Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Bowel Program Advice

Need Bowel Program Advice

I am a 46-year-old woman who has been dealing with a C 5-6 spinal injury for the past 17 years. My bowel program has become more of an issue, taking longer and requiring more laxatives and digital stim. Currently, I take seven Senna pills, two dulcolax pills, 1 tablespoon Miralax, Amatiza and a couple magic cleanse herbal capsules. I use a Magic Bullet suppository. I have bran cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, a variety of bean soup for lunch, various fruits for snacks and a well-rounded dinner. I eat very little/no processed foods. When I add something new to the assortment, it works for a couple months, then the program slows down again. Do you have any recommendations to expedite the process?

There have been quite a few threads written on this subject. Have you tried to use the search box in the upper right corner of each page. You can search all of this site for bowel program suggestions and issues. Many members have gone to a mini enema known as Enemeez. The company will send you free samples of this product. http://www.enemeez.com/ct/store/default.asp

All the best,
    GJ

Probiotics. Very important..will help so much.

Water.

Enemeez instead of magic Bullets?
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Probiotics. Very important..will help so much.

Water.

Enemeez instead of magic Bullets?
    Yes, Enemeez take the place of Magic Bullets.

Yes probiotics are very helpful.Also, I have that senna syrup works better for me than senna pills.

Every time you add something new to the "assortment", you may be just compounding whatever your problem(s) may be, especially with so many different types of stimulants your using in your repertoire. Long-term use of stimulants isn't good, and just adding more when they fail to work, is even harder on your body.

I suggest gradually cutting back on your dependence and try letting your body readjust to functioning on it's own, or with as little med as possible - maybe some stool softener and suppository to help move things down.

This may not resolve your bowel issue, but from the medication/stimulant list you've given, they are likely more stressful and harmful to you than not, and not doing you any favors in getting regulated.

20 yrs post sci. I use Magic Bullet and take the supplement Magnesium 600 mg daily to keep the stool soft. 200 mg each meal x 3=600 mg
    I also drink psyllium with each meal. Makes alot of difference since I don't eat alot.
    The psyllium gives the stool bulk which helps push it out. Good Luck!

Psyllium, a bulk-forming laxative, is used to treat constipation. It absorbs liquid in the intestines, swells, and forms a bulky stool, which is easy to pass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000092/

Quote Originally Posted by Christina Good View Post
    I am a 46-year-old woman who has been dealing with a C 5-6 spinal injury for the past 17 years. My bowel program has become more of an issue, taking longer and requiring more laxatives and digital stim. Currently, I take seven Senna pills, two dulcolax pills, 1 tablespoon Miralax, Amatiza and a couple magic cleanse herbal capsules. I use a Magic Bullet suppository. I have bran cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, a variety of bean soup for lunch, various fruits for snacks and a well-rounded dinner. I eat very little/no processed foods. When I add something new to the assortment, it works for a couple months, then the program slows down again. Do you have any recommendations to expedite the process?
    GOOD LORD! I think I have to do a program after just reading that!!

After being discharged from Craig Hospital in 1997, they gave me some literature which talked about the long-term effects of senna, how they irritate the digestion tract, and that your body really becomes dependent upon them.

I do find that a tablespoon of Muralax can do wonders over a period of time. When I had to increase my amount of pain medications due to a pressure sore, UTIs, plantar fasciitis... my programs were completely out of whack. My doctor put me on Lactulose for a few weeks and it definitely helped my evacuation process. (That sounds so technical).

I have noticed that my programs take a little bit more time over the years, from what used to be 45 minutes to now maybe an hour and a half, but only if I'm pushing it. By that I mean I use one Magic Bullet and if I don't start having results within 30 minutes, I put in another half.

Fiber and fluids, and maybe contacting a gastroenterologist to do and abdominal CT scan may not be a bad idea.

This is never a fun part of any of our bodily functions, but nonetheless a necessary evil. Good luck!

You seem to be eating well but are you doing any sort of exercise? I find that moving my body thru out the day helps speed up my b/p.

I know that there is an ongoing debate between enemeez and Magic Bullet. But since the Magic Bullet was developed by a quadriplegic and as "chick" posted above, I am very hesitant to ever add more irritating stimulus than is necessary.

One doctor told me to start with adding "fire from down below before you start adding fire from up above."

I also believe that it might be best to just let your body run its course and you will know when you have to "go" and hopefully have somebody there. Or somebody that can get there in a relatively quick period of time. Following your body's natural rhythm and combining that with your old habits might really help in the short run.

While I am doing my programs I also eat breakfast, drink a cup of coffee, and do my range of motion which helps get things going. I also have a hospital bed so I can put my head up and down, and just overall movement and getting around does wonders for the body.