been injured for about 11 1/2 years now and I've made some really big breakthroughs last year. The list includes getting my driver's license, getting my van with modifications, moving out, and hiring an agency to help me with my personal needs.

I've decided Fort Lauderdale is where I want to move (I know I just bought my own home and modified it like 6 months ago), but say I don't find a place or area during my time down there. Should I consider moving into an assisted living facility and then once I'm down there I can get to know the area and make my move from there, instead of buying a house in an area I'm not familiar with? It's difficult to make trips to Florida with my injury. So, I really don't want to go down there more than once. It would also require my dad taking more time off from work to take me down there.

I just wasn't sure what type of care you would get in an assisted living facility I can afford a good one (if they exist) and if that would be something to take into consideration. I know nobody in Florida and have no family there.

Any suggestions...?

Oh, if you live in Fort Lauderdale. Where are some good areas to look? I'm looking for a safe area and a home... not a condo. That's within walking distance or a short ride to shopping, restaurants, movies, dog park (or park)... etc.
    Last edited by Larsen; 02-27-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: typo

Often I think about my fav area in Fla
    I like Bal Harbour area it was beautiful
    It's been a while since i've been there but I liked the area Most everywhere was wheelchair acessable including the busses .
    Maybe someday i'll move there it is nice very kool . Lot's to do and see .

Bal Harbor island had homes for sale when alex my friend he is a taxi driver took me out to speculate on property , Google it up BTW all the food there is excellent imop especially this irish pub Hannigans or a name like Dennigans I forget sorry but they makes the best phillies in the world .
    Good luck
    Sincerely ; GL

I understand completely winter feeling like a prison sentence. I feel that was too, especially this year, which has been absurd for snow totals. (I am in MA.). I know nothing about Florida particularly, but if you don't know about www.zillow.com or www.realty.com check them out. Between seeing photos of the houses, both inside and out, and then using Google Earth to check out the neighborhood, you can get a pretty good glimpse of if something is worth looking at or not. When you narrow it down to two or three you could fly down and make a decision. Good luck.

I hung out in Fort Lauderdale during the winters of 1970-71 when I should have been finishing grade 12. And I was there six months before my accident in 1978. I preferred the Keys but Fort Lauderdale was fun

Quote Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
    Well, it's late at night here in PA and tomorrow I'm flying to Fort Lauderdale Florida for a vacation/househunting.

I'm only going to be there for a week, but I have made it a personal goal of mine to move to Florida before another Northeast winter. So, that would be by the end of this year. Ever since my injury, every time fall and winter come around, I feel like I'm doing a prison sentence, because I don't leave my house much because of how cold I am all the time.

I'm a C5, C6 complete. I've been injured for about 11 1/2 years now and I've made some really big breakthroughs last year. The list includes getting my driver's license, getting my van with modifications, moving out, and hiring an agency to help me with my personal needs.

I've decided Fort Lauderdale is where I want to move (I know I just bought my own home and modified it like 6 months ago), but say I don't find a place or area during my time down there. Should I consider moving into an assisted living facility and then once I'm down there I can get to know the area and make my move from there, instead of buying a house in an area I'm not familiar with? It's difficult to make trips to Florida with my injury. So, I really don't want to go down there more than once. It would also require my dad taking more time off from work to take me down there.

I just wasn't sure what type of care you would get in an assisted living facility I can afford a good one (if they exist) and if that would be something to take into consideration. I know nobody in Florida and have no family there.

Any suggestions...?

Oh, if you live in Fort Lauderdale. Where are some good areas to look? I'm looking for a safe area and a home... not a condo. That's within walking distance or a short ride to shopping, restaurants, movies, dog park (or park)... etc.
    If I had money to stay a while and scout out the area. I think I would do that. I know even when I have rented, I have gotten into a bad area and been locked into a lease that I had to break. When it came to my safety though it was worth breaking the lease. When you buy a house in a bad neighborhood, it is not so easy to sell sometimes.

There are many high end assisted living centers in Florida. I hope some of our members who live there will chime in. I live in a retirement town in the mountains and lots of people who have second homes here live in Fort Lauderdale.

I wish you luck and I know you will enjoy Florida and be much healthier/happier in the warmer weather.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'm sure ready for some sunshine, my niece lives in Venice beach and it sure is nice there, they have some great deals, thy got a 3600 sq ft house with a glassed in pool jacuzzi, 4 bed 3 bath for 195,000, it sold 3 years ago for 450 grand, i will have my home paid for this year up here and sure thinking about going finding me a winter place down there, i dont need anything like what they got as far as size, but would be nice to see sunshine and ride my harley all winter.....plus owning airbrush shops here in tn. i'm sure i could land a day or 2 job airbrushing a week and make me a little fun money!

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    I'm sure ready for some sunshine, my niece lives in Venice beach and it sure is nice there, they have some great deals, thy got a 3600 sq ft house with a glassed in pool jacuzzi, 4 bed 3 bath for 195,000, it sold 3 years ago for 450 grand, i will have my home paid for this year up here and sure thinking about going finding me a winter place down there, i dont need anything like what they got as far as size, but would be nice to see sunshine and ride my harley all winter.....plus owning airbrush shops here in tn. i'm sure i could land a day or 2 job airbrushing a week and make me a little fun money!
    It would be fun to buy something that with several partners. Everyone gets a month break from winter. Venice used to be a cool little beach town. The last time I was there their waterfront was being condominium-ized.

At realtor.com if you do an advanced search you can select your geographical area then indicate you want to see listings with "disability features" in some cases this means no more than a ramp but you will usually be able to see pictures of the homes and a good number of them have roll in showers, very few accessible kitchens, etc. You could use this site to develop a number of listings you want to view with a realtor when you get down there. If you are interested in Fort Lauterdale be sure to indicate that you want to see listings for homes say within 20 miles of Fort Lauderdale as this will increase the number of listings you will see with "disability features". Good luck.

Update: Sorry I haven't posted all week, but I was down in Fort Lauderdale this past week. I found a place down there that I am going to live in. It's in Sunrise Florida, off of Sunrise Boulevard. It hasn't been built yet, but the delivery is for fall... early winter 2011. It's great that they haven't built it yet, because I made all the modifications I needed to make in order to make it completely handicap accessible.
    I'm a little scared... this is a GIANT step for me! I've been telling my parents I want to move to Florida for the last few years, and we've gone down to look at property a couple of times, but always came up empty-handed. In a way, I think that they were always happy that we came up empty-handed because I wouldn't be leaving. It's going to be so hard leaving everyone I know, and going somewhere where I literally know no one. My dad will come down with me for a few months to help me get settled. He really liked the area and said he might even move down, but as far as I know I could be going down on myself after he helps me get settled.
    My biggest worry is finding the right help and making sure that someone is there every morning and night. Does anybody know any good agencies or where to look for help. I am going to need help with our program and shower in the morning also getting up. And also will need help getting into bed.
    I wasn't sure if I made the right decision when I bought the place, but the next day we just stayed at the hotel and relaxed, and when I felt the weather I was outside all day and totally loved it. It's weird... I know I'm making the right decision but it feels like I'm not.
    Are there any other quads out there who have made a similar move to me?

Thanks for the posts

Congratulations on your decision and finding something that is going to be already modified by the time you move in! You are courageous in doing this, and I have been thinking about escaping another New England winter after this horrible, horrible winter.