Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: International Spinal Cord Repair Meeting in Barcelona

Thanks Paolo. Good report. The nanotechnology is really exploding with so many companies now. Incidentally, as per requested, CRF will be posting their updated report on financial expenditures for cure research and grants within the next 2-3 weeks on the website. I'll link the new reports to you. I received notification today. Additional links I received today can be posted at that time also.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 03-31-2011 at 01:00 AM.

I personally believe that the introduction of fibres/nanofibres (prosthesis bridges) into a spinal cord will take some time before it might happen. Firstly because the technology for the time being seams to be ideas, and secondly due to the public (sci) in general would be suspicious about introducing foreign objects into the spinal cord. Aside of that, I wouldn’t be surprised if technology like this in the labs would show up as a better strategies for functional return then general biotechnology. Also, artificial technology bridging one would know what are, compared to specialized bio-cells derivates, no matter how many phase I and II studies are done, cause with bio one wouldn’t know, at least not for 30-40 years thereafter, statistically for cancer and stuff I mean. Strange, isn’t it? Like I could bet money on if one had a technological implantation, versus an biological one, I think most would choose the latter. Very strange, just my thoughts though.

Just to add to Paolo's comments:

1) Novartis are moving into Phase II for their anti-Nogo antibody. They plan to recruit 160 acute patients in worldwide multi-centre trials.

2) Elizabeth Bradbury presented some of their lab's translational work for Chondroitinase in a refined chronic contusion rat model. No indication of a roadmap to clinic yet though. <Sigh on the behalf of the UK>

3) Dr Carlos Lima & Eva Sykova both voiced their frustrations at the lack of chronic studies and practical applications.

4) Geoffrey Raisman presented his work with OECs to date. Again no indication of a roadmap to clinic. Actually, there seems to be no solution to finding the correct quantity and quality of cells required to move to clinic. <Sigh on the behalf of the UK>

As Paolo mentioned, the most interesting scientific presentation was that of Michal Schwartz who is providing an alternative slant on the role of inflammation in an acute injury. Her history as an immunologist prior to a neuroscientist provides interesting insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Just to add to Paolo's comments:

1) Novartis are moving into Phase II for their anti-Nogo antibody. They plan to recruit 160 acute patients in worldwide multi-centre trials.

2) Elizabeth Bradbury presented some of their lab's translational work for Chondroitinase in a refined chronic contusion rat model. No indication of a roadmap to clinic yet though. <Sigh on the behalf of the UK>

3) Dr Carlos Lima & Eva Sykova both voiced their frustrations at the lack of chronic studies and practical applications.

4) Geoffrey Raisman presented his work with OECs to date. Again no indication of a roadmap to clinic. Actually, there seems to be no solution to finding the correct quantity and quality of cells required to move to clinic. <Sigh on the behalf of the UK>

As Paolo mentioned, the most interesting scientific presentation was that of Michal Schwartz who is providing an alternative slant on the role of inflammation in an acute injury. Her history as an immunologist prior to a neuroscientist provides interesting insight.
    Does any one know if any of the clinics in the uk are planing to do any trials . or what work are they doing
    AS I SIT HERE IN MY CHAIR . I LOOK OUT UPON THE GROUND .I WONDER WILL I EVER GET UP AND WALK A ROUND ??

http://justadollarplease.org

Quote Originally Posted by skeaman View Post
    Does any one know if any of the clinics in the uk are planing to do any trials . or what work are they doing
    I suspect the first trial in the UK will be with Chondroitinase. They are currently working on GMP for a human grade version of the enzyme.

They are also trying to produce a human grade Omega-3 intended for an eventual acute trial.

Other than that, no other trials (for regeneration of the spinal cord) planned in the UK.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Paolo for the info.

Thank you Paolo and Fly Pelican Fly for attending meeting and giving us these information

Arcy

Didn´t Professor Bellamkonda have a stabilized version of Condroitinase?

Quote Originally Posted by KIM View Post
    Didn´t Professor Bellamkonda have a stabilized version of Condroitinase?
    Good question. I guess the term "clinical grade" is relative.